TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'm going to move this over to the special needs forum as someone on there might have more knowledge

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 11, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post

A friend of mine's daughter spent a lot of her early years in and out of casts for a hip deformity at birth. It wasn't like you'd imagine a cast to be - it kept her knees flat to the floor with her legs bent and cam up to her chest, hard to describe really. but there was no way she could have fit in an aircraft seat or have been carried on someone's lap. Hope your daughter's isn't the same but I think you really do have to reconsider.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 11, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I would double check with your insurance as well

but personally I wouldnt take my boys in a cast, the weathers too warm in may, and bless her the cast will make her uncomfy, plus she most likely wouldnt be able to do anything while there

Id postpone till the cast was off
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 11, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post

what an awful situation could you move the holiday to later in the year without losing money?

hope your little girls op goes well xxx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 11, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
I would be very surprised if your travel insurance would cover her to travel even if the dr says she can fly. You may need to check with the airline is she wont be able to fit in a standard seat if she has the rodcast that my friends daughter had.

I would have thought it is best to postpone if you can as I am sure she wont have son much fun and it will be hard for you as well, worrying about her discomfort in the heat.

However i do hope her op goes well, sending hugs((())))
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 11, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I would postpone as it would be hot & uncomfortable. Hope your dd is ok soon.
Orlando 2004 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 11, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
GYPSIES
Imagineer

Personally I would postpone too and the 1st thing that popped into my head was would the cast or leg expand during the flight or in the heat though I have no medical knowledge though and have never experienced a cast either so may be barking up the wrong tree.
Apr/May 05 - Villa Weston Hills, Apr/May 06 - Villa Weston Hills, Apr/May 08 - Villa Weston Hills, Sept/Oct 09 - Villa Sunrise Lakes, May 11 - Villa Southern Dunes, Sept 13 - Villa Sandy Ridge May 15 - Villa Glenbook

GYPSIES is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 11, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would ask the Doctor to say that she is not fit to travel and postpone it for another time.
It would be hard for everyone involved to have a good holiday with that to deal with.

I hope everything goes ok for her.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 11, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
neil192
Earning More Ears

Thanks everyone for you comments, i am going to discuss this again with the consultant, i checked with virgin and AXA and they both said it is fine and she is covered, so my main concern is the heat.

I will let you know in a week what the consultant says,

Thanks again

neil
neil192 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 11, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sonic_heroes
Apprentice Imagineer

sonic_heroes's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
my niece was in a cast for a few months cause of her hips and as others have said it also covered both legs with a rod between.

If this is the same kind she won't fit in a plane seat.

My sister-in-law had to get a special pram from the hospital aswell, so that she could fit in one - you may have the same problems and they may not let you take it abroad. Have you also thought about her sleeping, she may have to have some supports that you won't be able to take with you.

You will have a lot of questions to ask and things to consider - I don't envy you.

Hope everything goes well for her with the operation and she makes a full recovery. It'll be worth it when she is walking!
take care
x

(sonic's wife - I really should get my own id!)
DLP Oct 2007. Marriott World Centre Drive/PO Riverside Oct 2009. POR Oct 2011. SSR/Sheraton Vistana/ASS July 2013. Pop Cent Oct 2014. ASM May 2015. Davenport Villas July 2015. ASS, Liki Tiki Village, T Ridge July 2016. Marriott SeaWorld, OKW, Hampton lakes Villa, June 2019.All star Music Dec 2019
sonic_heroes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread