Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 19 Feb 14, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
alijolly
Imagineer

I hope it is OK to post here

I have been asked to help book a trip to Florida for a friend who has just been given a terminal diagnosis of lung cancer and her fifteen year old daughter. This is a return of a cancer and she has been given a 12 month prognosis, She may be in a wheelchair by the time they can go and obviously insurance etc is going to be an issue. I know this isn't strictly Special Needs but it is something I have, luckily never had to deal with and although I am happy to help with the usual planning I don't even know what I should be looking out for with regard to the extra support help they may need and I wondered if you would be able to help?
alijolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 14, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post

I am so sorry about your friend, of course it is special needs!

But will she really be well enough to travel with terminal lung cancer... would she be alone with her daughter? if he has been given 12 months to live, when is she thinking of travelling? Of course the 12 months is only a guess by the consultants, but I wonder if she would even get a certificate of being fit to fly unless she is quite well now and goes very soon...

I am nowhere near that sick, but my holiday booking to florida has had to take in consideration a huge amount of rest time... I do hope all goes well though and she is well enough to get this trip...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 14, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Hi, I can only guess i'm afraid based on extra planning we have had to do, but this is a very different situation to ours. I did read this yesterday but didn't post as I had hoped someone with more information would help, but as they haven't I thought I would tell you what I can.

Firstly, I would have thought they would have to make sure they are fit to fly, get letters from the hospital to support this.
I would suggest use of a wheelchair as even travel days can be very tiring, would have also thought it was best to have it just in case even if it she is not using at home at that point.
Obviously a good insurance policy that covers her medical needs, this may take a fair bit of time, contacting different companies to get the correct cover, Just Googled it and there seems to be quite a few that will provide insurance for terminally ill cancer sufferers.
Depending on where they are intending to stay, it would be worth booking a room/villa with wheelchair access in case this will be required.
I would also make sure that they know where the nearest doctors or hospital is located just in case she needed anything (e.g advice or medication) whilst there.
If they are going to the parks then a DAS card may also be a possibility for her if she finds it tiring, and plan plenty of rest days!
Hope this is of some help, I am mostly guessing but hopefully someone who has more experience with this kind of planning will be along to help you soon.
Old 21 Feb 14, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Sorry scared_mummy, you posted your comment as i was typing my essay!
Old 21 Feb 14, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
alijolly
Imagineer

Thank you very much. I have told her to find out about fit to fly certificates and insurance as she also has fairly serious underlying health issues as well as the cancer The friend who asked me to help is the best friend of this lady and I didn't realise she was already in a wheelchair when I first posted.

I have posted a link to her page, but please don't think I am asking anyone one for fundraising, simply because she explains her health issues.

youcaring/other/becca.../update/127170

My gut feeling was that should she be able to make the trip they would be better to be onsite, and if they could afford it that my recommendation would be one of the Epcot resorts as I think it will be easier to manage getting to and from the parks, but again not having done it myself I am unsure how practical that would be?

Edited at 04:13 PM.
alijolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 14, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post

I haven't stayed onsite myself so couldn't advise as to where would be best but I would have thought it would be better for them than staying offsite as they would have access to all of the disney transportation.
I hope they get to go, I'm sure they would have a wonderful time.
Would be an idea, once they have booked, to arrange airport assistance as well.
Old 21 Feb 14, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post

That's ok Veggie...

I got paranoid for a millisecond there!

x
Old 21 Feb 14, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post

For the best advice on whether she will be well enough to travel and also travel insurance advice she should speak to a Macmillan nurse or her cancer nurse . I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last year and my cancer nurse was fantastic and gave me lots of advice .
I have found Virgin the most helpful company to date for flights , my son has additional needs and they have been very accommodating .
I really hope she is able to make this trip .
Old 1 Mar 14, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post

From someone in a similar situation I would urge her not to get carried away without some solid research. Insurance is almost impossible with a terminal diagnosis. Is she having treatment that will need to be worked around? Does she have another adult going? If not how would her child cope if she was unwell, even practicalities like carrying bags, pushing a wheelchair? My advice would be not to plan too far ahead as she could deteriorate quite rapidly, her medical team will guide her.
Old 1 Mar 14, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
alijolly
Imagineer

Thank you. Her planning is very much in the early stages, hence me asking on here for help, she now has the list of insurers to try from Macmillan so is looking into this aspect, before thinking of anything more. Because of her other health issues her dd is used to dealing with the wheelchair and other day to day practicalities but I would imagine another adult would be needed in case of any difficulties.
Closed Thread