Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 14 Nov 17, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

large batch soup recipes

Hi

My DS has "volunteered" me to make a large batch of soup to sell at the school Christmas fair.

Has anyone got any good soup recipes which they would work in a large batch cooking?

It will be served in little polystyrene cups so probably best not have stringy noodles or anything difficult too difficult to eat whilst walking round the fair. There are plastic spoons though so doesn't have to be completely lump free.

If you haven't got a recipe, I'd appreciate just some opinions on what sort of soup is likely to sell best.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

I don't think you can go wrong with Leek and Potato soup , it's simple and cheap to make .
No need to add the cream/ creme fraiche if you don't want to, to keep it simple .

Leek and potato soup

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
225g/8oz potatoes, cubed
2 medium leeks,sliced
1.2 litres/2 pints vegetable stock
150ml/5fl oz double cream or crème fraîche
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions, potatoes and leeks. Cook for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften.
Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Season well and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Whizz with a hand blender or in a blender until smooth. Reheat in a clean pan, stir in the cream or crème fraîche, heat through and serve.
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I do carrot and pepper "magic soup" for the kids when they are ill... tastes lovely.

Couple of onions, kg of carrots, 3 peppers, chop, saute in a little oil till soft, add a couple of pints veg stock and simmer for 20min - then blend with a stick blender till silky. Suitable for vegetarians/vegans/coeliacs/dairy free too.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

I've never made my own soup but recently my friend made a big batch of french onion soup with left over onions from a bonfire night party. It was lush.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 17, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Good ideas, thank you.

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 17, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Tomato and basil is super easy. I use the bbc good food recipe . Well I used to but now I just wing it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 17, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Minestrone should be easy to make in a large quantity and would be filling with veg and small pasta shapes, but still drinkable from a cup.
My favourite soup is a really simple Curried Parsnip soup using Knorr Curry Flavour Pots - the recipe is on a label attached to the box.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I'm another who would go for tomato and basil soup! Super easy to make, tasty and easy to eat from a cup.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 17, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

WhereIbelong has raised a valid point, make sure you have a card with the ingredients to hand so allergy sufferers can check for themselves.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 17, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

I would avoid the soups with pasta & check the stock. I am gluten free
Avoid dairy. DD is lactose intolerant
Avoid celery,mustard, tomato as common allergens
Have a list of ingredients available/keep the packaging if using stock cubes/pots.
Keep it vegetarian/vegan
I would go with a potato/leek, simple lentil, red pepper. I love soup.
My sister has the gene that makes coriander taste like soap so maybe avoid that one too.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List