Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 13 Apr 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I think you mean OpenReach ... not BT.

I disagree the first step is to throw money at the issue ... it’s the last resort not the first.
Openreach, BT now that’s pedantic!

I am not suggesting throwing money at issues, what I’m saying is no hubs have brilliant WiFi - even the BT one which isn’t a bad one.

If you want to drastically improve WiFi over your whole property and increase throughout and connection stability (unless your property is small), a good mesh (although the Orbi isn’t technically a mesh) is an excellent way to go. I have 30 devices connected to mine and it’s rock solid giving at least 250 across the whole house and back garden. I’d never achieve anything like this with a single ISP supplied router from any provider.
Even a cheap Mesh like the Nova or a Google Mesh should see significant upgrade.
However if you are in a very small property, not worth it unless you have a mass of devices.
Your advice to change the channel and see if there is improvement due to congestion is good.

Edited at 12:25 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

And what I am suggesting is trying the simple tried and tested solutions before throwing money away (based on troubleshooting thousands of WiFi issues over the years) and needing to either go out to buy equipment or have it delivered . Just common sense in these times.

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Openreach, BT now that’s pedantic!

I am not suggesting throwing money at issues, what I’m saying is no hubs have brilliant WiFi - even the BT one which isn’t a bad one.

If you want to drastically improve WiFi over your whole property and increase throughout and connection stability (unless your property is small), a good mesh (although the Orbi isn’t technically a mesh) is an excellent way to go. I have 30 devices connected to mine and it’s rock solid giving at least 250 across the whole house and back garden. I’d never achieve anything like this with a single ISP supplied router from any provider.
Even a cheap Mesh like the Nova or a Google Mesh should see significant upgrade.
However if you are in a very small property, not worth it unless you have a mass of devices.
Your advice to change the channel and see if there is improvement due to congestion is good.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Doesn’t sound a WiFi issue if light is going orange. Problem at BTs end.

For WiFi issues, best thing you can do is buy a Mesh network, preferably if you can spend that much money the top of the line Netgear Orbi (I used to have a cheaper Tenda Nova MW6 which was decent but the Orbi is much better). I’ve got 4 running in the house, so it was a big investment but I’ve gone from struggling to get a signal on the decking at the back of my garden to getting 400 meg at the back of the garden (we have 500 internet).
With the new BT products you can get the wifi discs which improve your wifi reception around your house for free.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
With the new BT products you can get the wifi discs which improve your wifi reception around your house for free.
They didn’t work for us. The TVs wouldn’t connect to the internet when we had the disks on. We had three different engineers out from BT to try and sort it plus numerous new discs as they thought they may be faulty. Eventually BT admitted that they hadn’t a clue what the problem was. Went back to not using the discs and TVs connected fine.😂
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 20, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It drives me insane when the first resort is getting a booster rather than the last. It’s often things that are easily sorted by changing the hub settings or moving the hub always from something weakening the WiFi (other electronics, meters , metal and my favourite , aquariums).
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I contacted BT who said they would fix it. Never had any response from them to say they had done anything but it hasn’t dropped out for over a week so I think they must have done something externally.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ontwofronts
Excited about Disney

BT Smart Hubs are very good until they get overloaded with connections. If you’ve a modern connected home with the likes of Sonos, Hue Bulbs and fire sticks in each room you can easily overburden the capacity of your Smart Hub.

When this happens you can get false diagnostics like the orange light in the smart hub even though the connection is fine, it’s the router falling over.

The modern home can easily get to 40 or more connected devices with phones, iPads, laptops, smart TVs, bulbs, consoles, Soundsystems and so on.

BT are really poor are supporting in this instance, they’ll hide behind line checks and not acknowledge the short coming in the Smart Hub. I believe the smart Hub 2 with the whole home WiFi discs handles connections much better but I’ve not tested it myself.
ontwofronts is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I contacted BT who said they would fix it. Never had any response from them to say they had done anything but it hasn’t dropped out for over a week so I think they must have done something externally.
Yes if the orange light was coming on it was an external fault so fixed by OR engineers (likely at the green cabinet in the street )
Old 5 May 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Homehub has some bugs in it which can give the effects described, especially if Apple devices are on the WiFi. I had this on both the BT and Plusnet Homehubs and they couldn't solve it from happening. Luckily I have all the devices behind a secure router behind the homehub so have worked around it. Will have a look later for the error messages you see in the router log.

It is worth logging onto your router, going into the advanced settings and view the log after you next have to reboot. Look back and see what the last messages were before you rebooted it.

Changing the WiFi channel as described is like poking around in the dark. Firstly that is only the 2ghz range channel and most devices connect to the 5ghz as the default these days. Secondly unless you have looked at what channels your neighbours are using you could just be making it worse.

You need to use an app like WiFi Analyzer if you have an Android phone. From that you can look at both the 5ghz and 2ghz spectrums to see if you have clashes. From there you can decide if locking to a specific channel is worthwhile.

Another option is to give the 5ghz and 2ghz wireless networks different names and the put devices further away from the router on the 2ghz and closer ones on the 5ghz network.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List