Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Mar 12, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
andrew1968
Helping Mickey

Good point - I'll book open tickets - thanks!
andrew1968 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 12, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
We visited NY for the first time last August, and had a great time. I included some tips in each of our days trip reports which you might find useful - link in the signature below.

With regard to using the Subway, we found this article on Trip Advisor extremely useful. You will probably be able to get a map from your hotel, and we just made sure we knew which line we needed to catch and which station to change to if required. We also just paid each time we travelled - I think we made five or six journeys which we used our Fairfx card to pay for.

If you want to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, another useful Trip Advisor guide can be found here which gives directions from various stations in the vicinity.

Rregarding tour buses, we bought a 72 hour City Sightseeing Pass, that gave us four tours - Downtown, Brooklyn, Uptown/Central Park and a night tour. We did find these really good for seeing the main attractions, and have to say that the guides were really good and gave loads of useful information beyond their normal script.

Hope you have a great time.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 12, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
andrew1968
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
We visited NY for the first time last August, and had a great time. I included some tips in each of our days trip reports which you might find useful - link in the signature below.

With regard to using the Subway, we found this article on Trip Advisor extremely useful. You will probably be able to get a map from your hotel, and we just made sure we knew which line we needed to catch and which station to change to if required. We also just paid each time we travelled - I think we made five or six journeys which we used our Fairfx card to pay for.

If you want to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, another useful Trip Advisor guide can be found here which gives directions from various stations in the vicinity.

Rregarding tour buses, we bought a 72 hour City Sightseeing Pass, that gave us four tours - Downtown, Brooklyn, Uptown/Central Park and a night tour. We did find these really good for seeing the main attractions, and have to say that the guides were really good and gave loads of useful information beyond their normal script.

Hope you have a great time.
Thanks for those links Tony - I've printed off the subway guide to take with us.

I'll have a look at that 72 hour pass for the sightseeing buses as well thanks
andrew1968 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 12, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
andrew1968
Helping Mickey

Just thought of another few questions

The train from Newark to Penn Station - when we get to Penn Station, could we walk to our hotel? We're staying at the Crowne Plaza in Time Square, and looking at the map it's about a mile in a straight line.

I walk 3 or 4 miles every day with the dog, and we'll only have one suitcase, so I don't think it'd take long.

Next question - has anyone been to the Intrepid Sea /Air /Space museum - is it worth a visit? - it looks like it would be something I would enjoy

Finally, is the Natural History museum at Central Park good?

Thanks again everyone for all the great info so far
Old 9 Mar 12, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by andrew1968 View Post
Just thought of another few questions

The train from Newark to Penn Station - when we get to Penn Station, could we walk to our hotel? We're staying at the Crowne Plaza in Time Square, and looking at the map it's about a mile in a straight line.

I walk 3 or 4 miles every day with the dog, and we'll only have one suitcase, so I don't think it'd take long.

Next question - has anyone been to the Intrepid Sea /Air /Space museum - is it worth a visit? - it looks like it would be something I would enjoy

Finally, is the Natural History museum at Central Park good?

Thanks again everyone for all the great info so far
It's no distance at all for a couple of youngsters like you. About 20 mins straight up 7th Avenue and then onto Broadway.

And I think you mean the American Museum of Natural History... which I think is supposed to be one of the best in the World! And it was the one featured in the Ben Stiller film "Night at the Museum"!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 12, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
andrew1968
Helping Mickey

I think you're being a bit optimistic saying youngsters

Yes, that's the museum I'm thinking of, definitely have to have a look round it now I think - thanks!
Old 9 Mar 12, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post

I think you're being a bit optimistic saying youngsters

Yes, that's the museum I'm thinking of, definitely have to have a look round it now I think - thanks!
If the 1968 is your year of birth then you are a youngster!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 12, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
A useful tip we got from a bus tour guide is that 20 blocks (between streets, not avenues! ) is around a mile, so very easy to work out how far to walk
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 12, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Just to get you in the mood!Click image for larger version

Name:	New York 2009 136.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	38743

Click image for larger version

Name:	New York 2009 001.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	38744

Name:	New York 2009 061.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	38745

Name:	New York 2009 062.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	38746

oops sorry the Crowne Plaza is on the side.Thats my buddy Ang in the nice rooms at the hotel.

Edited at 08:10 PM.
soooexcited! is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 12, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
andrew1968
Helping Mickey

They look great - thanks

And Mickiengland - I'm afraid I don't think 43 is a youngster
Closed Thread