Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 19 May 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile Please recommend a laptop

I’m working from home and my laptop is making things so much more difficult than it needs to be, so I’m finally admitting defeat and looking for a new one.

I’m a teacher so use word, PowerPoint etc and have been doing teams meetings/lessons. The girls also like to use it for minecraft, they got chromebooks earlier in the year and it turned out they can’t use those for minecraft so they’ve been using mine.

I’m clueless what to get and don’t want to spend loads if something cheaper will do the trick, as I only use it for work I begrudge paying a lot for it but it would make planning at home easier when we do return to school.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Following this because dd needs one, we saw one in curry’s £399 but it’s sold out now.
Old 19 May 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I'm following too. DS will need a new one for university.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Check out the ACER site they have some great deals on at present. I bought an Acer Aspire as a Christmas pressie to myself - all singing and dancing & I cant believe how fast it is and fabulous to type on. WIN 10 i7
Old 19 May 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

If you use lots of programmes at the same time then definitely look for an I5 or I7 processor, 256g hard drive minimum and I’d go for an ssd rather than a hdd. This was the best thing I did when I got a new laptop last year.
It’s so quick to turn on and use.

If you have a Costco card they give a 2 year help desk service who I’ve phoned and they were very helpful.

costco/Computers/L...K024T/p/330819

Edited at 05:28 PM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

If you are getting a Windows laptop - get at least 8GB of RAM - that makes much more difference than the processor(which is mostly idle while it waits for the slow disk to load to the quicker memory).
2point is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
If you are getting a Windows laptop - get at least 8GB of RAM - that makes much more difference than the processor(which is mostly idle while it waits for the slow disk to load to the quicker memory).
Absolutely 8 or even 16 GB RAM will make more difference than a better processor for most users (and memory is much cheaper than processor power)

Also an SSD (instead of a HDD) will drastically improve your perception of performance as well
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List