Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 6 Oct 10, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
paxmat
Trainee Dibber

Just diagnosed with Autism

My 8 year old grandson has just been diagnosed today with Autism. We fly to Orlando on Monday and are feeling very much in the dark about it all! Does anyone know if the airline (Virgin) or parks offer any assistance?
Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
paxmat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 10, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
jbrockwell5081
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 24
If you have a doctors letter or similar, I believe you can get a wrist band of some sort. With this you can normally skip some of the queues which can help little ones with Autism as I believe some of them really can't tolerate queues very well.

Sorry if I'm not 100% on the detail; I'm sure someone who is will be along soon.
jbrockwell5081 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 10, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
emmsy
Imagineer

Hi - We also have recently found out that our DS has ADHD and is on the Autism spectrum so this is something I have been looking into also. I beleive that if you take your grandson to guest relations with you and explain his diagnosis then you will be issued with a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) which means you don't need to wait in line for as long as I know that a lot of Autistic children find waiting in line very upsetting and stressful. You can also use the card to get access to special seating area for shows/parades etc. I have never used one yet so Im sure someone who has will give you more info. Florida Law states that it is against the law to question someones disability therefore you do not need to bring doctors letters etc with you just as long as your grandson is with you when asking for the GAC.
Old 7 Oct 10, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

the GAC are very easy to use you just show the cast member when you are at the ride you want and they will point you in the right direction, we only used it if the lines were extra long, depends on how long your gs can wait. Hope this helps and you donot need a doctors note to get a GAC
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 10, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post

check out the sticky thread at the top of the special needs forum for info on airline assistance and the guest assistance schemes at the parks which will help you

have a fantastic time and remember he is still the same little boy he was before the diagnosis
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 10, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
paxmat
Trainee Dibber

Thank you all, this has helped enormously! The Dibb is THE best site online, you are all amazing!
It has all come as a bit of a shock as he was actually being tested for ADHD, but we are slowly getting our heads round it. I think it's fantastic that the parks help out, especially for us as GS cannot queue, bless him, he cant even wait his turn in a game
Thanks again xx
Sammie
paxmat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 10, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
emmsy
Imagineer

Forgot to add in my last post that if you speak to Virgin customer services and explain your Grandson's diagnosis then they should offer you a bulkhead seat which means you will have more seating room thus avoiding kicking the persons chair infront of you etc. X
Old 8 Oct 10, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

I work with special needs children, many of whom have both, one or additional other'conditions'.
A couple of things i noticed that helps hugely:

1. Pictures and discussion of where you are going. Keep it simple, NOT TOO MANY as too much information can 'overload' them.

2.Pictures of HOW you are getting there, pictures of the airport, buses, hotel etc

3.Keep smaller version of pics in 1,2 laminated on a key ring to take with you.

4.When you get there, explaining whats going to happen in advance & show map etc.

5.Give him/her a disposable camera to take own pics.

Above all, relax as children sense when you are tense. Take your time and if he/she has a flaky in the middle of the airport -so what. Soothe them ,have patience and remember they are out of their comfort zone and need security so let it pass!

lam

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 10, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
paxmat
Trainee Dibber

Thanks Iam, that's really good advice and I shall use every word of it! xx
Old 9 Oct 10, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
hunnybun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lam View Post
I work with special needs children, many of whom have both, one or additional other'conditions'.
A couple of things i noticed that helps hugely:

1. Pictures and discussion of where you are going. Keep it simple, NOT TOO MANY as too much information can 'overload' them.

2.Pictures of HOW you are getting there, pictures of the airport, buses, hotel etc

3.Keep smaller version of pics in 1,2 laminated on a key ring to take with you.

4.When you get there, explaining whats going to happen in advance & show map etc.

5.Give him/her a disposable camera to take own pics.

Above all, relax as children sense when you are tense. Take your time and if he/she has a flaky in the middle of the airport -so what. Soothe them ,have patience and remember they are out of their comfort zone and need security so let it pass!

lam
What fantastic advice...and as a parent of 2 boys with such difficulties, I can testify that this kind of prep really pays off!

And I love the comment about the 'flaky' LOL, sooo true.

Have a wonderful trip, go at his pace, and watch the magic work...you'll see when you get there!

"I've learned that people forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"
hunnybun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread