Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 24 Apr 18, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyMadAng View Post
As you're not sure about leaving the slow cooker on for that length of time, why not try it on a day when you're at home all day or popping in and out. Maybe at the weekend?
Thats a great idea 😃 I am off tomorrow so I will try it then.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
I’d only ever had them in a dish from the Chinese before a few weeks ago They haven’t really got a strong flavour but they are good for you and filling. I’m having mixed beans this week for a change!

You can also buy a plug timer if you don’t feel confident leaving the slow cooker on for a long time. That’s what I did when I first started using it.

Also DH made this togarashi popcorn chicken that Tim Tracker had on one of his vlogs last night. It was amazing! You can’t do it in the slow cooker but it only takes about 15 minutes. It’s so tasty.
Can you buy them from Tesco? a timmer is a good idea for when we are out. I am going to try having the slow cooker on for a long time tomorrow when I am off. If I still dont feel confident I will try a timer.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Can you buy them from Tesco? a timmer is a good idea for when we are out. I am going to try having the slow cooker on for a long time tomorrow when I am off. If I still dont feel confident I will try a timer.
I buy mine from Asda/Sainsbury’s but I presume Tesco would do them. They’ll be near the tins of kidney beans, chickpeas etc.

Good idea!

Edit - just had a look and Tesco do them, tesco/groceries/en-G...FVQi0wodxa8OCg
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Based on a macaroni salad I had in WDW last year, I've started making this in huge batches - 2 handfuls of dry macaroni, cook until - well, cooked! Cool, stirring occasionally so it doesn't all stick together. Then mix up in a big bowl with chopped fresh tomatoes, a handful of frozen peas, and some finely sliced celery. Couple of large spoons of mayonnaise. Done!

Pop this in the fridge, it lasts for at least 5 days. I then take a sealed plastic bowl to work each day, and have this with a boiled egg or a bit of ham.

This week I added some tinned sweetcorn, but the veg can be changed out for whatever you like, as long as you don't use something too watery, like cucumber for example, which would water down the mayo. It could probably be made with low-fat mayo if you preferred that.

I might try adding some grated cheese next time! Anyway, the point is, you can make a large amount of this from just a small number of quite cheap ingredients, and as long as you don't get fed up with eating it day after day, it lasts for quite a while.

I started making this as I got so fed up with sandwiches, but then was just eating bags of crisps and other junk food for lunch instead, which is why I've put so much weight on in the last 12 months. Actually, I think I may buy some low-fat mayo next week ...
sounds nice gonna try this thanks
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List