Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 21 Apr 11, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi there,

Just want to add my 2p worth

We're on our first big holiday with my two boys - both have adhd & attachment difficulties. My youngest has been just like your Emily - behaviour going downhill before we went and they've both had their moments since we've been away... (including major blowout from both of them in the swimming pool at the hotel last night!)

But I still feel that we were right to come here (Anaheim / southern California) .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 11, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by lozzer31 View Post
Hiya
Just wanted to add that it seems there will be a few of us there around the same time with a child with extra needs.
My ds1 is similar to what you've been describing with regards to the waiting in lines, no time concept, needing to know what's happening etc so we have done a plan this time.
Last year I cried when we went to the Prime Outlets shopping mall (at top of I Drive)...it was the only day we thought we might be ok without his wheelchair and by god we wish we hadn't! ... he got so tired he had a massive blow out in a shoe shop and was swearing, screaming, hitting us and trying to throw the shoes Hubby managed to get him outside the shop but then a gang of afro caribbean guys started to congregate around him and my husband as if they were about to join in (they wouldn't have realised what was happening probably just thought it was a fight) but then he started to calm down and the gang dispersed and he came back into the shop (SIL was trying on and we were there a while ) Needless to say we won't be making the same mistake this year I was so scared!
Sorry to go around the houses but basically as long as you go at Emma's pace and be prepared to change plans/times should she need the rest then all should be ok. I know people have said that they wouldn't let children being tired change their plans but to be honest with our children it's totally different and I would say that you've done a fantastic job of planning parks in the morning and hotel pool in the afternoon as the parks will be less busy first thing (generally) and YOU will also need some rest and relaxation time so the afternoons will be perfect for that.
Flights with Virgin should be fine and just to say we have always checked in at the PE desk for special assistance so might be worth asking as it's usually a shorter queue
Also are you going to be ok going through the airport with all your baggage etc? Only when you get to MCO there are some bag people who will help with your bags right to your transfer area... we used them last year and they were fantastic we paid them $1 per bag (I think) and we asked on the plane if they could arrange someone to be there and help us. If you see us around (3 adults 1 ds 15 whilst we there and a 2 year old ds) please say hello
Hope that helps and SEE YOU THERE
Thankyou and I will ask on the plane about assistance at the airport, would be willing to pay $10 per bag if need be, Emma hates the bit where you have to go though the body scanner, that in itself will be a challenge! and if they drag me away to be ? for something, omg not just Emma but the other 2 will have a fit! .

Of course will say hi if we see each other, am sure we will spot many other dibbers, I will be hard to miss, either Emma will be wearing a dressing up outfit as will Libby and Jake will have something bright and colourful one.

Emma spent the whole day with my parents (so I could spend some time with the other 2) and the minute we went for tea she was back to normal, she was fine with my parents, tomorrow we are having a complete rest day, nothing at all planned apart from watching Enchanted on tv.

Thanks again for all your advice, the support means so much.
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 11, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Hands Mensing View Post
Hi there,

Just want to add my 2p worth

We're on our first big holiday with my two boys - both have adhd & attachment difficulties. My youngest has been just like your Emily - behaviour going downhill before we went and they've both had their moments since we've been away... (including major blowout from both of them in the swimming pool at the hotel last night!)

But I still feel that we were right to come here (Anaheim / southern California) .
Have a wonderful holiday and hope the rest of the time goes smoothly for you.
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 11, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lozzer31
slightly serious Dibber

Ahhhh yes we love Enchanted... and Princess diaries 2 is on just before too!
Enjoy x
lozzer31 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 11, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread