Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jul 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

amazon/Smart-easy-...s%2C148&sr=1-3
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
We rent so can’t put in proper air con or ceiling fan either, so annoying.
We have a portable air con unit to cool down the flat. It works really well but it is LOUD. That’s in the day/evening too, in the quiet of night it would seem even louder. We put up with it in the day because it works so well but have to use a fan at night.

Let him look at/hear some if he wants, he’ll soon realise it’s a silly idea for night time

It may be the one you have but we use this tower fan at night. It’s the only one I can put up with as the quiet mode is actually quiet. The tower Dyson one isn’t silent and I find the hum of that more annoying than a normal fan! I think the smaller dyson desk fans are quieter though.
amazon/gp/aw/d/B06...b_b_asin_title

I also recommend a frozen cold compress gel pack wrapped in a small towel for under your feet. Keeps cool all night.
Thank you will definitley look at that fan. Good idea with the cold compress gel too, we already have some in the freezer!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on the 5 year warranty.

I had two of these cheap imports years ago (not the same make but probably made in the same place - B & Q and wickes used to sell similar ones), and they did the job for a while but struggled on hot days/nights to cope with cooling the rooms down, and both lasted no longer than 3 years before I replaced them with known decent branded ones.

The 12.000 btu same make only has 3 stars. The proper branded split air con units are worth the cost of fitting in my opinion.

Edited at 08:22 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
We have a dyson tower fan - it’s amazing!

I’d definitely recommend as it’s quiet and actually cools the air.

We’ve had standard fans and a portable ac unit before and this is so much better.

I bought it from the dyson eBay page so saved quiet a bit as it’s a refurb but you still get a warranty.
I dont believe it does actually cool the air as surely it is a fan? Just a bladeless fan? There is nothing in it that cools the air?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Best to try if you can to stop the heat coming in to start with, as that will help a lot.

Keep all windows and curtains/blinds closed if sun coming in.

If there’s no air and it’s hot and humid outside opening stuff up just heats it up indoors.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

We've got a portable AC unit and we probably use it two, maybe three times a year (we fortunately got it free as part of an insurance claim). The unit is ridiculously noisy (if you think the noise of the fan is bad, the compressor/refrigerator is even worse) and is stupidly inefficient.

I've looked into dual split systems to cover our room and DD's however the money I would spend on a split unit, plus then having to find someone connect and gas the system, would massively eat into my Disney trip budget!
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
My husband wants to buy a portable air conditioning unit to use in our bedroom. We've both been sleeping really badly the last few weeks and he thinks its because our bedroom is like a furnace in the summer- he's probably right.

Anyone have any advice or tips? Specifically on...

A) He thinks we can spend around £200 and get something decent that works. Is that correct? The last thing I want to do is end up both hot and poor if the thing is junk

B) We have a stand fan but he won't have it on at night because it's too loud and windy. Will an air con unit have the same problems?

C) Are they hideously expensive to run? Would we be better off just forking out for one of those fancy Dyson fans?

Oh and any specific model recommendations in the £200 bracket welcome!
We ended up having a ceiling fan fitted. It was great. Three speeds but the lowest is great at night. Can hardly hear it at all. Had it fitted to a light fixture in the ceiling. The room is still hot when the fan is off, but when on, its like a lovely cool summer breeze and covers a wide area so even the dogs benefit
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Believe me I wish we could install a ceiling fan! When we were in Florida in May we actually preferred the ceiling fan to the air con unit at PORS.

We are going to try sleeping with the fan on tonight and if he can't hack the noise he will concede the air con unit will be way too loud.

Normally we love Summer but these hot humid nights suck! Wish we still lived in Yorkshire and not the South East
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
Best to try if you can to stop the heat coming in to start with, as that will help a lot.

Keep all windows and curtains/blinds closed if sun coming in.

If there’s no air and it’s hot and humid outside opening stuff up just heats it up indoors.
Thanks good call. I normally want to open the windows wide but you're probably right that it doesn't help when it's so muggy outside.
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I spent £200 or so on one from Anazon and it's great. Buy in winter as price shoots up when it's warm. Mine will be out tomorrow. Last year it was in use all summer.
Mine is pretty quiet and gets the room nice and cool.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List