Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sarah and Rachel do Hawaiifornia, July 2009, Day 5

The cast:
Me (Sarah) 24 – Disney addict and holiday planner extraordinaire

Rachel, 21 – Lover of sleeping in late and not doing a lot else. Partial to a little Disney. Oh, and my little sister.

Day 5 – Glacier Point and Yosemite Valley
Friday 17th July

Today was our big (and only) Yosemite day, as our car had to be back in San Francisco the following day, so we were up at 7.30am, and had the buffet breakfast at the hotel. It wasn’t up to much to be honest, but included with the room, so we couldn’t complain

It took us about 20 minutes to drive over to the road up to Glacier point and there was a sign outside saying, “Long delays” What? There’s no cars around, surely we won’t have to wait!

Wrong.

As soon as we turned on to the road there was a lady who told us the wait was about 20 minutes, despite the fact that we were 2nd in the queue. Oh well, at least we had some snacks and drinks in the car, so we made the most of it and sat on the road and sunbathed – it was lovely!

We finally made it up to Glacier point about 1.5 hours after leaving the hotel, but it was sooo worth it! I never made it up here last time I was in Yosemite due to not having a car, so it was extra special to come here, and the views were out of this world.

A look out just before Glacier Point:

The half dome, which towers above the valley, is on the left here:

Before the last bit of the drive up to Glacier Point:

At Glacier point, we parked up and walked up the 1/4 mile trail to the look out. These pictures are looking at the Half Dome and down towards the valley:

I have travelled a reasonable amount and I honestly think Yosemite has some of the best views in the world. I could have spent all day up here.

By lunch time, we had made it down to the valley and parked up in the day visitors car park. Boy, it was hot down here! Lunch was quickly grabbed at the deli in Yosemite village and then we walked over to the bottom of Lower Yosemite falls. The atmosphere was great down here, with families playing and cooling off in the icy cold water; we couldn’t resist having a dip ourselves:

Next we caught the shuttle on to Happy Valley, past Curry Village, where I had stayed on my previous visit and got off where we could “hike” to Mirror Lake (its actually more of a stroll) Now, I had tried to warn Rachel that Mirror Lake didn’t exactly live up to its name at this time of year, and was actually more of a pond, but she didn’t heed my warning and when we got there I heard a sigh and, “Is this it?!”

Yep...it was:

We had a bit of paddle here too and then caught the shuttle back to the day parking and drove back to the hotel, arriving about 6pm.

Dinner was had on the balcony of the restaurant tonight:

And then we lay about reading until it was time for an early night.

Tomorrow: Back to San Francisco
Old 2 Sep 09, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkers
Imagineer

fantastic pictures again. Just can't wait to go next year.

Hilton Head April 2018
China & Japan Sept 2018
Portugal Oct 18
Tinkers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 09, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Aw can't believe you only had one day at Yosemite Tis a gorgeous place though and your photos are fab.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 09, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Your photos are fab! Yosemite is on my list of places to visit!
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 09, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
OMG Yosemite looks absolutely gorgeous...fantastic photos again
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 09, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Photos are amazing, Yosemite looks absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to go there and we only have 1 day too!

April 1999 - Rodeway Inn Sept 2002 - Chatham Park Villa Sept 2004 - Quality Inn Plaza Nov 2005 - Crowne Plaza Universal Nov 2006 - I Drive Inn Sept 2007 - Homewood Suites Jan 2007 - DLP & Paris
Oct 2009 - Road Trip (Groveland, Yosemite, Vegas, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Kingman, Palm Springs, Buena Park, Valencia, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco)

tracyh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 09, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Loving this report, i would love to visit Yosemite now!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 09, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Manc_Chris
slightly serious Dibber

Far better than theme parks by the look of it !

Great photos, thanks.
Jul '95: Kissimmee/Keys Oct '96/Oct '97/Aug '05/Oct '07: Kissimmee. May '98: Kissimmee Oct '01: RotondaOct 2012:Kissimmee/Anna Maria IslandSep '14: Davenport/RotondaOct '16: Cape Coral/Spring Hill Sep '17: Kissimmee/Rotonda Oct ‘18: Oregon/California Sep ‘19: Highlands Reserve/Bradenton Feb '22: Sunridge Woods Oct '23: New England Road Trip
Manc_Chris is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 09, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great report with lovely photos.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 09, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
colinzy
Imagineer

Amazing photos!