Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Nov 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
loubie
Excited about Disney

Motorhome awning rail height

Evening Dibbers

We have an Autotrail Apache 700 2006 motorhome and I'm trying to find the awning rail height so we can purchase a drive away awning.

I've looked in the handbook, online specifications and forums but I cannot find out what the height is.

I will go and measure next weekend but just wondered if anyone on here might know.

Thank you

Louise
loubie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi. We have an autotrail tracker fb registered 2015. If you can wait will morning ( dark n wet here) my husband will measure and I’ll let you know.
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
loubie
Excited about Disney

That would be fabulous, are they all mostly the same height? . Thank you so much. Can I ask if you have used a drive away awning with it?

Louise
loubie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Don’t know if they are much the same height. We’ve measured ours. We have a ‘built in wind out’ awning which when wound in is flush with the sides of Elvis (the Motorhome) if that makes sense. Our awning is a kampa air beam one and is a non drive away one if that makes sense. From ground to the bottom of the wind out awning which ours fits onto is 2 m 50cm. We had a drive away one previously and to be honest never used it as a drive away one (too much faff). We just put it up beside Elvis and used it as an extension. The kampa one is great. Virtually doubles the living area - which is fab when you have two large bouncy labradors ! I hope this helps. I love my motorhome...
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
loubie
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much for all the information. We are now swayed at a freestanding awning which we could also use at home in the garden if needed. We are looking at an Outdoor Revolution Cayman awning.

Just got to make the right choice the first time!

Hope it's not too long before you are able to get away again. We are central England and hoping to take it on a trip to the seaside in December if lockdown restrictions are relaxed.

Thank you so much.

Louise
Old 16 Nov 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

If there is one thing I would say about awnings in today's age (having used them with a motorhome over a long while), spend the money on an air framed one.

Drive away ones are usually free standing (as in enclosed on all 4 sides when you zip in the side where the van would be. The main difference is that you have the extra piece that either hooks over the van or slides into the slot if you have that.

It really depends on what you want to use it for. You could go for anything from a day tent to pitch, through a drive away to a fixed awning.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

You are welcome. We’ve got a trip planned at new year for three nights and then who knows next year
Old 16 Nov 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

[APP]
Old 16 Nov 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

That’s our set up if that helps.
Old 16 Nov 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
5gotodisney
Excited about Disney

Hi, sorry, I’m not trying to jump on this, but dizzy could I ask you how you find the Tracker FB, we have started looking at Motorhomes and really like the look of the Tracker FB, so thought this was a really good chance to ask someone who’s got one.

On the subject of awnings, interested to see yours, we used to have a caravan a few years ago and our caravan awning was a bit like that, but wasn’t a wind out one, so I’m guessing awning design has moved on a bit from when we had the caravan.
5gotodisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List