Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jun 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

NYE Wedding, Thoughts?

Hi everyone

My partner and I have started to think about wedding plans and like the idea of a NYE wedding.

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on being a guest at a NYE wedding? Would you be happy to go? Would you be less inclined because it was NYE?

In terms of accommodation, there is a Premier Inn very close to our chosen venue that is £50 per night (based on NYE this year), and we would provide transport between the hotel and the venue so I'm hopeful that cost won't be too much of a factor for guests. The bridal party would stay onsite at the venue.

As it stands we are unsure about children? Initially we thought we wouldn't invite children but if we opt for NYE we may have to reconsider as I appreciate that childcare becomes more complicated on NYE. Thoughts?

Personally we would love to be invited to a NYE wedding as we are always at a bit of a loss at to what to do anyway. Would love to hear the experiences of anyone who has been to one?
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

If I wasn’t in the job I’m in,where working NYE is compulsory,then I would be more than happy to attend a wedding on NYE,but I don’t have childcare to consider.
Since the millennium NYE has not been the same and people don’t go out and celebrate it like they used to.
I think it’s a lovely idea and I would rather be attending a wedding,than being surrounded by people who want to be false and kiss me at 12 0 clock,as I really don’t like that aspect of NYE,being in my job.
Tracy x
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

One thing I’d consider is the jobs that your guests do and if it’s feasible for them to get time off over New Year.

I know a lot of people do get time off for New Year, but for a lot of people it’s a choice between working Christmas and working New Year, so if they wanted Christmas off this would affect them getting the time off for the wedding.

Or if the holidays are a first come first served basis then they might struggle to get time off as it’s a popular day to book off.

My only other thing to consider would be money wise, it’s an expensive time of year and obviously guests would need to pay for their hair done, nails, clothes ect.

I think a lot of people, myself included, often spend NYE sat at home with not much to do, so I’d like to go to a NYE wedding, but I’d struggle to get the day off if I was invited to one.

klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Thank you both, really helpful responses!

We have obviously had a good think about the wedding party and are 100% confident that no one would have any trouble getting the time off - a good chunk of them are actually teachers so no issues there! However you are right that we need to consider extended family and whether they would be in the same position.
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

My mum and dad got married on NYE 1969 as they wanted to get married in the 60’s. As a family it’s always been a lovely way to spend NYE as it’s a double celebration and for us, more of a reason to celebrate.

Funnily enough as it was mum and dads 50th wedding anniversary last New Year we went to Tenerife as a family of 10. It was great! In those heady days of pre-covid.

So, if you don’t mind it being cold I’d recommend it.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i've DJed a couple of NYE weddings, and while theyve been fun, there were comments about how a bunch of the guests didnt come because they had other plans or couldnt get babysitters

also, i dont know about other DJs, but i charge double my normal fee for NYE. personally, i prefer not working it (we usually go to a friends house along with a bunch of others), so if i'm going to do it, i want it to really be worth my while

don't want to pee on your chips, but NYE is already one of the biggest party dates of the year, why would you want to compete with all that?
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I would also look at the practical aspect , we got married in early December and organised a party to come back to , many people couldn't attend due to previously arranged work parities and many being honest and saying they simply couldn't afford it due to Christmas spends

I know you are thinking about next year & NYE, but due to the uncertainty of this year, peoples finances and priorities could have changed.
NYE for many is a family time so as you say if you decide not to have children there it could make a big impact on your guest figures.

I would'nt be at all surprised if many places up their costs to re coup this years losses

A lot to think about and I wish you good luck in your plans x

Edited at 12:11 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
My mum and dad got married on NYE 1969 as they wanted to get married in the 60’s. As a family it’s always been a lovely way to spend NYE as it’s a double celebration and for us, more of a reason to celebrate.

Funnily enough as it was mum and dads 50th wedding anniversary last New Year we went to Tenerife as a family of 10. It was great! In those heady days of pre-covid.

So, if you don’t mind it being cold I’d recommend it.

Kat
Thanks Kat! That's lovely and I like the idea of it being a double celebration with the family.

I don't have an issue with the cold, Christmas is our favourite time of the year - if we don't get married on NYE we will certainly have a December wedding so we are prepared for the cold!

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i've DJed a couple of NYE weddings, and while theyve been fun, there were comments about how a bunch of the guests didnt come because they had other plans or couldnt get babysitters

also, i dont know about other DJs, but i charge double my normal fee for NYE. personally, i prefer not working it (we usually go to a friends house along with a bunch of others), so if i'm going to do it, i want it to really be worth my while

don't want to pee on your chips, but NYE is already one of the biggest party dates of the year, why would you want to compete with all that?
Hi Wayne. Don't worry, you are not peeing on my chips! I don't really see is as a competition, as Kat mentioned above I just think the idea of a double celebration is nice.

In terms of price, we have considered that the 'extras' are likely to be more expensive. We actually have a bit of wiggle room in our budget as the venue we like charges NO extra for a NYE wedding, which we couldn't believe (we have been quote more than double the normal price at some venues). We have also already found a photographer that we like who charges standard Saturday rate. But we certainly expect to pay extra for entertainment!

It is interesting to see how different people perceive NYE and how their experiences have shaped their expectations. You obviously see it as important family, party-time, whereas we always feel that NYE is a bit of an anti-climax!

Much to consider though, thanks.

Edited at 10:42 AM.
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My auntie and uncle got married on NYE and the costs increased because of the date, e.g florist, transport, DJ. It was really nice but because of the time of year a few important family members were ill with seasonal colds/flu and some people struggled to find a baby sitter.
The actual wedding was magical, it was a cold frosty day so the photos were beautiful. I suppose our weather could out some people off travelling if it was icy/snowing though?
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lilly3580 View Post
My auntie and uncle got married on NYE and the costs increased because of the date, e.g florist, transport, DJ. It was really nice but because of the time of year a few important family members were ill with seasonal colds/flu and some people struggled to find a baby sitter.
The actual wedding was magical, it was a cold frosty day so the photos were beautiful. I suppose our weather could out some people off travelling if it was icy/snowing though?
Hi Lilly, thanks for your response!

I agree that the practicalities need a lot of consideration! In terms of florist I am thinking we will actually go with Silk flowers. Not traditional I know, but we can have them prepared weeks (even months) in advance and transport them to the venue ourselves. Then we can keep them for around the home or hand them out to guests as a keepsake. I know fresh flowers are a MUST for some couples but flowers really aren't a deal-breaker for me.

You are right about babysitters - the more I think about it the more I think we will have to invite children.