Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jul 21, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Also It is a US tourist Mecca and as such is either cheap and tacky
I was not a fan of the Waikiki area for this reason but that is not true of Maui/Kauai which are, of course, big tourist destinations but not at all tacky. Both have plenty of condos for rent for those who want to avoid the very high hotel prices. But I can see the appeal of Oahu. Lots of people really enjoy the likes of Las Vegas and other very touristy areas and will love Oahu. I didn't like it but sort of knew I wouldn't so we spent more time on the other islands. If someone is going all that distance I do recommend researching and deciding what you want because it would be a shame to go that far and pick the wrong island.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We were meant to be in Hawaii for DH's 70th last year, however a meal in a pub had to suffice, a bit bleak and nearly empty. This year for his 71st last week it was at least a nice hotel restaurant by a stream with DD and DSIL for company. Maybe Hawaii next year?
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi Kate

We went in 2017 and 2018.

Accommodation prices have got really silly after COVID. Renting a condo is a great idea both price and facilities wise on most of the islands.

Honolulu is the city where the airport is for the island of Oahu, and has some charming historical elements and great restaurants but it would be very very unusual to stay there as a tourist. Waikiki Beach is basically next to Honolulu and that’s where people stay generally when they mention staying in Honolulu.

Can I ask do you have 17 nights plus 5 for your relatives or is it 17 including the 5?

General consensus is that each island deserves a week, and to transfer between islands takes the best part of a day so you want to get the balance right of seeing as much as you can without spending too much time in airports

We’ve been to Oahu twice, Maui twice and Big Island once. We don’t have big accommodation budgets but stayed in some lovely places with a lot of research.

You don’t need a car in Oahu (if you’re happy to hang around Waikiki and take tours if you want to see stuff around the island). I would suggest strongly you need one in Maui, and very strongly for Big Island. Current car rental prices are outrageous due to the well documented problems due to the pandemic - hopefully that will have unwound by next May though!
We’ve got 17 nights altogether, so we need to take our time in Santa Monica out of that.

We’re planning to stop in LA on the way back. It’s one thing to do those long flights back to back on the way out, full of holiday excitement, but could not do it on the way back!

We’re also planning to book the LA and Hawaii flights separately. As long as we allow at least the minimum transfer times, insurance will cover any delays and flights to Hawaii are frequent enough that we could get the next one. Living offshore, switching between carriers (and even airports) is a fact of life when travelling, so doesn’t faze me.
Old 11 Jul 21, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
I was not a fan of the Waikiki area for this reason but that is not true of Maui/Kauai which are, of course, big tourist destinations but not at all tacky. Both have plenty of condos for rent for those who want to avoid the very high hotel prices. But I can see the appeal of Oahu. Lots of people really enjoy the likes of Las Vegas and other very touristy areas and will love Oahu. I didn't like it but sort of knew I wouldn't so we spent more time on the other islands. If someone is going all that distance I do recommend researching and deciding what you want because it would be a shame to go that far and pick the wrong island.
Maybe but I like the. history and especially military history so other islands dont appeal to me at all . I hated vegas (worst place on earth) but the history is real and raw around pearl Harbour - the relics are still there and with men to tell the stores. I could spend a week there and not be bored or stray into the tacky bits
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
We’ve got 17 nights altogether, so we need to take our time in Santa Monica out of that.

We’re planning to stop in LA on the way back. It’s one thing to do those long flights back to back on the way out, full of holiday excitement, but could not do it on the way back!

We’re also planning to book the LA and Hawaii flights separately. As long as we allow at least the minimum transfer times, insurance will cover any delays and flights to Hawaii are frequent enough that we could get the next one. Living offshore, switching between carriers (and even airports) is a fact of life when travelling, so doesn’t faze me.
In which case with only 12 nights I would do two islands only.

What are your interests? Hiking, fine dining, culture, shopping, history, other?

Agree on the o/b flight with excitement helping. We preferred it when we did the trip in one day … it was a killer with the jetlag and 11 hour time difference though, and basically a 24 hour travel day! But we woke up in Hawaii and that made it all worthwhile.

Edited at 10:19 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Maybe but I like the. history and especially military history so other islands dont appeal to me at all . I hated vegas (worst place on earth) but the history is real and raw around pearl Harbour - the relics are still there and with men to tell the stores. I could spend a week there and not be bored or stray into the tacky bits
The military history is very impactful. Did you make it to the Punchbowl? Pearl Harbour obviously was a must … but somehow Punchbowl got inside me more
Old 11 Jul 21, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
The military history is very impactful. Did you make it to the Punchbowl? Pearl Harbour obviously was a must … but somehow Punchbowl got inside me more
I was working at a location in Pearl harbour and saw so much more - its a HUGE area both land and sea. The tour of how the planes comes over and still visible signs of attack stay with me to this day . The cemetery needs to be seen by all - I know understand why the US launched the Nuclear bombs - its one of the most important and pivotal battle areas I have ever visited and for that alone I want to return
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Megaflyer is the National Cemetery not one of the most beautiful peaceful places you’ve ever been it has had a lasting impact on us and I’ve been in war / Jewish war graves cemeteries before with loads of varied emotions but never felt as much peace as
There
Oh and the choice of Pacific Rim food if you look for it is amazing
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I was working at a location in Pearl harbour and saw so much more - its a HUGE area both land and sea. The tour of how the planes comes over and still visible signs of attack stay with me to this day . The cemetery needs to be seen by all - I know understand why the US launched the Nuclear bombs - its one of the most important and pivotal battle areas I have ever visited and for that alone I want to return
I agree totally xx
Old 11 Jul 21, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Megaflyer is the National Cemetery not one of the most beautiful peaceful places you’ve ever been it has had a lasting impact on us and I’ve been in war / Jewish war graves cemeteries before with loads of varied emotions but never felt as much peace as
There
Oh and the choice of Pacific Rim food if you look for it is amazing
Gryff, us too … there was a military funeral taking place while we were there and it was honestly a pivotal moment for me xx