Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Nov 14, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr & Mrs Duck
Imagineer

Mobile NYC - best way from JFK to midtown?

Hi all

We're currently in Portugal so really wasn't expecting to post about NYC but yesterday DH completely surprised me with a 5 night trip and we're going at the end of this month! Even though we're going to Florida for my actual 30th he said he wanted to do something extra special. Well I just couldn't believe it! He told me he was taking me away for the weekend so New York never even entered my head

Anyway, he's done an awful lot of planning and I am so impressed (I think he's done a better job than me ) but we're stuck on getting to/from the airport. We were just gonna catch a cab but since yesterday I've been frantically researching and found the AirTrain? Has anyone used this?

Any info would be great
Our little girl arrived March 2016

Mr & Mrs Duck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 14, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Hi, congratulations Many people who are experts at this will be along at some point, but I too have been looking into this Which hotel are you staying at, as this may influence which station to come off at. But basically, you take the Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica. From here you can either take the E train or the LIRR train to the stop close to your hotel. As we will need to come out at Penn station, it's quicker for me to get the LIRR. You can search on you tube and you will see videos of these trips. It does not take long at all and is not complicated.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 14, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

This is a good watch
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 14, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr & Mrs Duck
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi

Thanks for the info The hotel is still being kept secret but I think DH has mentioned Penn Station?

The only thing that concerns me is endless steps. Are there escalators to use? Don't get me wrong, we both use trains on our daily commute so we're ok in that respect. I just don't want to get all hot and bothered lugging suitcases around.

Mr & Mrs Duck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 14, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Hi, I'm not too sure regarding steps ect as I've never done it, but I don't think it's anything to worry about as many people with kids ect have recommended it. I'll only be travelling with hand luggage so haven't given it that much thought But, the experts will wake up soon I understand where your coming from though as normally I avoid anything that resembles my daily hassle with travelling But, I think it's ok. Penn, as it's a major station may well be crowded though. What time do you get in, do you know?
Old 2 Nov 14, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr & Mrs Duck
Imagineer

Mobile

We fly into JFK at 5.30pm on a Saturday. Haven't got a clue what time we'll get out of the airport though.

Old 2 Nov 14, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Ok, I'm also a saturday but at 7pm. You should be fine. The LIRR is supposed to be quicker than the E train and nicer as it's not a bog standard subway train. Check trip advisor too for info, some great advice to be had on there too
Old 2 Nov 14, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr & Mrs Duck
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
Yellow cab outside arrivals, direct to Central Manhattan. Fixed Price: $70 ($58 + tip). It's easy, no faffing about, door to door.
G
Thanks G

Are there big queues for the cabs?

Old 2 Nov 14, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
Yellow cab outside arrivals, direct to Central Manhattan. Fixed Price: $70 ($58 + tip). It's easy, no faffing about, door to door.
G
yep, im going to do this, I cant be bothered with the hassle of trains when I arrive.

thanks
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 14, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

Think a yellow cab is the choice for DH & I when we go next June.

Deb