Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 18 Sep 19, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Day 8: Grand Floridian Cafe lunch

After four very busy park days we decided to take it easy today. We had a very light club lounge breakfast then chilled out at the hotel before heading for a late lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe. We got there by taking the first park bus to turn up as they usually stop at the Contemporary, then monorail from there.

Despite it being quite a late sitting and the restaurant only half full, after checking in we were left to stand around outside for 5-10 minutes which was a bit annoying. We were eventually taken to our table and from then on service was good.

We decided to make this the main meal of the day as Nev had a MNSSHP to go to later. I ordered the onion soup for starter and the spinach-ricotta ravioli for main. Nev selected his new favourite starter of shrimp cocktail with a main of steak and eggs with the steak cooked rare.

My starter was lovely, just the right size and balance of soup versus croutons and cheese. I noticed that Nev’s prawn cocktail was deconstructed again, he has developed an interest in the 1980s prawn cocktail, but in any case he did not complain about the deconstruction and indeed he enjoyed it.

I was concerned to see his steak (first picture) it had some sear on it that I doubted could be achieved on a rare steak, he cut it open and it was pretty much grey inside other than a tiny bit in the middle that was still pink. I don’t think this is reflected in the photos but it really was the case. We have never sent a steak back for being wrongly cooked but this was more or less well done versus the rare ordered so we did. My main was taken away as well.

Upon return the chef came along as well, I would say the second steak was medium-rare not rare which Nev decided was good enough and, having tasted myself I also thought was very nice. We had a pleasant little chat with the chef and our server about how the definitions of medium, rare etc may vary across the globe and we said that even this second steak, whilst nice, was still not rare in our view.

As we were finishing up, our server and the chef returned again with another piece of steak! Our server announced she asked them to try again to achieve a rare piece of steak. This time they did.

Overall, a very pleasant lunch at the Grand Floridian and excellent service.

Edited at 02:10 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Your French onion soup looks delicious! And we’ll done to the chef at GF for providing such a great service... just as it should be
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Mobile

It was good that the chef took time to come and see you but I’m not sure how rate can really be that different wherever you come from. Overall it seems the GF Cafè gets good reviews.
Disney Planning is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Definitely considering heading to the Grand Floridian Cafe and paying oop when our dining plan ends. The food looks great and seems to be good value for money too.
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Really disappointing to hear that your case was poorly handed by bell services. I think this is a risk you take with hard shell cases with airlines but I expect them to be handled more carefully when just being moved between resorts! Pleased to hear concierge have (hopefully) dealt with this well.

Glad to know you got your upgraded Magic Bands without any trouble.

I think you did the right thing cancelling your breakfast ADRs, certainly they’d have been a nice change from the Club offerings but no need to pay for breakfast twice!

Nomad looks great, being OOP is a great excuse to try out plenty of lounge offerings, I keep seeing yuca fries popping up places and I am interested to try them.

My shackles were raised at the start to your meal at HBD but glad to hear you let the server know how you would like things paced and he sorted out the starter issue. The scallops look lovely as does Nev’s main. Very odd regarding the lack of tables cloth!
I highly recommend yuca fries, it was nice to have something new and different. We haven’t seen our voucher for the luggage yet, I think it is time to follow that one up.

Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
Your French onion soup looks delicious! And we’ll done to the chef at GF for providing such a great service... just as it should be
Yes it was very good service, couldn’t fault it.

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
It was good that the chef took time to come and see you but I’m not sure how rate can really be that different wherever you come from. Overall it seems the GF Cafè gets good reviews.
Oh really, that is interesting, we have always thought that a US rare is not as rare as we are used to. Certainly wasn’t yesterday anyway.

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Definitely considering heading to the Grand Floridian Cafe and paying oop when our dining plan ends. The food looks great and seems to be good value for money too.
We actually said yesterday whilst we were there that we paid just about half of the evening before and the food was just as good and the ambience much nicer. A good OOP option.
Old 18 Sep 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 8: Geyser Point Bar & Grill dinner

Tonight Nev was going to MNSSHP, I was not as I went last week. Learning from my mistake of going at 4pm and being shattered with the heat by 7pm, he set off st 7pm, swinging past the Geyser Point Bar & Grill to drop me off beforehand.

Well it was absolutely packed, despite being a QS location there was a thirty minute wait for a table. I didn’t want to sit at the bar by myself, but it seemed the only option so Nev left me there and I ordered some water and a glass of rose wine as I didn’t like any of the white options. I also ordered the bison burger.

The wine was really awful, it was like acid and I would go so far as to say undrinkable but probably a very good sink unblocker. I tried hard to get the bar servers attention, I caught his eye and spoke on two occasions. He ignored me both times and the third time he looked me in the eye, ignored me and then vacated the bar, obviously it was his break time. The staff did look busy, no denying that, and I wouldn’t even have minded had I just not been spotted but the bar itself was not that busy and I know he saw me. So I gave up and left.

When I got back to Club level, I had missed the evenings food so I mentioned to a member of staff what had happened. Shortly afterwards the manager of Geyser Point phoned me and offered to bring my meal to the room. Which she did personally and comped.

A good recovery from Disney. The food was super, I dare say one of the most interesting and enjoyable burgers I have ever had, in particular I loved the onion straws on top. I didn’t realise it would come with waffle fries and that also made a nice change.

But how disappointing abut Geyser Point, is looks so lovely in the marketing photos and being at our resort I had earmarked it for a few afternoons and evenings. Perhaps I was unlucky and just arrived at the wrong time, but I am not sure I want to go back now if it is this crowded. I am inclined to say that a QS restaurant with a thirty minute waiting time for a table, probably should be a TS restaurant.

Edited at 02:30 PM.
Old 18 Sep 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

That service at GP isn’t good enough so I’m glad they delivered and comped your food. We went a few weeks ago and it wasn’t so busy around 4.30 and we got a table very easily. The Long Island iced tea was excellent.

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
That service at GP isn’t good enough so I’m glad they delivered and comped your food. We went a few weeks ago and it wasn’t so busy around 4.30 and we got a table very easily. The Long Island iced tea was excellent.
Good to know, I guess 7pm would be a popular time. We may try again for a late lunch another day in that case.

It is Takumi-Tei tonight, I think you were one of a couple of people that would be looking out for that one. We are both looking forward to it.

Edited at 02:36 PM.
Old 18 Sep 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Good to know, I guess 7pm would be a popular time. We may try again for a late lunch another day in that case.

It is Takumi-Tei tonight, I think you were one of a couple of people that would be looking out for that one. We are both looking forward to it.
Yes! Hurrah! It’s the one that I’m super keen to read. Lots of photos please ... I hope it lives up to its reputation for you it’s supposed to be excellent. Are you going to try the tasting menu?

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Mobile

We drove to WL to go to GP at lunchtime when we were there in December but they wouldn’t let us in even though we were staying at POFQ. So it’s still on my list to try. Shame about your experience though.
Disney Planning is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List