Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 10 Jan 17, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Hi Tink
Isn't Bangkok just awesome? The train market was a fabulous experience.

What a pain for your daughter though.

For everyone else I'll just explain about our KL experience. We has been staying in 2 outstanding hotels in Bangkok and Chiang Mains- CM in particular was seriously fabulous.
Our KL hotel was full of old fat loud Australians or Australian families. Bit like their version of Benidorm 🙄 the staff were completely disinterested in being there.
It was also soooo hot and humid (mid may) it was unbearable. It was the end of the season so out of the 100s of beach restaurants only 4-5 were open (but we did find a fab one)
Also most of the excursion companies were on shut down for the summer
West also found it very tacky touristy and very expensive in comparison to CM and Bangkok.

That said for us it was mainly the hotel that we hated.

We have has other friends who went in October and loved it.

We'd definitely go back to Thailand just not KL.

Katie x x
Funnily enough we didn't enjoy Bangkok as much this time, maybe because we had the kids with us, humidity etc - although we enjoyed the trips and sights, we all looked forward to getting back to KL!

Our experience of KL was so different - our beach was idyllic (Pak Weep is no 1 in KL and I can see why), resort staff so friendly, lovely beach restos just a stroll along the beach. Locals at restos and bars so friendly - they spoke to us every day as we passed etc, looked after me when I was ill - so lovely.

We did go to Bang Niang market a few times and enjoyed that - fab street food and while it was a bit more expensive than BKK we preferred it as it was more chilled.

We did a tour and had to collect a few others from hotels at other parts of KL and we agreed that we wouldn't have wanted to be staying in the other parts, so perhaps we are aligned in that. I think we were very lucky with where we were. Yes it was out of the way, but had enough and meant we got the peace and paradise with it, while having the short taxi ride to other stuff if we fancied it.

I would go back in a heartbeat if money were no object. As it is, we save hard for our holidays and it's never cheap with 4 of us, so we tend not to go back to the same place as the world is a big place. I'd be sorely tempted to return to the same resort though and that's a first for me!

Hope you're having a great time away x
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Myakka Lodge View Post
You know what, my instinct says back to Asia somewhere but my head tells me give it a miss, go closer to home for a more restful holiday and save some pennies too (we could only go for 2 weeks, no longer and sometimes Asia needs longer to appreciate it as well). Similar with us, we did 3 weeks in Orlando in summer 2015, so knew summer 2016 (Portugal) wasn't going to compare, however, while we thoroughly enjoyed Orlando, it wasn't a repeater holiday for us (we've done it and probably wouldn't rush back), so Portugal was lovely - we took it for what it was, an all inclusive, relaxing holiday break in a nice area, with a short flight - but in the back of my mind I had Thailand this Christmas coming so that probably helped! I'm not quite at that mindset for this summer yet - I seem to have reignited a sense of adventure I think I've buried since having the children (DH and I did some great travelling before the kids - but nowhere near enough!).

Where did you stay in Portugal... sounds lovely and just what we'd need after this year. I plan , plan then plan some more so 2015 ended up being a disaster for us with our last minute change.
Although we are going to California I just can't seem to get started albeit everything is booked and just a case of organising what we want to see and do. I am keen to find somewhere nice for 2018 which is a big year with 3 out of the 4 having significant birthdays but sadly even though mine is right in the middle of the summer hols we have to be back before for the exam results.
Honestly, Portugal was lovely but I wouldn't recommend our resort. It was a cheap (ish) and cheerful AI on the outskirts of Albufeira but not somewhere I'd return - food was great actually, hotel the cleanest I've come across but it wasn't fabulous - pool could have been better, kids club not great! I'm sure there are better places - it wasn't bad, in fact nice in some ways, but not that great! We did a few trips and did like Portugal on the whole though.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by hilz22 View Post
It does break the holiday up doesn't it.

I can't wait it looks beautiful and because there are 2 families staying. We split the cost and it cost the same for 2 weeks as one week in a caravan on a haven site. I know there are flights as well but they shouldn't be much
Ooh it does look beautiful! Stunning in fact.

Where did you stay again in Phuket? I got talking to people on the plane and they hated it - said they would only go back if they went to Khao Lak or Krabi! I don't know Phuket well enough but obv it has a certain reputation though I know it's not all like that!

I've got friends who holiday in mainland Spain every year and they are hard to please so clearly it's got a lot going for it (they also like their sports). Prob is we are outdoor/trip people but not really sporty (well DH is but on holiday he's happy to take a break from it)! So it sometimes cuts down the options lol!
Old 10 Jan 17, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Tink think you should look at a med or adriatic cruise, each day is a new adventure, with places to explore, (and you can always book a bike tour, or hike a volcano or do a wine tasting visit etc) the ships also have fab food, entertainment or just the wave watching each sunset...

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Looloo - I had a look at your blog - what do you do? You are one lucky lady!

I fancied the Western Med cruise with Royal Carribean (dates were good for school hols in summer), but there aren't any decent cabins left. No outside unless we want a suite (sadly not enough funds for that having just done our big holiday!).
Old 11 Jan 17, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tink75 View Post
Ooh it does look beautiful! Stunning in fact.

Where did you stay again in Phuket? I got talking to people on the plane and they hated it - said they would only go back if they went to Khao Lak or Krabi! I don't know Phuket well enough but obv it has a certain reputation though I know it's not all like that!

I've got friends who holiday in mainland Spain every year and they are hard to please so clearly it's got a lot going for it (they also like their sports). Prob is we are outdoor/trip people but not really sporty (well DH is but on holiday he's happy to take a break from it)! So it sometimes cuts down the options lol!
We stayed in Karon, loved it, I have never met such friendly people anywhere else. Yes there where seedy places but we avoided those and stayed in the family areas. Fancying KL next time I think

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 17, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Looloo - I had a look at your blog - what do you do? You are one lucky lady!

I fancied the Western Med cruise with Royal Carribean (dates were good for school hols in summer), but there aren't any decent cabins left. No outside unless we want a suite (sadly not enough funds for that having just done our big holiday!).
I work in entertainment department for small cruise line, I dont sell cruises but I do love them! Lots of cabins open up nearer to departure, so keep looking, celebrity cruises also do fabulous med cruises might be worth a look.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 17, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Thanks Hilz - I couldn't remember where you were. There are some lovely resorts there and good prices in the summer but knowing our luck it would rain all the time! I know you were lucky with the weather though. The East side has their monsoon season now and they, and the far south have had horrific flooding!

Looloo - I'll check out Celebrity cruises - thanks. I liked the itinerary of the RC one though as it covered Rome, Venice and Barcelona - most just include one or two of those.
Old 11 Jan 17, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by hilz22 View Post
We stayed in Karon, loved it, I have never met such friendly people anywhere else. Yes there where seedy places but we avoided those and stayed in the family areas. Fancying KL next time I think
When I went to Phuket I stayed in Kata so night next door, absolutely LOVED it. Its only Patong which is seedy
Old 11 Jan 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

Thanks Hilz - I couldn't remember where you were. There are some lovely resorts there and good prices in the summer but knowing our luck it would rain all the time! I know you were lucky with the weather though. The East side has their monsoon season now and they, and the far south have had horrific flooding!

Looloo - I'll check out Celebrity cruises - thanks. I liked the itinerary of the RC one though as it covered Rome, Venice and Barcelona - most just include one or two of those.
Yeah we where lucky with the weather just a couple of down pours a day, but the rough seas did stop us from enjoying boat trips we would have enjoyed

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List