Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Sep 21, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
muffa2308
Imagineer

A simple twist of fate

So,

Back from honeymoon and happy as Larry to be getting on with life with my wonderful wife. We went to the local Morrison’s to grab a few bits. It’s only a short walk, we decided to walk a slightly different way home. There were 2 guys working on scaffolding. There was no cordoned off area and it took the whole pavement area. We had to walk in the road. No problem, as we walked by there was a loud bang. We looked around and the guy at the top has dropped a cordless drill about 100 feet up. This missed DW by about 3 feet! It would have seriously injured or killed her if it hit. The guy apologised and said it just slipped out of his pocket as he was passing planks down to his workmate. His work mate shouted at him ‘you could have bloody killed her’

I was in initial shock but as I walked up the street it dawned on me how lucky we were and now how bloody angry I am as simply walking by could have killed her. I want to report it as a H and S violation. My DW says leave it but I’m furious. Kids and families walk up and down there all the time. This area should have been cordoned off and he should not have had anything in his pockets like a big drill while passing planks down. Just so grateful she was not hit by it as the consequences would have been severe
muffa2308 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Glad you're both alright. Give the Health and Safety Executive a call. I think the builder may have to report near misses to at least whoever is in charge of H and S on the site.
Old 16 Sep 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I once had a near miss with a scaffold pole in London. It hit and killed a man who was walking behind me. It still shakes me up thinking of it, 30 plus years later.
Old 16 Sep 21, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Report it in as many places as you can. Next time might not be so lucky.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Mobile

In my job, I deal with these types of accidents daily, including many where scaffolding poles have killed people, amputees, crush injuries etc.
Sometimes sadly, people get content in those sort of environments and one small mistake (like dropping a drill) can have a serious impact.
I would report it to H&S, but also call the scaffolding firm and let them know directly what happened. Then they can at least give a refresher course; training, a stern word to all staff.
Pleased that you was both ok.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Absolutely report it as it should be investigated, had there been a barrier it wouldn't have been a near miss for your wife. Though anyone on site would have been at risk.
Old 16 Sep 21, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Each month we get the Call Safe report and you would be horrified at the number of needless and stupid accidents which result in serious injury or death many of which are the same scenario month on month. Would report it as there is no excuse as all sites have stringent safety rules.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Please please do report it do not let it go, next time it could kill someone!
Old 17 Sep 21, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Oh my goodness, fate was on your side. Do report it though, don't feel bad if you think they'll get into trouble. You might potentially save a life
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Report.

I'm glad you are both okay
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List