Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 1 Apr 11, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Not sure about what the OT said

DS has finished doing the listening ear programme and we haven't seen any change, he still is as sensitive to sound as he was before and still has the other sensory issues. After chatting with the OT we discussed the findings of the recent assessment done at school by the physical disabilities team regarding DS co-ordination. I was surprised by the OT's response because she said that now DS is 11 he has to make the choice on whether he wants to continue with therapy?

I asked about whether she feels DS's co-ordination skills will improve with more OT input and she said they definitely could if DS is prepared to do all the exercises, but it is now DS's choice not mine and we need to sit down and talk together first., but she also said that it might be that we have to start accepting what DS can and can't do and leave it at that.

I just want whats best but I am surprised by the OT's response. I haven't had chance to discuss it with Thomas yet and I can understand what she is saying but I am worried that Thomas will want to stop the therapy.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 11, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post

That's a difficult one and to be honest I feel he is still to young to make such a decision and it should still be down to you his parents. Surly if he will gain from it then the OT should be suggesting he continues with it. I think you need to ask yourself if he understands the consequences to what he is being asked. We get this all the time now with Beth who is now 19. She was in hospital for tests and had to have anesetic, the nurse asked her if it was ok to take her blood pressure and temp, she said no so they nurse said ok and walked off. I called her back and she said it's now Beth's choice, but I explained she did not understand the circumstances but she would not do them . We then had the same problem with obs after she got back from the anesetic. You would think sense would prevail.
Old 1 Apr 11, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post

In order for your child to consent to therapy or treatment of any kind they have to have the mental capacity to understand the decision they are making and this should be assessed first. A lot also depends on how the question is presented and this is where you and the therapist can probably have some influence. For example if someone was to ask my DS 'do you want to carry on with all those difficult exercises?' he'd more than likely answer 'no' but if the question was 'you want to keep doing the exercises that help you to be better at playing football, don't you' then he'd be more inclined to answer 'yes'. I'm not sure of the level of understanding your son has but maybe you need to prepare him by having some discussions about the fact that he could be asked to make that choice and why it is important that he carries on with his therapy if you feel he should.
Old 2 Apr 11, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Well we've received an appointment for Thomas to see the orthopaedic surgeon about surgery to stretch his tendons, and having spoken with Thomas about continueing with OT he said that he wants to, so I will have to contact the OT dept, I'm wondering if she said this to me because they are trying to find ways of making cutbacks?
We have always had an informal diagnosis of dyspraxia and when I asked about formal diagnosis she said that he wouldn't get a formal diagnosis because the trust have refused to diagnose the condition? Why? because then they WILL have a duty of care to treat DS. The OT said we know he has dispraxia but aren't allowed to diagnose officially anymore.
It's probably all about money.
Old 2 Apr 11, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post

You could be right about the money saving aspect. I had much the same conversation years ago when it was suggested our DS should have an ASD assessment. With hindsight we should maybe have pressed ahead for a formal diagnosis, there is no doubt he is on the spectrum but he has so many other problems that we didn't need another 'label' as long as his needs were being met. Now as an adult that 'label' might be more useful so if you feel a formal diagnosis is needed or could be helpful then press for it and ask for another opinion if you have to.
Old 2 Apr 11, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread