Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 14, 02:00 AM  
Link to this Post
vikry
Serious Dibber

Can't really add much to this... Except I must add Carnegie deli for a sandwich to remember and if your DH is anything like mine he will love BH photo+video on corner of 9th/34th it's a technophile's paradise and apparently at 'unbelievable' prices or so I am told and finally another from DH if you are meat eaters, the 'burger joint' at le Parker meridien W57th and 6th we think. It can be bit of a wait but has always been worth it!
Old 6 Jan 14, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
Best way to get around - subway. Around $30 for. 7 day pass and worth every coin, as a visitor you could do half a dozen subway journeys a day easily. This pass is better value than PAYG fares, you can use the pass on the bus too if you want.

Places to visit. Usual suspects being TOTR, ESB, SOL, Brooklyn Bridge, WTC memorial, Centeal park etc. I'd suggest buying a guide called New York City walks, it's fantastic for ideas and cheap from amazon.

Shopping - 5th Ave, Century 21, South St Seaport, Manhattan Mall, Macys etc etc, spoiled for choices

Night time - lots of nice bars around the meat packing district. Lots just of Times Square too.

Research it well and you'll have a ball, trip no 5 for us this Easter and we ain't bored yet.
South Street Seaport has now closed down for a complete regeneration of the area. There are only a couple of shops open near to the site. Abercrombie and Fitch is one of them (on Water Street, across the road from SSS). We found this store had lots of stuff half price. all of which was still full price on the 5th Ave store!
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BB139
VIP Dibber

Any advice or where to get tickets/passes and which to go for?

Thank you again,

BB139 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 14, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Scuttler01
slightly serious Dibber

We booked through viator for the majority of our tours-I don't know how the prices compete now but 2 yrs ago they were very competitive,. Used ticketmaster US site for Broadway with a discount code (or u can risk tkts on the performance day for cheap tickets).

Cheers
Scuttler01 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 14, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
k4ti3-x
Apprentice Imagineer

k4ti3-x's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We didn't do too many attractions so the ones we did we just booked them directly through the company's website as the city passes didn't appeal to us.
Would highly recommend doing Top Of The Rock just before sunset so you can get day and night views it was definitely a highlight for me although probably I little busier we didn't have any problems getting pictures.

Another highlight was doing the highline - we did it late may at sunset again and it was beautiful so chilled and relaxed and I think the time we went at made it more beautiful!

For shopping I really liked Soho for shopping a lot more quieter and relaxed shopping experience than the madness of 5th ave which is great too but I didn't actually get much shopping done there :p a lot more designer shops that look amazing but I couldn't afford anything haha I wished we had gone to the outlet in New Jersey we didn't know about them until we came back and something I'd do if we went again!

For food we loved shake shack - takeaway basic food but v.good and not expensive compared to other places we ate at in ny.

Also - the Subway is the easiest way to get around - study the maps before u go and buy a 7 day pass and you will be sorted!
k4ti3-x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 14, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
linder
Imagineer

linder's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Hi could you tell me what the high line is please
linder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 14, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by linder View Post
Hi could you tell me what the high line is please
Its a disused railway turned into a walkway above street level
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 14, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
linder
Imagineer

linder's Reviews
Sounds interesting how do you get to it?
linder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 14, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by linder View Post
Sounds interesting how do you get to it?
thehighline/
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 14, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
linder
Imagineer

linder's Reviews
Thankyou
Closed Thread