Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Jan 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I like it as long as you do one car one hotel and one flight it kicks you into the BA holidays database so has access to a different range of fare buckets. Picks up BA, AA, Aer Lingus etc. I also check delta first as I like them best! Car and flight tend to have to be linked to the same duration in my experience (so car at some point between flights, but hotel doesn't have to be. Regular ones for us are hotels at the stopover point, or one night RPR or Clearwater mid trip, or Heathrow before we fly or an other date time location entirely. Furthest I have ever pushed it is two months later but may be able to push envelope more. Can do open jaw easily and book in-country flights if you wish as part of it, or often just book separately later using JetBlue or southwestern. For NYC and big cities the flight/hotel combo can be cheaper than the flight only. Sorry for ramble. Also package protection and luggage.
Really good help there - not rambling at all 😀

Although I have heard of the phrase open-jaw I have never really known what it means
Is there any special ‘ open-jaw’ discount ? Or do you just put the flight dates / destinations into the likes of BA / kayak / skyscanner and they work out the best combos ?
( I have historically thought that doing a return flight is cheaper than two singles - is that still the case ? And does that apply by doing these so called open jaw flights ? )
Is there any benefit to booking all 3 flights say in one transaction/booking rather than say booking one when you see a good price , booking the second when you see a good price for that and the third when you see s good price for that ?
Sorry I’m such a novice 😂😂

Ps really interesting that adding a hotel and car can make it cheaper - would never have thought of doing them together
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 09:03 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Open jaw to me is one transatlantic from point a to b. Return c to a.

I get this as part of the package. Because c-a is usually indirect essentially it means that you can use the off peak business routes across the Atlantic rather than the so called bucket and spade routes which are much more school holiday price dependant. The others don't change so much during the year.

If internal flight is essentially an indirect flight ie fly transit fly all on the same day then I would always book a through ticket.

If the stopover comes into play not so much need for a through ticket or for the domestic leg outbound to be booked at same time but can do.

I tend not to as I find the internal legs often cheaper with JetBlue, southwestern or any of the internal us carriers. Most of which (other than AA) are not accessible for BA to package up. I don't think I have paid more than £100 for any internal flight, most are around £70 or so if book on release (bit like easyJet/Ryan air market). Check luggage allowances though if taking hold luggage. Some you will need to make sure you get a hold luggage ticket eg JetBlue plus for the internal domestic leg if buying separately. Others use trains. I haven't got that advanced yet !

Return ticket indirect is always a through ticket for me as part of the package.

Have a play with customise your trip.

Edited at 09:41 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I would be tempted to go to possibly go a slightly different route. Best to plan it out for yourselves and see.what you think is achievable. I would do a mix of subway and walking.

So for me if one day. Air train to somewhere like Howard Beach
Change to the A train down to Brooklyn bridge. Slightly longer than getting you to grand Central but you end up in a better locale. (As in starting point - so you only do the island in one direction to minimise travelling overall).

Look at Brooklyn bridge and skyline view of Manhatten form the park. Over the bridge (walk) or water taxi, to Manhattan. Walk through wall Street to the charging bull. Down to battery park and look at SOL from a distance, walk back up via world trade centre to see the memorial ponds etc. Then go into the Westfield mall at wtc to stare at the scenery. (Amazing architecture). No shopping (v expensive).

Then get subway up to times Square area from the attached subway stations.

Have a look and run away again. Head to the Rockefeller centre and go up TOTR. (Poss pre-book) try not to be there at sunset - madness ! Then you may need to head back to JFK or infill. Not central park in the dark though.

If got more time I would ditch totr and go to empire state instead. I much prefer it, and it is iconic. Still have to queue unless you pre-book. I would do it before times Square if you want to go there and then head straight from times square to central station and back to JFK. That's what I would do, but lots will have other views. The general.trip planning forum may be able to help.
Wow, thank you so much for taking so long to put that together - it is so helpful. 2 years ago we done a cruise and stopped at Rome, I put together a Google Map that was 18km long and we walked it! (my wife hated me for it afterwards!) so using the subway a bit definitely makes sense.
Thank you!
b00110908 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List