Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 10 Aug 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
Hurrah for common sense. Now hopefully other big names will follow. If the last 18 months have taught us anything, nothing is more precious than family time
Which is why on Boxing Day I will be seeing my family at the ice hockey, with my ‘extended’ ice hockey family. It’s the one place we can guarantee we’ll all be together 😁
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 21, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Amazing-Grace
Imagineer

Amazing-Grace's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sainsburys definitely won’t be following suit.
I am an online shopper, and we heard earlier in the year for the first time ever Sainsburys will be delivering online shopping on Boxing Day!
I don’t work Sundays so it won’t affect me, but I’m hearing that anyone who has since tried to book that day off is being refused.
Surely anybody getting Christmas food shopping in is going to have Christmas Day and Boxing Day covered food-wise?
And there are no free holidays for us either, we have to use annual leave to cover Christmas Day Boxing Day etc…
Old 10 Aug 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
As much as I applaud Morrisons and any other store that remains closed on Boxing Day, this year it falls on a Sunday( reduced Opening hours anyway) so for the Boxing Day Holiday on the 27th they will be open along with everyone else seeking to get everyone shopping as they have dared close for 48 hours

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 21, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’m old enough to remember=
If Christmas Eve was Friday it was Wednesday before the shops opened back up then again here in Scotland repeat at New Year ( just watch on you tube The Steamiee an iconic what needed to be done be fore the new year along with a hundred other things like washing the close or steps etc )
As a nurse and a daughter of a nurse many Christmas days were actually boxing days Christmas Eve when we+were little or mine were
So I’m all for more family time if anything we should have taken from the last 17 months is you can never get time back

Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

There are many of my colleagues that are contracted to do Sundays so will be paid for Boxing Day and will not have to make their hours up. I opted out of Sunday’s a few years ago which is an option for staff to do so.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
As much as I applaud Morrisons and any other store that remains closed on Boxing Day, this year it falls on a Sunday( reduced Opening hours anyway) so for the Boxing Day Holiday on the 27th they will be open along with everyone else seeking to get everyone shopping as they have dared close for 48 hours
Boxing Day Holiday is actually on the 28th Dec. Christmas Day Holiday is on 27th Dec. Both Christmas Day and Boxing Day fall on a weekend this year and therefore the bank holidays will both move.

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I’m old enough to remember=
If Christmas Eve was Friday it was Wednesday before the shops opened back up
Yep. There was a time when large shops actually used to shut on bank holidays. So, as you say, this year they'd shut early on Christmas Eve and then not reopen until Wednesday 29th. Four whole days without shops being open - how would anyone survive!

Mind you, back then most shops (except newsagents and little corner shops) didn't open on Sundays at all and there was half-day closing on Wednesdays.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 21, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
And ?
I’m sure the staff see the day after Christmas Day off as their glass half full rather than half empty .
It’s a step in the right direction and one Sainsbury’s aren’t doing.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
scots minnie
Apprentice Imagineer

scots minnie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Fantastic news! Now let’s hope the others follow!
Old 11 Aug 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sparrow
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Boxing day is a Sunday this year. Great PR for little loss.

Two Bank Holidays on the Mon and Tue will more than make up for it.

Sorry for being cynical.
That is true. Sunday trading rules of only 6 hours.
Old 11 Aug 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Great news, I dont think any shop should be open on Boxing day.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List