Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jan 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
I contacted the CEO of Thomas cook directly when something similar happened to us within 5 days it was sorted and the money and compensation was in my account ... peter.fankhauser@thomascook.com
do you think he will give me an upgrade if I drop him a line!
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by liloandstitch View Post
I didn't upgrade though I brought a Premium flight straight away there were two distinct prices one for economy and one for premium not sure if that would make a difference.
By "upgrade" it doesn't mean that you paid a lower price first for an Economy seat and then paid extra to get a Premium Economy seat.

By "upgrade" it simply means that you paid more for a Premium Economy seat than you would have done if you'd decided to get an Economy seat. Choosing the more expensive option right from the start is an upgrade from the basic option.

Thus, as you didn't get to sit in Premium Economy - i.e. TC didn't provide what they were contracted, and paid, to provide - then you are due compensation in the form of a refund. At the very least this refund should be the difference in price between a Premium Economy ticket and an Economy ticket for that flight (that's the "upgrade" price).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by liloandstitch View Post
Thanks so much for the advice.. I will compose one more email to remind them of all that then go onto the next stage.
I wouldn't bother, you will win any small claims battle so I'd just tell them you reject their offer and have started court proceedings to recover the monies owed to you plus interest and the cost of the time taken so far to deal with them.

Any small claims court Award would cover the application fee, interest, actual money and reasonable fees for loss or earnings whilst dealing with the claim
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
headpin
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I wouldn't bother, you will win any small claims battle so I'd just tell them you reject their offer and have started court proceedings to recover the monies owed to you plus interest and the cost of the time taken so far to deal with them.

Any small claims court Award would cover the application fee, interest, actual money and reasonable fees for loss or earnings whilst dealing with the claim
Firstly you would need to send a letter before action/claim before commencing any proceedings, including a small claims action. Mr Tom Morrow suggested this. You need to outline what you are claiming and why and include any relevant documents and/or information. Interest is currently calculated simply at 8%pa. Allow a reasonable period for a response, as Tom suggests 14 days is ok.

A small claim is easily commenced online using the .gov.uk website.
headpin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck. Following with interest as we are flying TC PE on the summer.
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Think Nimbus hit the nail on the head above, you did not get the goods you actually paid for. Ignore any terms as upgrade etc. You bought Premium and they were unable to offer this to you, due to their circumstances not yours.
Should they offer the difference in ticket plus another £150 for the inconvenience then I would say that is a starting point for discussion, their current offer is an embarrassment to a company such as Thomas Cook

Small claims court process is simple and as Mr Tom Morrow stated you should instigate this as your next step asap.
Be strong in all of your words and keep to the exact facts and avoid adding emotional detail. You have been wronged and the court will see that Thomas Cook did not deliver what had been bought originally.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Claret1882
Proud to wear my Ears

I suppose the good news is, with the removal of the two Air Tanker aircraft from the Thomas Cook fleet this summer the chances of being downgraded to an aircraft without the Premium cabin are going to be greatly reduced.
Claret1882 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
liloandstitch
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Thanks everyone, I'll let everyone know if there is anymore to tell. I didn't want to worry anyone, we have flown a few times with Thomas cook and had a good experience it was just this time that the problems started.
Old 25 Jan 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

YES - they are AT IT

It does not matter what the CAA think, CCA didnt bring in the rule.

It matters what the EU Reg says.

Its funny how - when someone says - TC not complying, I'll email the CAA - you email the CAA - and they say - thats nothing to do with us... then TC quote the CAAs rules!

AT IT!

Take your flight leg costs (if part of a package split 60/40 - 40 being flights), divide by 2 if only one leg then *75% - (PLUS money if you were delays) and you tell them what they should pay.

Then tell them 7 days in my bank or small claims court (moneyclaim online)

job done!

AT IT.

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

I had this exact same thing a few years ago and got nowhere with them. Their argument is that it's not a downgrade, Premium is just the normal Economy with extras supplied. They gave me back the difference plus £100 (because there was no in flight entertainment, so really everyone on that plane could have claimed) but it would have had to go to law for me to try to get anything more.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List