Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 15 Apr 18, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Packed Lunch/Quick Dinners

Hope everyone is having a relaxing Sunday

I am looking for pack lunch ideas for work and also as we get in late quick and easy dinner ideas. ( This is our first visit to America this year and I said at the start of planning it would be as cheap as possible... I've went a wee bit nuts so the cheapest food ideas would be fab

Thanks in advance
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Do you mean lunch/dinner ideas for home or whilst in Florida?
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KymmieAKiss View Post
Do you mean lunch/dinner ideas for home or whilst in Florida?
For at home. I've had a look on google but cant really see anything.
Old 18 Apr 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Could you make up a big batch of chilli or cottage pie, divide up into portions. You could then refrigerate or freeze some and take out whenever needed. Then just add veg or boil in the bag rice .
Have you also thought about a slow cooker? You could bung it all in before work and on your return it will be all ready for you
Old 18 Apr 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
Could you make up a big batch of chilli or cottage pie, divide up into portions. You could then refrigerate or freeze some and take out whenever needed. Then just add veg or boil in the bag rice .
Have you also thought about a slow cooker? You could bung it all in before work and on your return it will be all ready for you
I love the chilli and cottage pie ideas. I will do this. Do I just take them out the freezer and put in the oven till hot?

I have a slow cooker which I love but we leave at 9 and on busy days dont get in till 9. I was worried the food would be burnt.
Old 19 Apr 18, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
I love the chilli and cottage pie ideas. I will do this. Do I just take them out the freezer and put in the oven till hot?

I have a slow cooker which I love but we leave at 9 and on busy days dont get in till 9. I was worried the food would be burnt.
I leave my slow cooker on the low setting from 6.30 am to 5pm with curry in it. It’s always fine.
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Yeah its hard to find lunch ideas. I sometimes leave some of my dinner from the night before and take it for lunch the next day.
I would share my meal prep with you but it's vegan. Can share if you'd like?
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Based on a macaroni salad I had in WDW last year, I've started making this in huge batches - 2 handfuls of dry macaroni, cook until - well, cooked! Cool, stirring occasionally so it doesn't all stick together. Then mix up in a big bowl with chopped fresh tomatoes, a handful of frozen peas, and some finely sliced celery. Couple of large spoons of mayonnaise. Done!

Pop this in the fridge, it lasts for at least 5 days. I then take a sealed plastic bowl to work each day, and have this with a boiled egg or a bit of ham.

This week I added some tinned sweetcorn, but the veg can be changed out for whatever you like, as long as you don't use something too watery, like cucumber for example, which would water down the mayo. It could probably be made with low-fat mayo if you preferred that.

I might try adding some grated cheese next time! Anyway, the point is, you can make a large amount of this from just a small number of quite cheap ingredients, and as long as you don't get fed up with eating it day after day, it lasts for quite a while.

I started making this as I got so fed up with sandwiches, but then was just eating bags of crisps and other junk food for lunch instead, which is why I've put so much weight on in the last 12 months. Actually, I think I may buy some low-fat mayo next week ...
Old 19 Apr 18, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by florida_2012 View Post
I leave my slow cooker on the low setting from 6.30 am to 5pm with curry in it. It’s always fine.
Thanks. I will try mine and see if it turns out ok. We love stew/casserole in the slow cooker.
Old 19 Apr 18, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KymmieAKiss View Post
Yeah its hard to find lunch ideas. I sometimes leave some of my dinner from the night before and take it for lunch the next day.
I would share my meal prep with you but it's vegan. Can share if you'd like?
There used to be a good NHS food site but I cant find it anymore. I will keep looking and share if I find it. If you wouldnt mind sharing that would be great.
Thanks