Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 16 Aug 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Crete - the raki diaries. Day 2

Today dawned without a cloud and we were down at breakfast a little earlier. Partly to avoid the European lady and partly to get out and about a little earlier.

Today we were going to Falasarna Beach. It’s much closer than Elafonissi and the roads stay good until arrival.
We were on our way by 9 15 and it was an easy drive. The views on the way past Kissamos were breathtaking.

We made our way from up-high down the narrow track to the car park. Plenty of space, unlike a Elafonissi where cars were just abandoned everywhere.
The beach was coarse yellow sand and the bay was picturesque. The water was shallow and gently shelved making it great for families. There were a couple of tavernas and you could rent water sports etc.
The sun beds were 40 euros for a posh double cabana, 30 euros for posh beds and an umbrella, 20 euros for posh beds further back and 10 euros for 2 ordinary beds with umbrellas at the back.
It was a much better set up than Elafonissi, with the tavernas doing a drinks and cocktail service. A man came round selling large ring donuts.
The only downside was that it was very, very windy.

We spent a good few hours under the umbrella, dipping in the sea to cool off and people watching. Just lovely.
We ate our rolls from the bakery that we had bought yesterday for lunch and took plenty of water.

About 330 we set back off in the car on the coastal road, stopping at the side of the road to buy some local honey. An old man with a donkey was well set up to catch passing trade and on the opposite side of the road the hillside was littered with bee hives. He told us that the bees ate the nectar from the thyme bushes which made the honey so tasty. He insisted we try every product he had - even the honey raki.
We bought some honey and olive oil and were back on the coast road.
We decided to try and find the local winery, Karavitakis, which on the map wasn’t far from Spilia.
Off the main road and the sat nav took us down a single track road, through a river bed and into the hills. I have to say it was well signposted.
We parked up and followed the path to the winery shop. What an amazing place. Very modern, gorgeously landscaped and with a small chapel in the grounds. There was a covered terrace where wine tastings take place and food is available. Had I have known, I would have eaten here and booked a taxi. The owner asked us what kind of wines we liked and brought 3 out to test. They were all spot on and of varying qualities. He offered us the rose and reds to taste if we wanted to.
We bought a mixed case, one of which is chilling nicely as I type.
As we left, the group on the terrace seemed a little louder and a little rosier of the cheeks than when we arrived. A giant of a Greek man ran over to me and said you have to try my sausage (phnar).
He wouldn’t take no for an answer and wouldn’t let me take it off the end of his very sharp knife. “No, no, like this... and he fed it to me! I know how dodgy this sounds, but there was nothing weird . He did the same to DH. Then a very glamorous lady ran up and said “You must have some pies”, and gave us 2 spinach and feta pies and napkins.
I keep wondering if it all really happened!
Anyway, back down the windy roads to Spilia and the hotel.
Just time for a quick mythos round the pool, shower and out for dinner to the same taverna we had visited the previous night.
We shared tzatziki, bread, a Greek salad and slow cooked lamb. Once again we were given complimentary fresh fruit and raki.
We spent a little time talking to the waiter, who told us how sad he was at the current situation. He said wearing masks meant his customers couldn’t see him smiling.
I was smiling, he was very handsome!
Taking the 2 minute walk back to the hotel we could see a family meal taking place in one of the village houses. A long table filled with babies, adults, the elderly and lots of laughter.
As we drank coffee on the terrace, the music at the families meal turned into singing and someone got a bouzouki out. The X factor it wasn’t!
Day 2 over!

I have tried to take more photos, but I’m more of an enjoy the moment girl.
Anyway, here are some pics of the lovely Spilia Village. And our hotel room and terrace.

Old 16 Aug 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Another great day it sounds perfect 💕

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Lovely day, didnt know about the winery, may try that out today, thanks
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Yes def worth a look!
The lovely owner said if we paid cash he would give us a bottle free as he preferred his customers to get his profits rather than the bank😀.
Old 17 Aug 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Really enjoying following along with your holiday. Thank you
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
CC71
Apprentice Imagineer

CC71's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Another one really enjoying following your trip!loving your choice of hotels and I’m shamelessly making notes for our proposed trip to Crete next year 😆
Old 20 Aug 20, 06:32 AM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

It’s absolutely beautiful.
You will have a great time.
Old 5 Sep 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like a great day, winery sounds lovely... hope the wine was!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List