Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 2 Apr 11, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
hsl500
Imagineer

is this right?

hiya my son whos 4yrs is due to start school sept , hes my youngest and had a PVL at birth which showed up some damage of his brain, they are query cp but no official diagnosis , he is very unsteady on his feet and falls a lot, also he has little pincer grip in his hands and can not hold a pencil or write simple things his peers are doing yet.
we had his parents evening last night and got told he doesnt need extra support and non will be provided as he has to be a year behind academically and he is not, he knows his colours and has it all up there starting to recognise letters its more the physical side which they have said and admitted he does have a physcal dissability but until he is 1yr behind which will happen as he cant hold a pencil ect yet they cant offer any support for him.
just wondered if this is the normal , he used to have physio every week but due to cuts its now once a month/5 weeks when she can fit him in, gave me a list of stuff to do at home with him which we do daily , we had hydro booked this week and next but they have double booked him so will just be this tuesday now :angry:
thanks

Believe in yourself and you wont go far wrong
hsl500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 11, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Im Presuming he has an OT? which is why he has physio? If so I would ask for the OT to go into school to observe and then for OT to make some recommendations for the school to follow. If a child has an outside agency involved I was under the impression school needed to help if they could.

I hope someone who knows more comes along soon to help, but failing the above I would try and get an appointment with your consultant and see what they suggest.

Hope you get it sorted soon x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 11, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
hsl500
Imagineer

Hi thanks the OT has been in and seen him, she said cant really do much till he starts school to keep an eye on him but refer back when starts school if needs help, problem with this is waiting list is over 12 months to see the OT in first place , so he would be 2 yrs behind, when told OT she just said oh yea thats a point?
il ring paed next week and ask to be seen if can, but its a 8 month wait for paed these days grrrr
thanks

Believe in yourself and you wont go far wrong
hsl500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 11, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post

This doesn't sound right at all. Our DS has dyspraxia and also has problems with pincer grip. He holds pen/cutlery with whole hand rather than fingers which affects control/writing/cutting food etc..
Also, had lots of gross motor programmes done with OT as well as fine motor therapy.

Academically he is better than average, but still has OT input.

He is 11 though, so not sure if this could be a "wait and see" approach because of your son's age?
Old 8 Apr 11, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post

That does not sound right to me at all. Surely even without a diagnosis the fact he has additional needs has been established? There have been many cases where diagnoses were not confirmed prior to starting school but there is still provision for additional support for learning with a non-specific diagnosis. Has he attended any nursery or other pre-school provision and were his needs assessed and provided for there? If so they should hand over that information as part of the transition to school, if not I would contact your LEA immediately and speak to them about formally assessing his needs before he starts school.
Old 9 Apr 11, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi, try getting in touch with parent Partnership, we found these useful when speaking about our childs needs at school. If they can't help you they might give you a contact for someone who can.

parentpartnership.uk/

Martin
Old 9 Apr 11, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread