Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Feb 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Booking Flights

I have never booked flights separate always a package... all new to me...if I book eg VA or BA, when is the best time to look and also do I wait to my return flight is realised or do I book them separate, I hope that makes sense. I also have 8 thousand VA points I no that’s hardly any, but can I use them at all. I have also thought or maybe doing a fly drive and not picking up the car, but does this make it more expensive usually. I have also heard you can book a flight and add a cheap hotel for the night and not use it and this can make it cheaper and you then have ATOL protection. I’m not going to September 2021 and this is a new process for me, so any help please as I’m a newbie to this.
Old 23 Feb 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I can only answer a few of your questions.

VS flights are released 330 days out and BA 355. Most people book returns I guess so those dates are from your return dates.

We always hire a car but we did find a couple of years ago that a BA WT+ Fly Drive with a full size car for 4 weeks was cheaper than the VS PE flight alone.

Lots of Dibbers will say that BA is awful and VS can do no wrong - and naturally vice versa. However for us it's a 9 hour bus journey in a tin tube and ££££ matters to us. No discernible difference that would make us pay a substantial amount more for either.

Booking a fly drive will turn it into a package with ATOL protection and you can normally pay just a deposit.

Mick

Edited at 05:41 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Thanks so much, you have been very helpful.
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

Flights tend to be expensive when first released and then drop a few weeks later. I recommend keeping an eye on skyscanner, although I'm not sure how that works with a fly drive, I've only ever booked separate flights.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

With “legacy” carriers like BA and Virgin, one way fares are expensive. Unless you are booking the flight with miles, it’s always better to wait until your return dates are released and book a return.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List