Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 2 Apr 11, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess<3
Proud to wear my Ears

Type 1 Diabetes HELP!

Heyy
I have been diabetic now for 11 years and to take my insulin correctly i have to work out how many carbohydrates i am eating which can be very difficult at all-you-can-eat restaurants! Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me estimate my carbohydrate portions?
Thankyou
Jessica
Princess<3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 11, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dave and lesley
Imagineer

dave and lesley's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
welcome dd2 carb counts and has a pump. she has portion size app on her i phone called carbs and cals( on i phone) she tends to go high in the heat ( quite unusual people usual low in heat! ). loads of test for the first few days till you find out how it effect you.

protions are bigger, there is healthy options and low sugar foods at all resturants and counterservices... low sugar browines for eg. in disney resutrants you can speak to the chief.

we got hold of the special dietary info will look for the information they sent us. there are a few carb counters on her so thye may help 2
2010 SSR HRH, 11 SSR Cocoa beach, 12 SSR HRH,
2014 SSR GFV Wedding, 15 LBV, 17 Miami Beach
dave and lesley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 11, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess<3
Proud to wear my Ears

Im not on a pump as yet but i was thinking about it
I have 2 apps on my iPod a D.A.F.N.E one and the carbs and cals one and i also have the book too. I think its just that there is alot of food that i dont usually eat out there and i wondered how i would find that out.
Any information you could give me would be amazing.
Thankyou very much.

How long has your DD2 had diabetes for now? and how old? I'd love to know how she's getting on with her pump as i've had alot of mixed views

Jessica
Old 3 Apr 11, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
dave and lesley
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
dd1 has been type 1 for 20+ years aged 3 now 24 dd2 was 16 now 22 im type2 on insulin, my dad same also! last year we all went to florida together...

dd1 and 1 are four times a day injectors dd2 has had her pump for just under 12 months and wouldnt give it back. loves the freedom it gives her has adjusted really well even got lower HBa1c as well.

have you been to flordia before? food can be the same as home, its just qanilites and the heat and time that make you think...we all have different reactions to the heat... dd1 goes low dd2 goes higher im ok and dad goes low! its just adjustingh you insulin to depend on how you react. qauanity size i'll get vicky to past to you later ( at work now) to explaine how she works things out...lots of guesstments i think!

talk to your dsn about time changes on four times a day its easy you just have an extra short acting when you eat when you arrive, as 5 hours behind times

there is a social gruop for proplr with diabetes go to the left hand side of the site and click view all groups there is a diabetes group there ( not sure as you are new you will be able to acess it as of yet...just keep posting and you will.

lesley
dave and lesley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 11, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess<3
Proud to wear my Ears

I think it's nice how they have each other to help them whereas I'm the only one :p
I've been to Disney five times but I was very poorly controlled on previous visits. I eat different things out there than I would normally at home such as pancakes. It's just getting used to it I think but any help would be nice, thank you.
Jessica
Old 4 Apr 11, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
dave and lesley
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
just found this on a cut and paste doument that we made up last year...
in wdw
It is the same Mac& Cheese everywhere, 40 carbs a cup.

Pizza planet Pizza 56 carbs / serving two servings per pie. They say they have 30 or 40 different pizza crusts, this was the one they could give me but it was the one I wanted too.

Same fries almost all places, 3oz = 20 carbs

Chicken tender = 11 per tender.

Choc Milk 26 carbs for 8 oz

Pretzel bread stick in Canada 17 per stick. (boy are they good)
Chicken Nuggets = 10 carbs 4 nuggets.

Mickey Bar = 31
Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich = 36
We show nine Coca-Cola products available at Epcot. Below are the carbohydrate information:

Product / Carb amount (per 100ml 3.4 oz)
Beverly / 15g
Kinley Lemon / 13g
Krest Ginger Ale / 9g
Fanta Kolita / 14g
Lychee Mello / 15g
Lift Apple / 11g
Mezzo Mix / 11g
Smart Watermelon / 13g
Vegitabeta / 10g

lesley
Old 4 Apr 11, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JEMS
VIP Dibber

Sorry to jump on this thread but I've just got my DD12 home from the hospital today after being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes last Wednesday.

Really interested in any info going about eating in Florida but it's a few months til we go. At the moment just trying to get our heads around carb counting at home

She is on twice daily insulin at the moment but think we'll need to change to 4x when we go to make life a little more flexible.

Sharon

Econolodge 1994, DLP Santa Fe 1998, DLP Day Trip 2001, DLP Offsite 2004, Glenbrook 2008, DLP Davy Crockett 2010, Sunridge Woods 2011, DLP Davy Crockett 2013, Esprit 2016
JEMS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 11, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess<3
Proud to wear my Ears

When i was first diagnosed i was on the twice daily aswel but i changes to multiple injects also to give me more freedom. It does get alot easier but i found it useful to buy the crab counting book whcih is pocket sized and it has most types of food in, i got mine from whsmith. The hardest thing at first i found was working out the ratios at particular eating times where sometimes you may need more insulin but i think it will be a while until that happens as he is newly diagnosed. But i promise it does get alot easier i hope some of this helps.
Jessica
Old 5 Apr 11, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post

I Dave and Lesley daughter that on the pump while at Disney at all -you -can - eat I just guessed around the card I would eat for example 15 Ish as my rations are 1:1 so that would be 150 cards ect if u are on insuin injections I would do if half way thought that meal or at the end when u know how much you are going to eat. A lot of the food was gusses work I used my average fast food amounts for couter service meals 6-10 depending on What I had. And low amounts for mash as it is smash not real mash and bit more for chip around 4 or 5 alot of the snake brought wrap iteams have the carb vauls on them it just a matter of lOoking most food brought at supermarket will have carbs the food labelling is said to be better that here and Easier to work as has portion sizes other guessing and going with what u thInk sorry for not having full sentces ect on my phone
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 11, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
dave and lesley
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
oh vicky...try snacks instead of snakes! more tasty!
Closed Thread