Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bugsy
Apprentice Imagineer

I havent posted in a long time. A wee update

My Daughter struggled through the first 3 weeks and was anxious about everything. However she got up and went and did things ( while taking Kalms and wearing a pressure wrist band). I was so proud of her, even more than all the grades and awards she has received. We brought her home every weekend until November when she stayed at weekends.

By the time the lockdown happened she was loving it, really likes being away and running her own life etc. The sudden move ( without saying lots of goodbyes etc) was hard on her. She passed all the courses and is going into 2nd year.

Now just applying for flats ( they were doing viewings when the lockdown happened) and have found one which i think they have reserved.

She is really looking forward to returning.
Sequoia Lodge 2006,Sequoia Lodge 2008,Sequoia Lodge 2009,Old Key West 2010,Sequoia Lodge 2011,Old Key West 2012,Old Key West 2014,Royal Pacific Resort 2016,Anaheim 2016,Sequoia Lodge 2018,Beach Club 2019
Bugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I havent posted in a long time. A wee update

My Daughter struggled through the first 3 weeks and was anxious about everything. However she got up and went and did things ( while taking Kalms and wearing a pressure wrist band). I was so proud of her, even more than all the grades and awards she has received. We brought her home every weekend until November when she stayed at weekends.

By the time the lockdown happened she was loving it, really likes being away and running her own life etc. The sudden move ( without saying lots of goodbyes etc) was hard on her. She passed all the courses and is going into 2nd year.

Now just applying for flats ( they were doing viewings when the lockdown happened) and have found one which i think they have reserved.

She is really looking forward to returning.
That’s fantastic news to hear how well your DD has settled now and is looking forward to her second year. My DD found the first month or so quite difficult too, she felt far more homesick than she had expected to. Regular weekends home helped her too.

The way their year ended without a chance to say goodbye was really hard for them, but I think it’s made Georgia even more determined to enjoy her next year and she’s eagerly waiting until she can pick up her keys to her new house with her friends.

Has your DD heard how teaching will be at her uni next term? I think most will start mainly online but I’m hoping that they can get some contact time too
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bugsy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
That’s fantastic news to hear how well your DD has settled now and is looking forward to her second year. My DD found the first month or so quite difficult too, she felt far more homesick than she had expected to. Regular weekends home helped her too.

The way their year ended without a chance to say goodbye was really hard for them, but I think it’s made Georgia even more determined to enjoy her next year and she’s eagerly waiting until she can pick up her keys to her new house with her friends.

Has your DD heard how teaching will be at her uni next term? I think most will start mainly online but I’m hoping that they can get some contact time too
They have been told that the term will start as expected on the 21st of September, no real detail though. I suppose it will depend on government advice at the time. Like Georgia she does a life sciences degree and therefore has labtime. She expects that labs will be face to face as will small group sessions to begin with. Some large lectures may be online. She intends to return in September anyway and see how it goes. Going to uni and growing up is so much more than just the lectures etc.

Hopefully things will continue to improve and life can be more normal.
Sequoia Lodge 2006,Sequoia Lodge 2008,Sequoia Lodge 2009,Old Key West 2010,Sequoia Lodge 2011,Old Key West 2012,Old Key West 2014,Royal Pacific Resort 2016,Anaheim 2016,Sequoia Lodge 2018,Beach Club 2019
Bugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
They have been told that the term will start as expected on the 21st of September, no real detail though. I suppose it will depend on government advice at the time. Like Georgia she does a life sciences degree and therefore has labtime. She expects that labs will be face to face as will small group sessions to begin with. Some large lectures may be online. She intends to return in September anyway and see how it goes. Going to uni and growing up is so much more than just the lectures etc.

Hopefully things will continue to improve and life can be more normal.
That’s good to hear your DD’s term will start at the original date. Georgia is hopeful for lab time and small group sessions. She is going back a week or two before term officially starts, rules permitting of course. It will give them time to settle into their new home with their friends.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Looking for advice, Josh has to collect keys for his new place next week, now I must admit I have given up listening to all the Covid 19 news, so my question is, is he allowed to travel to manchester to his new flat? His pat time job (bar) is opening up so there is a good chance he will be back to work withing a few weeks, what is everyone else doing regards new flats etc. Thanks xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Looking for advice, Josh has to collect keys for his new place next week, now I must admit I have given up listening to all the Covid 19 news, so my question is, is he allowed to travel to manchester to his new flat? His pat time job (bar) is opening up so there is a good chance he will be back to work withing a few weeks, what is everyone else doing regards new flats etc. Thanks xx
Hi Shirley, Molly is going over to Sheffield and moving some of her stuff next week. At the moment only Leicester is locked down so Josh should be ok getting to Manchester
I think a lot of students will be picking up keys and moving some stuff over the next few weeks
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Hi Shirley, we took Georgia yesterday to pick up her keys in Bristol and we took some of her basic things to leave there (towels, bedding) Here in Wales we can only travel 5 miles, but moving her belongings to her new flat was classed as essential travel (I checked) so we were fine taking her things. When we were there, many other students were moving into nearby flats too.

I think Josh will be fine to move into his new flat. I hope his job starts back soon and he enjoys his second year in uni
Old 2 Jul 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Bugsy
Apprentice Imagineer

My DD just found out yesterday that she has the flat she wanted , just awaiting the electronic lease to be sent out to sign. They expect the keys on the 23rd. We also intend to go through ( 80 miles) and drop some basics etc off on or around that date.
Does anyone have any idea how bill paying will work. The landlord doesnt pay them so do they agree for one person to pay a bill and the rest transfer money monthly ? then another person to pay for another bill etc?

I think its only Gas and Electric and Broadband that they will have to pay so two bills
Old 2 Jul 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks guys, just need to work out what we will take and method of transport, the bus is normally £11 single now £51! I will check out the trains but if they are pricey then Ill take my wee Panda with essentials, xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

We are going up to Ormskirk on Saturday to move some bits from Ry's old flat into his new flat (same block and same landlady so should be straight forward)

He hasn't been able to get a job at all so far at home to tide him over and he's getting on my nerves now lol. I might suggest he uses his new flat as a little bolt hole and go up before the end of September for a few short breaks - he hasn't seen his friends since March and has only left the house 3 times in all this time for a walk!

I'm sure this virus isn't helping with the mental health of our youth … he's never been the outgoing type and had only really this year got himself a nice little group of friends. Such a shame.
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List