Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jul 20, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Preparation for new kitchen advice

We found out yesterday that our new kitchen will finally be starting next Monday. It was supposed to be 6th April but obviously lockdown got in the way. Any suggestions on how to prepare and cope for 2 weeks of mayhem. Magnet are doing all the fitting we chose the gold standard as we are moving from gas hob to induction thereby requiring the gas to be cut off safely. Due to covid restrictions we cannot go into the kitchen at any time. We are giving them the sole use of the garage, utility room and kitchen for the duration. Dh has taken over the living room as an office so we can’t shove everything in there. How do you cope with the meal time situation or can anyone give recommendations for microwave meals that don’t need much prep as we are thinking since Dh is already in the living room we will set up the microwave in there. We are hopefully going to take the fridge freezer out and put it in the garage if we can get access to it but if not we will have no fridge at all. I’m not looking forward to this and think that’s the reason why it’s taken 18 years to install a new kitchen.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
When we had our kitchen replaced in 2018, I set up a mini kitchen in our conservatory. I made good use of all our small electrical appliances, George Foreman grill, slow cooker, toaster, toasted sandwich maker and microwave. We do not like shop bought microwave meals but I always make extra chilli, cottage pie etc when I cook, so we used these. We also have a gas barbecue and I made a spag bol and a few other meals on that when the weather was good. I tried washing up in the bath but that was not good on my back, so I set up a washing up bowl and table outside which was much easier. It’s a pain and we resorted to a couple of take aways when we were really fed up but it was worth it in the end.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Mini kitchen set up in the front room with a dining table maybe set up with toaster and kettle etc
Will need an extra sink!, so consider sink in downstairs loo as you cannot access your utility room?
Microwave was good and we cooked quite a few meals using this.
We were fine in the end, hope it goes well 👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I think you are being over generous giving them the garage. They cannot expect to have the utility room and the garage as well in my view.

They should set up a little covered tent structure outside for their table saw and cutting tables.

That will leave you the garage to cope as best you can.

I lay money if you give them the garage they will be cutting in there and making even more mess.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzy1
Excited about Disney

Disposable cups, plates and cutlery for the duration. Not eco friendly, but saves a lot of hassle.
dizzy1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

The bit that annoyed me most was washing up in a sink or bath...not having a sink.
We got around the cooking issues by having a hot plate, a slow cooker and microwave.

We also found creating an area to sit and eat, even in the garden , rather than on laps.
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

When we had our kitchen fitted in 2018, we went to Florida for three weeks

Good ol' days!

Paper plates etc. is an excellent idea. Try to prepare a few batches of spaghetti bolognese, chilli, casseroles etc. and freeze them. Try to set up a small kitchen somewhere in your house with a kettle, toaster, microwave, and maybe even a small plug in induction hob. Maybe stock up on lots of tins of soup and beans.

Best of luck with the new kitchen... Im sure it will be worth all the trouble
Old 14 Jul 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
simmofamily
Imagineer

Hope it goes better than mines going. Still away off from being finished and the fitters been at it for 5 weeks.
We knew he has other jobs but this is taking the Michael and as for the floor... it's got to be seen to be believed
Old 14 Jul 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I think you are being over generous giving them the garage. They cannot expect to have the utility room and the garage as well in my view.

They should set up a little covered tent structure outside for their table saw and cutting tables.

That will leave you the garage to cope as best you can.

I lay money if you give them the garage they will be cutting in there and making even more mess.
The garage is integral and I think they are going to use it to store parts of the kitchen. I’ll say to Dh to ask them not to cut etc in there .
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

I have no useful advice because when I had my new kitchen we handed over the keys and went on holiday for two weeks, when we got home it was finished. Obviously we trusted the supplier, it was a small local company who had done lots of work for my neighbours so we felt we could trust them. We also gave a key to a neighbour so they could pop in from time to time and check up on them. I know you can't go away at the moment but I have to admit it was the first time I was ever excited about coming home from Orlando. Good luck and I am sure you will love it when it's all finished.