Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Nov 14, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Done both ... first time was a taxi but second time the train to penn station only because we didn't know who what why and when the first time ... train all the time for us now we went from JFK ... go to ground transportation take the air train to Jamaica station then jump on the Long Island train(see more than the other train ) to penn station so easy 12.99 dollars each wouldn't do it any other way now ... There are lifts at the station but we used the. Stairs large suitcase each plus 2 hand luggage cases took us less than an hour from JFK to penn station ...you can get a taxi to your hotel from penn station but we walked cos we had been before knew where things were so to speak ... We just sort of looked into which exit of penn station was best for us regarding the location of hotel ... how that helps ...
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 14, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

No way could I be bothered with public transport, back in 2006 we had a 7 hour delay didn't arrive till 11.30pm and got yellow cab outside terminal. This year we used Carmel and had no problems.
Old 2 Nov 14, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I took the Airtrain then subway from JFK - to Port Authority. As I was on my own it was the cheapest option but surprisingly easy. I will do it again when I go in March.

My tip is buy the 7 day subway pass - when it is cold and your feet are tired it is priceless - and a steal at $31!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 14, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

We are just waiting to go back to JFK now
We prebooked a transfer for getting from the airport to our hotel,which was fine if a little hair raising! Think that was £14 each- can't remember the name of the company now-go link I think.
We contemplated getting the train back but with two full cases, hand luggage and very tired feet hips and backs we are going to get a cab. As discussed already that's $52 flat fee plus tolls and tip. We've walked approx 50 miles in the two full and two par days we've been here and I think a cab will be less stressful!
It's been our first visit and we've really enjoyed ourselves. Have a great time
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 14, 04:04 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I always get public transport where possible these days. I enjoy it.

The time that should have been the worst was landing in Heathrow after a flight from Melbourne via KL, and having to get the tube, and then changing lines as I wanted to get to Aldgate with an enormous amount of luggage.. Was actually super easy

Bangkok is one of my favourite cities to use the public transport, clean and super air conditioned.

We land in Delhi in December after a long night flight (12.5 hours), and are quite excited about our first trip on the metro
Old 12 Nov 14, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Mobile

We have used dial 7 cars, a cab and the train. We will be using the train again on Friday. We are using the train as we don't have to change, if I did I would probably get a cab again. I would try find out the hotel name so you can work our nearest subway. If he has said Penn station , it's most likely 34th street Penn station
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 14, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Cab is most convenient and train best value and in all honesty the train will get you there quicker but if it's your first visit it can be a bit daunting
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 14, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
sophie1405
Imagineer

I would say get the train, its right in the airport.

It costs 7.50 thats it otherwise in a taxi its like $60, if you have alot of people maybe get a taxi but i have been getting trains for my past 6 trips to new york. i stay in times square everytime i go and the E train stops in 42nd street and then 50th x

Can't stay away <3
sophie1405 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 14, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

If we catch the train do we get any views coming in to Manhattan or is it on the underground? It's our first time in August so wondering which will be the best experience?
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 14, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

we are going to be staying down in south Manhattan (near Brooklyn bridge I think) and I'm tempted price wise to get the train but thinking that with a 3 and 5 year old plus luggage (going onto florida after NY) that we may just have to bite the bullet and get a cab. it sounds like its a standard fare so shouldn't be worried about getting "ripped off"?
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread