Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Feb 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

To me if money is an issue I would knock out the lounge and have a hotel. I'm not a great fan of lounges anyway tho so maybe that's just me.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

I'm in the book the hotel the night before camp! Always do - can't be doing with the stress in the early hours. Just keep checking the site for a drop in price.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney Nanny View Post
So my BA flight from Gatwick in September has changed to nearly an hour earlier.

So instead of me leaving at 430 I would have to leave at 330.
I really don't fancy that time of getting up and leaving.

So I thought I'd book the premier inn for the night before and take a leisurely drive down.

But, it is soooo flaming expensive.
I always book the airport lounge, solo traveller so like the calm and safety of charging phones and eating somewhere peaceful.

would you just suck it up and leave earlier or would you spend the extra and get the hotel?

Thanks for reading this far
Based on your timeline, travel lodge at Gatwick airport is only £58, any reason that’s ruled out?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

PI is North terminal so you’ve still got to get to the South so it’ll take no longer to stay at the Travelodge which is cheaper and the transfer is really quick . Has a decent bar restaurant (nicer than Premier ) and all the rooms are new.
I prefer it to Premier .
We are paying £44 August bank holiday Saturday (just off to see if my flight time has changed too now)

Edited at 01:43 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Been to the US about 20 times... we ALWAYS do an overnighter no matter what time our flight... we live in Essex but know what the worlds greatest car park (the M25) can be like.. so it's normally the Prem Inn from Heathrow... and a freebie (Hilton) with some Tesco vouchers if we fly from Gatwick... it's a earlier start to the holiday for us and it's also relaxing for me knowing i'm not gonna have a breakdown if anything goes wrong on the M25...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We live a couple of hours fro Heathrow and jut over an hour to Gatwick.

Even with a 1pm flight next month we are going up the night before - we ALWAYS go the night before.

The only time we didnt was when we had a 6pm fight and DH was still "technically" working till 5pm.

We start our holiday the minute the front door is shut but really think "from now on" when we check in at the night before hotel!

xxx
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoNick
Proud to wear my Ears

I know the hotel is pricey and not ideal on top of most probably an expensive holiday but I’d suggest book the hotel for the night before and class it as starting your holiday a day earlier. Have a relaxing bath, glass of wine and watch a film. At least you’ll have a good sleep ahead of a very long day.
OrlandoNick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Definitely the night before, they shut junctions on the M25 at night so your leisurely drive could become a nightmare, I know from experience.
Much better to be asleep in a hotel than worrying about getting there on time.
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OrlandoNick View Post
I know the hotel is pricey and not ideal on top of most probably an expensive holiday but I’d suggest book the hotel for the night before and class it as starting your holiday a day earlier. Have a relaxing bath, glass of wine and watch a film. At least you’ll have a good sleep ahead of a very long day.
Now this is such a good mind set, and has persuaded me to book
Thank you
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

We drive from Glastonbury to Gatwick for most longhaul holidays (about 3 hours). Every time we book the Premier Inn - because as a number have said - it has the restaurant and bar in it.

You said you like to book the airport lounge? For the time in the departure lounge, versus stresses of early starts, isn't this an easy option to give up and put towards the hotel?
khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List