Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Sep 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I have a Model S which is a big car. Love it. Costs nothing to run apart from insurance really and about £7 of electric per 200 miles. No tax, no real servicing fees, no congestion charges etc. If you live in some cities like Leeds you can now also park in bays for free. Even the brake pads last 100,000 + miles because you don’t really brake much. Performance is of course awesome although not as awesome now with my 75D as the P100D version I had which was mental with a 0-60 time of 2.5 seconds.
The 3 is not very big IMO, it’s quite a compact car.
I’d echo the sentiments of my fellow Tesla owners above. It’s the charging network that is in fact the most important element of a Tesla. You do not realise this until you get one.
Other chargers are often slow, broken etc. For example, the local authorities near me have partnered with a company to put 100 watt chargers in. The 2 closest to me have been broken for weeks. This is a common trait, it’s a gamble when you pull up to one of these often slow chargers as to whether it’s even working. Then you need a different account, app etc for each one, it’s rubbish to be frank.
Tesla is seamless. The software even routes you via a supercharger if you need one, tells you live how many are free, and even warms the battery as you approach for a faster charge. All you do is plug it in and it just works. It’s light years ahead at the moment. As a result I’ve done 600 mile round trips to the South Coast I’d never even attempt in a standard electric car.
My pal has an iPace which is lovely but nowhere near a Tesla in terms of charging network or tech (my Tesla updates with new features on average once every 22 days- his iPace had to be taken to the dealer for a software update, he’s had one in 18 months). My mate says he wants a Tesla for the charging network.
Do not under estimate how important the charging network is. If you don’t ever do longer trips though that’s not an issue.
I have enhanced autopilot on mine and it basically drives itself on the motorway no issue. I drive to London from Leeds a lot and I rarely have to intervene so it’s like sitting on a train really.

Edited at 08:08 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
MissB87
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
That’s really interesting and think A4 sized isn’t too bad x

Thankfully at the min we don’t need a towing car. DH drives a 20 year old corsa that he has the back seats dropped for saddles and the dogs, and we share a 2003 3.5 tonne wagon with my SIL. DH’s eventer is at least 17.3 so needs something sturdy.

When it goes (no time soon hopefully) I think we’ll go to a trailer. I think DH would prob get an old defender or the like as he only drives 10 miles a day. I’d like something fancy that tows but would defo be out of our price range

Can park itself? Like that idea 😂
We are thinking the same get something older for towing, DH can keep in check being a tech. The SQ5 is lovely and tows really well but sodding ££ and it doesn't do much but sit and look nice... I should have put my foot down about it really
MissB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

I have had a Tesla Model 3 Performance as a company car since April and done 13,500 miles so far. My primary motivation for getting it was to save all of the £800 a month benefit in kind tax I was paying on my Merc GLC. It’s as long as the Merc but doesn’t feel that big. There are three reversing cameras showing on the big screen, one showing directly behind and the others from the wing mirrors so visibility is great. It will only park itself if you have the Full Self Driving package costing £6,800 which to my mind is a waste of money as it’s a long way from being fully operational in the US and European regulations stop some of the existing features from working.

I absolutely love the car for the drive, comfort, the technology, the gimmicks (watching Netflix whilst Mrs C is in the shops) and Tesla’s own supercharging network which serves a lot of areas in the UK and is expanding at a rapid rate. In Warrington you have their chargers at Birchwood services and The Park Royal Hotel but a home charger is what you need so you can just plug in each night and it will add 30 miles each hour.

Go for it!
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Interested to hear from the company car drivers on here who have a Tesla...trying to gauge how much a month a lease is on one...either a 3 or S model...

Lease has to be 3 years and include servicing.

My BMW E330 hybrid is due to go back and I have to make a decision... and want a Tesla
Budget is around £500 a month so wondering if its doable?

Priced up an S model in 2018 when I got the BMW and it was £1150 a month

Any help / advice appreciated
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Interested to hear from the company car drivers on here who have a Tesla...trying to gauge how much a month a lease is on one...either a 3 or S model...

My BMW E330 hybrid is due to go back and I have to make a decision... and want a Tesla

My dh is due to start pricing one up for his company car imminently and think he had already had some numbers so when he is home later I’ll ask him but sure someone else will answer before then .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
My dh is due to start pricing one up for his company car imminently and think he had already had some numbers so when he is home later I’ll ask him but sure someone else will answer before then .
Great, ta very much... and could I also ask if it was direct with Tesla, or through a leasing company please?
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

A quick Google search brought up a load of leasing options but this one has it starting at £400 or so a month:

selectcarleasing/c...odel-3/saloon/
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
A quick Google search brought up a load of leasing options but this one has it starting at £400 or so a month:

selectcarleasing/c...odel-3/saloon/
Ta
Once you add on servicing, and want to do more than 5k miles per annum..!, the costs shoot up
Will keep looking, going to pop into my local Tesla "showroom" in Edinburgh and ask...
Old 17 Sep 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Ta
Once you add on servicing, and want to do more than 5k miles per annum..!, the costs shoot up
Will keep looking, going to pop into my local Tesla "showroom" in Edinburgh and ask...
Am based in Motherwell but in Edinburgh overnight for a staycation - if can be any help please ping me :-)
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You won’t get an S at that price but you will a 3. If you can go for the long range version over the standard, the standard being good enough but long range worth the extra if you can stretch.
There is no servicing so forget that. They say rotate the tyres and change the air con filter now and again. Nominal. Even that is not required to retain warranty.
You can lease a 3 with 10,000 miles with Drive Electric for 3k down and 500 a month 4 years or 550 3 years.

Edited at 05:10 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List