Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 4 Oct 17, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post

pip home assessment

Got a letter yesterday about home assessment for PIP on Friday the 13th :angry: My nerves are wrecked does anyone have any idea what will happen.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 17, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Mobile

It’s pretty painless. The person will just come in and talk to you about your illness or disability and how it affects your day to day life. Be honest, but also give worst case scenarios: don’t do the “stiff upper lip” thing, because you will lose points if you downplay your condition or the impact it has on your life.

I don’t know if they will make you do simple physical movements like raising your arms, getting up from a chair etc, as my husband has epilepsy so that kind of thing wasn’t relevant (though it did happen in the DLA assessment).

If it’s mental health related and you take Diazepam, for example, then it’s ok to take it before the visit if you need to. They are well used to people being nervous, and in our experience they have always been very nice. If you want to have someone there to support you, or if you have a carer (even if that’s your partner or parent, not a professional carer), then it’s absolutely fine to have them there, and I would encourage that, so you have extra support. It’s also helpful if your condition affects your memory.

You don’t need to go out of your way to make the house prestine for the visit, and in fact you probably shouldn’t as it makes it look like you have more ability than you may actually have. So really just be as normal as possible - they are there to get a picture of how your condition affects your life. It’s easy to say “don’t be nervous” but of course you will be nervous and, realistically, they do expect that.

Also remember that you can appeal the decision if your PIP is refused, and you should do that if it’s refused, as with certain conditions the appeal is upheld a huge amount of the time.

Best of luck!
Tiggerific2018 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by abbs View Post
Got a letter yesterday about home assessment for PIP on Friday the 13th :angry: My nerves are wrecked does anyone have any idea what will happen.
Hi just a little bit of advice please don’t worry about it . You can pre see the questions go to benefits and work guide you can trust take the self test for p I p . Hope this help and good luck
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 17, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

I was also going to suggest the benefit and work guide. It really is a great source of information. I would also suggest, joining, as they have a members guide only and it really did help. I would also suggest to be honest, give them your worst days scenario so they understand how your health affects, you on a daily basis. Most of them are pleasant and understand, they are doing a job, for DWP, make sure they understanding the difficulties you have in each section for e.g. Cooking. I hope all goes well.
Old 4 Oct 17, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Agree with previous posts about describing how your condition(s) affect you on your worst days but also be prepared for the question - on how many days a week/month are you like this?
Prepare yourself a script/aide memoire with what you want to say relating to each PIP criterion. This wil help avoid the 'I wish I'd said that' scenario. Good luck.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 17, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Many people accept their limitations and don't realise how much it affects them. So be careful not to underplay your problems.

For example, when asked can you cook a meal from scratch? Many claimants will say yes they manage. In reality, they sit to clean veg, get someone else to lift heavy saucepans, make easier meals to save time and effort or prepare some things in advance as they can't stand for long. Some even say they do cook a meal from scratch but actually mean they cook ready meals or quick meals.

This makes a huge difference when it comes to the points given. But be honest and explain the day to day problems as simply as you can. If you are turned down, you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration and then possibly an appeal. Citizen's Advice can help with these, but there are time limits on sending these in so try to visit a CAB office as soon as you get a decision as it can take time to get an appointment. Although hopefully it won't come to that, good luck.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 17, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you with my condition i keep an eye on my blood pressure it is well up do they check this.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 17, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Hi again, as I am a CAB advisor based in the office, I am not entirely sure that they check BP. I believe they may do if it is relevant to your claim, so possibly they will test.
They will ask you to attempt a few physical tests, to test your mobility. Again, don't push yourself too hard, just do as much or as little as you would manage on an average day. The link below may help with telling you what to expect.

I know these assessments can be very stressful, but try not to let it get to you enough to affect your health. Any questions I can help with, please ask. Good luck, hope it goes well 😊

citizensadvice.uk/be...ur-assessment/

Edited at 09:02 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
sunny1
Excited about Disney

to be very honest I wish I asked for a home assessment

my assessment for epilepsy went from bad to awful and it started when the "nurse" didn't know the difference between my types of seizures so he only noted the big ones and ignored the daily ones that limit me the most

they never wrote to my GP which I presumed they would so if you can get a medical report from your GP then do so before hand and have them include it

good luck !

I go awarded 0 points for everything even though I have aids and adaptations to my home, like I said I had a awful assessment
sunny1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 17, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

The assessment is necessary.

Try not to stress and be honest.

Disney332