Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 2 Oct 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Slow cookers. Do you leave them on and go out?

I'm trying to think of ways I can manage time better. I'm always on the go and it's getting me down. I had the (I thought, brilliant) idea of getting a slow cooker, setting it up in the morning and coming home from work with a hot meal ready for us. However, I've asked around at work and it seems a divided opinion on whether you should go out and leave one on. To be honest, if I can't leave it on while I'm at work, it's not worth doing as it defeats the object of giving me more time in the evenings. I'm out of the house for 11 hours a day (although OH and DDs come and go at different times). Are slow cookers safe to leave on all day?
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Mobile

We do! Can't remember what brand ours is (it's packed away at the minute) but we prepare the food in the evening, chuck it all into the slow cooker in the morning before work, put it on a low heat with plenty of liquid, and then when we get home it's usually perfectly cooked, if not we just turn the heat up for 20-30 mins after we get in!

Never had a problem with it at all! We are usually gone from 8am-6pm
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
LittleMissD
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I go out and leave mine on. I love my slow cooker, especially with a nice chilli cooking in it. It’s nice to come home to on a chilly day too.
LittleMissD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

I use mine with a timer switch if I'm to be away longer than the food needs to cook, but yes I leave mine on when I'm at work, that's why I bought one so the tea ready when you come in.
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
They are designed to be left on. I have a crockpot and have two settings which usually take either 4 or 6 hours. They run in very low voltage so are safe to leave
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes I go out and leave mine on.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Yes we leave ours on. 😀

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Midges17 View Post
I use mine with a timer switch if I'm to be away longer than the food needs to cook, but yes I leave mine on when I'm at work, that's why I bought one so the tea ready when you come in.
One with a timer would be useful.
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I leave mine on all day. I thought that was the whole point in having one. Love smelling tea as soon as I walk in. Why don’t you save a bit of time and batch cook some meals too. It will take all day but you could have a couple of weeks meals in the freezer.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Yup, one of the nice things about autumn/winter nights, coming home from work to the smell of dinner all ready for you - chillis, casseroles, whole roast chicken (albeit very pale).

We put ours on a trivet so that the doesn't travel through to the worktops thought, as it can get quite hot - or on top of the cooker will do the job too.

And if you have the room, buy as big as you can find afford. You can make stew for 8 with seconds in ours so I tend to freeze half for another day.

Edited at 07:58 PM.
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List