Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 21 Dec 18, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

If you want a recipe, the Mary Berry one is lovely.
I agree, the jars of white sauce are easy. Otherwise, the all in one method is easiest. If you mix tour flour with cold milk first to form a paste. You shouldn't get any lumps!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

I have read a few places about using ricotta cheese. Where would that go? 🤪
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 18, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

I don't bother with white sauce at all, I used a mix of grated mozzarella and chedder. BUt also add a layer of sliced hard boiled eggs, something an italian lady told me ages ago, her Mammas recipe. Mince and sauce as most people have suggested. Also if you let the ragu cool then reheat it adds depth to the flavour
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

One of my colleagues bakes her mince rather than frying, I think it's a Jamie Oliver recipe. I keep on meaning to try it but always forget!

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Planty
Getting Excited

I do the same but sprinkle an oxo cube in whist browning the mince and also a splash of Worcester Sauce.
Planty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 18, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I use Lidl's Bechamel sauce from their Italiamo range. Stock up every time they have Italian Week but some of the bigger stores stock it all the time. It comes in a carton rather than a jar.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 18, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post

The only lasagne I make myself is s duck and chianti one. Slow make the ragu with pancetta, duck legs on the bone, carrots, onion and cianti. Strip the meat off bone at the end.

I have never had any trouble making bechamel, make a roux first and then stir constantly as milk is added to it. I always use lasagne sheets that do not need to be precooked.

Any other lasagne, I would buy ready made.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Lasagne is my favourite thing to cook, I use a Good Food recipe I found years ago. To make the meat sauce, sauté 2 finally chopped onions in olive oil until really soft, add 6 crushed cloves of garlic, 2 bay leaves and 2 tsps of mixed herbs. Meanwhile brown 1kg of lean mince. Add to onion mix and combine. Pour in 1 glass of red wine and 4 cartons of passata or chopped tomatoes. Add 6 tablespoons of ketchup, crumble in a beef stock cube and season. Can also add more herbs. Bring to the boil and simmer for at least an hour. Can always add more passata if wanting to make a bigger batch.
Layer up with meat sauce, white sauce (I always use a jar!), grated mozzarella then lasagne sheet. Repeat 2 more times then on top of last layer just white sauce and cheddar cheese. Bake for about 30 mins.
I serve mine with garlic roasted new potatoes and garlic bread! God I'm starving just thinking about it

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
2019DisneyEvans
Excited about Disney

I use half pork, half steak mince, onion, garlic, celery, carrot, tinned toms and passatta, Worcestershire sauce, oxo, herbs and bovril, a pinch of sugar and a dash of brown sauce. I use fresh lasagne sheets, cheddar and mozzarella and Delias all in one white sauce recipe, it’s foolproof (if I can do it anyone can!) I always make loads for the freezer in the little tinfoil tray as it’s such a faff.
2019DisneyEvans is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another Jar user here, preferably Ragu. Instead of breadcrumbs on top, I put half my granted cheese on, then sprinkle over a crushed up bag of cheese and onion crisps, then the other half of the cheese.

Makes an awesome crusty topping.

Can also use ready salted crisps, but Walkers C&O are the best 😀
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List