Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by lovesdisney View Post
I’ve worked as a nurse for nearly 20years... I’ve just completed my masters in advanced practice, have a good job but... I’m still feeling like I want a total career change... But to what I don’t know..
the current state of the nhs just leaves me disillusioned and as I approach 40yrs and still have nearly 30yrs til I pull my pension I wonder if there is more out there.
Has anyone had a total midlife crisis and changed career, and if you could change career what would you do?
Have you thought about looking for opportunities at local Universities - those with Undergraduate Nursing courses? It would be a complete change of focus but you would be passing your knowledge and skills on to the nurses of the future, still influencing practice but more removed from it. You would also get to keep your NHS pension and put your Masters to use too.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
MINI MOUSE
Very Serious Dibber

I was a HLTA in. High school for 8 years after working in a bakery for 18 years . 9 years ago we started fostering and have a 12 yr old long term who we have had for 9 years and a 4 and 6 yr old short term .
In March and within days of the girls coming my husband who turned 50 in April suffered 2 small strokes. This really shook us both up and re-evaluated our lives and where the stress was etc . He has worked himself up from factory worker to Operations manager of a manufacturing company but next Friday he will be leaving and he will become a full time foster carer along side me . Massive decision and I’m sure it will take him some getting used to but looking forward to having time to spend together and added bonus for him is that he gets to look after our year old grandson 2 days a week 😊.
We will defiantly be poorer but time richer and health is far more important than any money 😊

Edited at 07:12 AM.
MINI MOUSE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

I did 17 years as a Police Control Room Operator and I then left and became a Primary School Teacher. To be honest, if I could think of something else to move on to I might. I now work as a supply teacher (love the role but hate that lack of work). Good luck with whatever you do.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

Yep me! I’ve worked for the civil service for the past 20 years. Like you I too have become completely disillusioned. I would love to get into dog grooming but don’t know where to start!
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

I did it and didn’t regret a single minute of it! I’d worked in a bank for 20 years and got fed up with having to reapply for my job every couple of years. When yet another restructure was announced I decided I was going to apply for redundancy and then go to uni to become an occupational therapist. I started uni aged 39, graduated 3 years later and then worked for social services. I took a hefty pay cut, but the job was so much more rewarding and I met some very interesting characters. I was one of the oldest students in my cohort, but my life skills came in very handy and some of the youngsters struggled at times. Never too old to change direction!
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

I love reading this thread. I am currently on n a career break as I was so disallusioned with my last job. I am now looking at jobs and not sure where to start and seeing people who have changed career has given me food for thought to widen my horizons.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Beana10
Proud to wear my Ears

I worked in optics for 23 years. Gained plenty of qualifications in my field and worked my way up to practise manager. Had been a manger for 12 years until it came to a point that the business had changed beyond recognition. I wasn’t happy with the way things were going (director and head office). And just got out.
I now work for a rail way company working on board and it’s the best thing I ever did. There’s plenty of opportunities available and the pay is more ( believe it or not). Win win
Life is too short to be unhappy at work

Edited at 11:35 AM.
Beana10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve been in a call centre for 11 years (in October)

Id love to do something different I really would but the money per hour and the fact my shifts are around Hubby’s as we don’t have any other childcare.

I unfortunately don’t have the balls to leave
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Not as much as some of you. But I’ve been theatre based and emergency service based for 8 years in one way or another.

I love working for the police, but every job I want gets filled by ex officers and there isn’t a look in for staff anymore. So I’m done. I’ve applied for a job I really want, complete change of direction and I have passed round one. I have stage two on Friday.

It will really change things for me as I will have to step back from the theatre as the hours will clash. So that worries me because it means losing money in the short term which is really not ideal witha wedding to pay for. But mental health comes first.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
Imagineer

Earlier this year I had a complete overhaul after leaving my own retail business, and somehow fell into teaching English online to Chinese students, with no prior experience!

It's something I never imagined myself doing before but now, I only wish I'd found it earlier. I absolutely love working from home with complete flexibility, and a better hourly rate than I've ever had before. Wearing my PJs to work is the best haha - and I get to dibb in my breaks

It was a bit scary having such a drastic change but after a few months I'm settled and so happy I made the decision. I think if it's in your head you want to jump ship to something else, it's hard to ignore it and carry on as normal.

PS - If anyone here who has commented that they're looking for something new wants some more info, please just DM me and I'd be happy to give you more info. Noticed some of you said you were teaching previously
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List