Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 18 Mar 11, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Anyone else worried about the future of DLA?

As a lifetime claiment of DLA, I've been having panic attacks and nightmares associated with the proposed changes. The ConDems seem to want to replace DLA with something called PIP (personal independence payment)

I've seen stories of folks with severe disabilities getting their money taken off them completely! Is anyone else as worried as I am? We could not cope without DLA, it pays the bulk of our bills.

I'm worried sick but can find hardly any info online. What info there is, seems utterly terrifying. Does anyone know anything sane? What are your experiences? Does anyone know how a PIP is worked out and how much it is likely to be?

Thanks in advance.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 11, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Don't know anything about it to be honest, but I have found this link on the net:
disabilitynow.uk/livi...ip-replacement
Old 18 Mar 11, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lausan
VIP Dibber

lausan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 47
we had a form in from our Local council saying they need to reasses my nieces needs due to the up and coming changes in DLA which they say will benefit her in the long run as they know her condition wont get better but her needs may change ... i have not read up on it yet but now you have given me a reminder i will do
Old 18 Mar 11, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for the link there. From what I read, it seems that we will have to go and talk to someone about how our disability affects us and from that, a decision about PIP will be reached? Talk about pressure. I so wish I had voted labour now, this is so scary! We need a Dibb support group! Failing that, join this Facebook cause:

causes/causes/567050-...nce?m=59353672
Old 18 Mar 11, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Kim
Imagineer

It's far from perfect as it stands now.

The right people are not getting it and it has been this way for years.

Yet there are people getting it that shouldn't.

All this due to self assesment and those who decide having no medical training.

This is a post I put on here a couple of weeks ago.

This is our son Adam

He was born with a large hole at the top of his head and 7 tumours hanging out. They operated on him at Birmingham’s Children’s Hospital when he was 2 days old, to remove the tumours and sew the hole up. From the start we knew he would severely brain damaged.
It also came to light pretty soon after... that he had other disabilities.

These are

Spina Bifida
Hydrocephalus
Scoliosis
Epilepsy

He is now 26 and has the mental age of a toddler.

It took us till the age of 11 to get any form of DLA for him as they said his condition was only temporary.

It was only 18 months ago that he was awarded it for life. This was after they had written to our GP for the first time to ask anything and he got the award in a week.
The whole system need looking into and overhauling.

Kim
Kim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 11, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree kim - lovely pic of Adam by the way. I just hope that the right people DO get the money they need. In my case I have Cerebral Palsy and need a hip replacement. I'm reliant on my carers as I cannot weightbare and require hoisting to the loo & bed. I've been told it will likely be years before I get my hip replacement done, Probably due to having CP.

I just worry that we will get less money. My partner is my fulltime carer and delivers my nighttime care, he's scared to look for work because of all these changes. So right now, we are sitting things out.
Old 18 Mar 11, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post

I know many disabled people are worried but I hope that those claiming fraudulently are too. Having already fallen foul of the ILF fiasco I do fear for the future of our DS's care and support especially when we are no longer around to fight for him. I'd love to see a better deal for those like your partner who give up careers to care but realisitically I think carers and disabled people are too easy a target for the cutbacks as most are just grateful for the little help they get and don't have the energy to fight for more. All we can do is wait and see how the proposed changes develop.
Old 18 Mar 11, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Can only hope that these reforms ensure that those who are entitled get what they deserve. It does say in the article that it's not coming in until 2013/2014 so hopefully anyone claiming who shouldn't be may have time to "come clean" to the benefit of those who really need this money. I think the main problem is that the people who deserve it are more often than not too honest, that's my own personal opinion though.
Old 18 Mar 11, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post

I didn't see that date! Well at least I can sleep a little better for now.. phew. It would be awesome to have a Dibb meet for disabled members and their families. I don't usually advocate 'disabled only' groups but in the case of us dibbers, I think it would be awesome!
Old 18 Mar 11, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post

I suffer with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and whilst I appreciate my disability is not comparable to people with conditions such as CP, MS etc to name a few, I do rely on the very little money I get, which I had to really put up a fight and attend appeals for and am due to go through again soon.

I know that CFS is not seen by the DWP as a disabling condition and it never really has due to the stigma that is and has been long attached to the condition, but living with it as I have tried to do since I got my first symptoms in 2007, it totally is. Through trying to fight my way through it and work even part time hours though I am now totally unable to work. If I lose my benefit, even though it's only a small amount, it's going to be devastating for us because it means doors to other entitlements will also be closed. So, yes, I am extremely worried about the new system and how it is all going to work out, especially for people with conditions that aren't as recognised as some.

Sorry, I've finished my mini rant
Closed Thread