Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

This and next is the 24th. A week on Saturday is the 31st, and I am right as I always tell my husband
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

24th

a week on saturday is the 31st
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Excuse me all and please bear in mind I am in Wales and we have different rules here.

Not only don't I know what date it is next Saturday can somebody please tell me is it May or October at the moment.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
Is it bus c?
Not really a good comparison as they are using the English language differently in a subtle way. In the true sense it is bus A. But that doesn't work in the same way as a non object such as a day.

Good explanation is at englishlessonsbrighton...next-day-week/ and context as I put earlier should be sought depending on how the term was phrased.

From that link:

There is sometimes disagreement among English speakers when labelling days in a sequence with this and next, and you may hear people say either this or next to refer to the coming day. If you study sequences of time more carefully, it can help you to understand why this is, and how you can clarify what an English speaker means by, for example “This Friday” or “Next Friday.”

Next usually refers to the following object in a sequence, for instance “The next bus leaves in 10 minutes.” This usually refers to an object that is immediately occurring, or can be seen. So when the bus is in sight, we could say “This bus looks crowded. Let’s get the next bus.”

For days, this causes confusion because the day is not an object that we can see coming in the same way as a bus. So for many people next Friday would refer to the coming Friday. However, this is actually a less common use – and normally next Friday means the Friday in the following week. Consider these two sentences:

1. It is Sunday the 4th of March. Next Friday will be the 9th. (The coming Friday)

2. It is Sunday the 4th of March. Next Friday will be the 14th. (In the next week)

You may find English speakers using both these meanings, often depending on regional uses. So which is more correct, and how should you commonly understand these expressions? Actually the second sentence is more common, and for many English speakers more logical – because the coming Friday is usually referred to as this Friday.

To understand why, it is easiest to consider that this should be used when the sequence is already taking place. Consider how we refer to parts of a day – we say this morning, this afternoon and this evening when the day has begun, even if it is not yet morning, afternoon or evening.The next afternoon would come in the next day (i.e. tomorrow). Similarly, this Friday is part of this week (the week we are in). So when we say next Friday it does not refer to the coming Friday, but the Friday of next week.

Using this logic, for days, this should refer to the day coming in the next 6 days (this week), while next should refer to the day in the next 7-13 days (the next week). Note, this should not be used on the day before, or on the day itself, when we would use tomorrow or today (but continue to use next for the following Friday).

To go back to our example:

It is Sunday the 4th of March. This Friday is the 9th. Next Friday is the 16th.

Today is Sunday the 4th of March, next Sunday is the 11th.

This is a common, and logical, way to describe days in the coming weeks. Still, many English speakers do interpret next differently, and us it to simply mean the coming day. If you have any doubt about whether someone means the coming Friday, or the Friday of the following week, you can ask them to clarify:

Do you mean the coming Friday, or Friday next week?

As there is debate over how to use these expressions, such a question would not be considered strange or unwelcome. In fact, being aware of this point and recognising that the terms may be used differently (which is not always clear to English speakers themselves) may help you to understand English speakers better than they understand each other.

Edited at 04:03 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Not really a good comparison as they are using the English language differently in a subtle way. In the true sense it is bus A. Buth that doesn't work in the same way as a non object such as a day.

Good explanation is at englishlessonsbrighton...next-day-week/

From that link:

There is sometimes disagreement among English speakers when labelling days in a sequence with this and next, and you may hear people say either this or next to refer to the coming day. If you study sequences of time more carefully, it can help you to understand why this is, and how you can clarify what an English speaker means by, for example “This Friday” or “Next Friday.”

Next usually refers to the following object in a sequence, for instance “The next bus leaves in 10 minutes.” This usually refers to an object that is immediately occurring, or can be seen. So when the bus is in sight, we could say “This bus looks crowded. Let’s get the next bus.”

For days, this causes confusion because the day is not an object that we can see coming in the same way as a bus. So for many people next Friday would refer to the coming Friday. However, this is actually a less common use – and normally next Friday means the Friday in the following week. Consider these two sentences:

1. It is Sunday the 4th of March. Next Friday will be the 9th. (The coming Friday)

2. It is Sunday the 4th of March. Next Friday will be the 14th. (In the next week)

You may find English speakers using both these meanings, often depending on regional uses. So which is more correct, and how should you commonly understand these expressions? Actually the second sentence is more common, and for many English speakers more logical – because the coming Friday is usually referred to as this Friday.

To understand why, it is easiest to consider that this should be used when the sequence is already taking place. Consider how we refer to parts of a day – we say this morning, this afternoon and this evening when the day has begun, even if it is not yet morning, afternoon or evening.The next afternoon would come in the next day (i.e. tomorrow). Similarly, this Friday is part of this week (the week we are in). So when we say next Friday it does not refer to the coming Friday, but the Friday of next week.

Using this logic, for days, this should refer to the day coming in the next 6 days (this week), while next should refer to the day in the next 7-13 days (the next week). Note, this should not be used on the day before, or on the day itself, when we would use tomorrow or today (but continue to use next for the following Friday).

This is a common, and logical, way to describe days in the coming weeks. Still, many English speakers do interpret next differently, and us it to simply mean the coming day. If you have any doubt about whether someone means the coming Friday, or the Friday of the following week, you can ask them to clarify:

As there is debate over how to use these expressions, such a question would not be considered strange or unwelcome. In fact, being aware of this point and recognising that the terms may be used differently (which is not always clear to English speakers themselves) may help you to understand English speakers better than they understand each other.
I was contemplating a blood orange gin later... this post has confirmed the necessity...my brain now hurts... an entertaining thread nevertheless...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I was contemplating a blood orange gin later... this post has confirmed the necessity...my brain now hurts... an entertaining thread nevertheless...
Lets not try and solve it in French where we have to bring male and female tenses into the equation

Just glad I could find a link and not try to have to explain it myself.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Excuse me all and please bear in mind I am in Wales and we have different rules here.

Not only don't I know what date it is next Saturday can somebody please tell me is it May or October at the moment.
If the Pubs in Wales close from next Saturday, some will have 7 more drinking days !

And of course this is the whitsun holiday weekend Mr T

Disney332:
Old 19 Oct 20, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Not really a good comparison as they are using the English language differently in a subtle way. In the true sense it is bus A. But that doesn't work in the same way as a non object such as a day.

Good explanation is at englishlessonsbrighton...next-day-week/ and context as I put earlier should be sought depending on how the term was phrased.

From that link:

Is this the same author who wrote the covid rules

Good find nevertheless

Disney332
Old 19 Oct 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Next Saturday is the 31st
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
Next Saturday is the 31st
If next Saturday is 31st, was last Saturday 10th?

Disney332