Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 7 Sep 21, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
guinness_79
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by parkgirl View Post
In the spirit that you posted - absolutely wish I was there….reality is different though!
Definitely the spirit it was posted! It’s been years and years since wait times were like this!
guinness_79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by guinness_79 View Post
Definitely the spirit it was posted! It’s been years and years since wait times were like this!
Well, as I pointed out earlier, back in 2019 rides like 7DMT, BTMR, Space Mountain, Soarin, Test Track, RnRC, TOT, Slinky Dog had similar or shorter wait times than currently. It's only FOP (and some of the other rides at AK) that seem to have had very short wait times last week.

Although I do notice that FOP was back up to 60+ minute waits yesterday and over the weekend.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 09:44 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Although I do notice that FOP was back up to 60+ minute waits yesterday and over the weekend.
That will be because its labour day weekend. I'm sure it will die down a bit again until the anniversary.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
That will be because its labour day weekend. I'm sure it will die down a bit again until the anniversary.
Yes, it's Labor Day weekend so busier.

This weekend seemed to have a much greater impact on FOP than anything else. FOP went from posted waits of 15mins on Thurs 2nd to 75mins on Sun 5th. Whereas 7DMT (for exampe) went from 40mins on Thurs to 65mins on Sun.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I feel like AK is just being ignored which is why FOP has been so low compared to other parks seeing usual slow season waits. With the price of day tickets plus the limitations on hopping, I imagine a lot of people aren't bothering with it since it has so few attractions generally, but particularly top tier. Assuming you're ride focused and had to choose a reservation at HS or AK, which one are you more likely to make at the moment? FOP is good, but it's old news compared to RotR.

They really need to get the rumoured Dinoland retheme started to get some AK hype back. It needs another E ticket and Dinosaur isn't cutting it any more in terms of demand. Permits filed recently is a good start but won't be surprised if it's just for taking down Whirl and leaving an empty space.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
They really need to get the rumoured Dinoland retheme started to get some AK hype back. It needs another E ticket and Dinosaur isn't cutting it any more in terms of demand. Permits filed recently is a good start but won't be surprised if it's just for taking down Whirl and leaving an empty space.
I suspect we won't hear anything about any new major work at AK until the D23 Expo next September.

I think right now Disney is focussing on the 50th Anniversary celebrations, new rides like Tron and GOTG, plus the continued work at Epcot. As well as dealing with COVID (and reopening more shows and restaurants) and getting everyone used to Genie+.

With regards to AK being ignored, I'm surprised it's not Epcot. There's less new stuff at Epcot. Mind you, I suppose the Food and Wine Festival is helping to attract folk who like paying for overpriced food there.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Roses
VIP Dibber

May be they are heading advice and staying close to home? While it would be fun to go and we are expecting it to be crowded next year at this time especially if the manage to stabilise Covid transmissions. People will return and expect they will be anticipating pent up demand too- they could well post their best year yet ? It’s a fascinating phenomena of crowd levels at min
Roses is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I suspect we won't hear anything about any new major work at AK until the D23 Expo next September.

I think right now Disney is focussing on the 50th Anniversary celebrations, new rides like Tron and GOTG, plus the continued work at Epcot. As well as dealing with COVID (and reopening more shows and restaurants) and getting everyone used to Genie+.

With regards to AK being ignored, I'm surprised it's not Epcot. There's less new stuff at Epcot. Mind you, I suppose the Food and Wine Festival is helping to attract folk who like paying for overpriced food there.

I agree, I'm not expecting anything on AK in the near future. Maybe not even by D23. I don't think they have a clue what to do thematically tbh, especially now Joe is gone. That will always be his park to me, same as original Disneyland is Walt's.

Epcot should be ignored. But for some reason, people seem to love paying ridiculous prices for small plates of food and eating it on trash cans. I haven't looked at its wait times recently, I suspect it's more popular as a hopper at the moment with the late opening though.

Edited at 03:29 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Well, as I pointed out earlier, back in 2019 rides like 7DMT, BTMR, Space Mountain, Soarin, Test Track, RnRC, TOT, Slinky Dog had similar or shorter wait times than currently. It's only FOP (and some of the other rides at AK) that seem to have had very short wait times last week.

The crowds were down around this time in 2019 because of the hurricane risk, I went to Universal Studios on the day it was due, and we had been on every ride by 2pm. We had some photos with Scooby Doo characters, and we were the only people in the whole area, it was so empty.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
The crowds were down around this time in 2019 because of the hurricane risk, I went to Universal Studios on the day it was due, and we had been on every ride by 2pm. We had some photos with Scooby Doo characters, and we were the only people in the whole area, it was so empty.
Yeah, I mentioned this in my other post.

Just like there is a Covid risk now, there was a hurricane risk back in 2019. I think WDW closed briefly (one day?) but then reopened. That would've put many people off visiting.

Last time I went around this time of year (late August) was in 2014 and the parks were fairly quiet back then as well, although perhaps not quite as quiet as they were last week.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~