Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 1 Dec 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post

What vouchers for pre-teens and older teen?

We will be visiting my in-laws next week, including DH’s two siblings and this will be it before Christmas. Four nieces and nephews in the family, two girls, two boys aged between 12 and 17.

We don’t spend a lot of time with them as we live in different parts of the country, the parents would not dream of sending us a present list not the done thing in either of our families, so I think vouchers are the best present for all. I normally don’t like voucher presents but I think it works for children / young adults.

Anyway my default was to think of Next vouchers, but then I wondered if it was the right age. I think Next is a bit young for me, but I am nearly 50 and maybe it is a bit too old for them.

As we are not parents we are probably not up to speed with what is popular, so I thought I should take some dibb advice from people more in touch than perhaps we are as to what would be a popular voucher choice.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My 2 are 13 and 11 and would prefer cash to vouchers. They like to use their Christmas money to buy a larger value present. It’s difficult to do that with vouchers.

If you prefer vouchers you may be better getting the One 4 All card, as it can be used at multiple retailers.
Old 1 Dec 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My son is 18 and would love cinema vouchers or restaurant ones or another favourite would be amazon. He hates next!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

As I teen I had no interest in Next, it's more for kids or 30+. What about those One4all vouchers you get at the post office?

For the girls New Look would be a safe choice
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
My 2 are 13 and 11 and would prefer cash to vouchers. They like to use their Christmas money to buy a larger value present. It’s difficult to do that with vouchers.

If you prefer vouchers you may be better getting the One 4 All card, as it can be used at multiple retailers.
We don’t like to give cash as a gift, it seems not right to us but maybe we should have a rethink about that as you make a good point. I have just said to DH that the first response was to suggest cash and he immediately said no. I will look into the One 4 all card. We have previously done something which was like a preloaded credit card, so they could use it anywhere, but I can’t find it again.
Old 1 Dec 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
My son is 18 and would love cinema vouchers or restaurant ones or another favourite would be amazon. He hates next!
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
As I teen I had no interest in Next, it's more for kids or 30+. What about those One4all vouchers you get at the post office?

For the girls New Look would be a safe choice
Yes I was thinking Next was the wrong choice, thinking back, I didn’t shop there when I was a teen, I liked it in my 20s but then grew out of it mid way through my 30s.

This One4all seems to be a good option. I am glad I checked with dibbers.
Old 1 Dec 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have nearly 12 year old and a nearly 14 year old, with nephews and nieces between 6-18. My 2 would be happy with Amazon, Game, JD Sports (the oldest is a girl and she is happy with these too) The older nephews would be happy with money which I don't mind as they're nearly 18 and saving for driving lessons, but if I was to buy them vouchers for Amazon, Game, JD, cinema or their fave restaurants they wouldn't be disappointed!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

As an alternative view on the cash/vouchers question when my eldest was younger he definitely preferred a vouchers because: 'you're parents can make you save money but with a voucher you have to buy yourself something!'

My 13yo boy would like a Game, Xbox or Amazon voucher

For girls what about superdrug, boots, H & M, River Island?

Or if you have time beforehand most shopping centres do giftcards that can be used anywhere within the centre if you can get them one for their local one.

Or I would second the idea of cinema/restaurant vouchers.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I would be careful with vouchers, if a buisness goes into liquidation the vouchers will be worth nothing!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

It is hard if your not sure of what they like - Maybe restaurant ones that allow use in more than one restaurant, boots or Superdrug for girls . I do like the vouchers that are used like cash but you have to buy the set amount and then there is normally an activation charge of around £3 which is ok if your fine about it but I see it as an extra expense ! I normally buy a lot of all for one vouchers too .