Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jan 14, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
BB139
VIP Dibber

Question New York ideas and Information please

Hi,

We are booked to go to NYC in August 2014, staying at the Staybridge Suites, a present for John's 50th.
5 days
Flying BA - LHR into JFK

I haven't been to NY for 20 years, so a lot will have changed.
Would anyone mind starting a list of ideas and places we can try?
Just two adults.

Please include; best way to get around - passes etc. and where to buy them.
Places to visit, day and night (No nightclubs this time)
Food and shopping... especially shopping

Any other information would be much appreciated especially if it is on one thread as I have a terrible time remembering where I have read things since I had a stroke last year. (That's my excuse anyway)

Many thanks for any info

Karen

BB139 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 14, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin mom
Serious Dibber

Hi bought my tickets from Viator good price and the vouchers were accepted no problem. Did Empire state building, top of the rock (amazing) and the hop on hop off water taxi to the 911 memorial which was fantastic and gave us a fab view of liberty. caught free shuttle just down from empire state building. had the most amazing time walked our legs of but did everything we wanted in 4 days. have a beer at Hartlands brewery xxxx
Old 5 Jan 14, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

Loved Woodbury Common for shopping

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Best way to get around - subway. Around $30 for. 7 day pass and worth every coin, as a visitor you could do half a dozen subway journeys a day easily. This pass is better value than PAYG fares, you can use the pass on the bus too if you want.

Places to visit. Usual suspects being TOTR, ESB, SOL, Brooklyn Bridge, WTC memorial, Centeal park etc. I'd suggest buying a guide called New York City walks, it's fantastic for ideas and cheap from amazon.

Shopping - 5th Ave, Century 21, South St Seaport, Manhattan Mall, Macys etc etc, spoiled for choices

Night time - lots of nice bars around the meat packing district. Lots just of Times Square too.

Research it well and you'll have a ball, trip no 5 for us this Easter and we ain't bored yet.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
familyofthree
Apprentice Imagineer

familyofthree's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I second the Subway for getting around. Cheap, fast, safe and reliable we use it everytime we go.

Not really one for shopping but obvious ones are 5th Ave for mainly designer stuff, Macys and Bloomingdales have to get a visit and Century 21 for a TKMaxx style experience!

Places to visit would be the usual... Top Of The Rock, Empire State Building, Liberty Island and statue of Liberty if it has reopened, 911 memorial and freedom tower, central park and Times Sq.
Old 5 Jan 14, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post

I would recommend the greenwich village food tour and everyone says the highline walk is fantastic.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fumbo View Post
I would recommend the greenwich village food tour and everyone says the highline walk is fantastic.
Highline is brilliant, it's also good wandering the streets below
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Recommend getting the New York Pass great value and includes entry to most of the attractions. We bought online and collected once we got there, they give you a little book to go along with it. You have time to order it online and have it delivered to your here in the UK. Would give you a chance to study and plan where you want to go. NYP have their own lines at some of the attractions. There is a sale on at the moment on the website.

newyorkpass/En/prices...FUhb3godg1cApg

We went to see Jersey Boys you can get discounted tickets at tkts in Times Square but I would recommend buying from the one at Seaport smaller queues and they do the following days matinees as well as same day the Times Square one only does on the day tickets.

And remember your comfiest trainers.

Alison
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
BB139
VIP Dibber

Thank you everyone,
The information is brilliant and gives a good starting point for the intineray.
Please keep adding if you think of anything else.

Much appreciated,

Karen

BB139 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 01:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
I would say the subway is the best way to get around, you can get passes for that from many of the stations.

We didn't bother with the passes, it didn't work out cheaper for us, instead I purchased tickets from attractiontix and viator using discount codes and cashback to save a few pennies. We also got some tickets on goldtstar and bought restricted viewing seats for wicked.

Some things we particularly enjoyed

- live recording of Late night with Jimmy Fallon
- Sunset boat trip
- Food tour
- Pizza Tour
- Broadway show
- Visiting the highline
- Exploring greenwich village
- Biking in central park
- EATING LOTS OF FOOD!

I would suggest reading a few trippies, we got lots of tips from those

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread