Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jun 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Tassiriki
Helping Minnie

Mobile

I would love to be a guest at a NYE wedding. We like spending time reflecting together so never go out normally but a wedding is so special. As others have said, childcare may be an issue for us (it always is as we don’t have family nearby though).

We have been to an early January wedding before and it was beautiful. Sunny but cold. Brilliant to have such an event in the usual slump of the first fortnight of January. The couple gave everyone about 18 months notice so it was easier to budget for it after an expensive time of year.

Good luck!
Tassiriki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tassiriki View Post
I would love to be a guest at a NYE wedding. We like spending time reflecting together so never go out normally but a wedding is so special. As others have said, childcare may be an issue for us (it always is as we don’t have family nearby though).

We have been to an early January wedding before and it was beautiful. Sunny but cold. Brilliant to have such an event in the usual slump of the first fortnight of January. The couple gave everyone about 18 months notice so it was easier to budget for it after an expensive time of year.

Good luck!
Thanks Tassiriki! I do picture it being very special. I think winter is a beautiful time of the year and the venue we have chosen is a very rustic barn with on-site log cabins, which I think is perfect for a winter wedding!
TigerLily8 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We went to a friends wedding on NYE a few years ago. It was one of the loveliest weddings we have been to. We all stayed in the hotel. We would never go anywhere on NYE usually. I think the practicalities would need to be considered like availability of venues, music etc and also if children are to be invited as otherwise it may be awkward for parents.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Close friends or family I’d go , acquaintances/work friends , probably not.
If it was me and I had friends with kids I’d consider if I could offer childcare in some form or another as NYE babysitting is often hard to get and horrendously expensive which might lead to some refusals.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

We don’t celebrate NYE, and I am often working. But if I was off I would enjoy it for a change.
However we only discussed this a few days ago at work. The general consensus was that weddings on major dates like Christmas Eve/Boxing Day, NYE/day were not well received. Mainly as it limits them on where/when they go elsewhere over the holidays.
I personally wouldn’t do it as would worry people felt they had to come but would rather be at home/doing their usual traditions, but that’s my social anxiety.
The other issue of course is cost to guests as if hotels/taxis/babysitter needed its a lot more expensive. As well as so close to Christmas when some struggle financially anyway.
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I would love to go to a wedding on NYE as we don't really celebrate it so it would be great to do something like that. I think a Dibber had a NYE wedding... skalexander, I think. Someone please correct me if I have got the wrong Dibber!
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

We've been to 2 NYE weddings, one was 5 years ago and was at an art gallery and they provided a bus services to/from the local hotel where we all stayed at and worked really well.

The second was last year when they rented out a stately home for 2 days (everyone paid a bit towards a room) and there was a church on site, it was absolutely fabulous.

We wouldn't hesitate accepting another on NYW so much easier than having to try and plan a night out somewhere.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
We went to a friends wedding on NYE a few years ago. It was one of the loveliest weddings we have been to. We all stayed in the hotel. We would never go anywhere on NYE usually. I think the practicalities would need to be considered like availability of venues, music etc and also if children are to be invited as otherwise it may be awkward for parents.
Totally agree about the practicalities but it's very nice to hear that you enjoyed the day!

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Close friends or family I’d go , acquaintances/work friends , probably not.
If it was me and I had friends with kids I’d consider if I could offer childcare in some form or another as NYE babysitting is often hard to get and horrendously expensive which might lead to some refusals.
Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
We don’t celebrate NYE, and I am often working. But if I was off I would enjoy it for a change.
However we only discussed this a few days ago at work. The general consensus was that weddings on major dates like Christmas Eve/Boxing Day, NYE/day were not well received. Mainly as it limits them on where/when they go elsewhere over the holidays.
I personally wouldn’t do it as would worry people felt they had to come but would rather be at home/doing their usual traditions, but that’s my social anxiety.
The other issue of course is cost to guests as if hotels/taxis/babysitter needed its a lot more expensive. As well as so close to Christmas when some struggle financially anyway.

I'm surprised that NYE wasn't well received tbh! I completely understand the complexities of having a wedding on Christmas Eve/Boxing Day. Personally we would never do it!

Understand the anxieties but personally I am of the mindset that if someone feels they have to go to your wedding as opposed to really wanting to go, then they shouldn't be there in the first place, regardless of the date. I've never been to a wedding (full day) that I didn't really want to be at!

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I would love to go to a wedding on NYE as we don't really celebrate it so it would be great to do something like that. I think a Dibber had a NYE wedding... skalexander, I think. Someone please correct me if I have got the wrong Dibber!
Fabulous, thank you! Maybe I will have to message skalexander for some advice

Originally Posted by MrsEgg View Post
We've been to 2 NYE weddings, one was 5 years ago and was at an art gallery and they provided a bus services to/from the local hotel where we all stayed at and worked really well.

The second was last year when they rented out a stately home for 2 days (everyone paid a bit towards a room) and there was a church on site, it was absolutely fabulous.

We wouldn't hesitate accepting another on NYW so much easier than having to try and plan a night out somewhere.
Thanks MrsEgg, that's really good to hear. We would definitely do something similar - the premier inn we have singled out is the biggest hotel in the area by a mile (128 rooms in total), so we would block out a chunk of the rooms and put on a coach/bus/minibus so that people didn't have to worry about transport on the day.
TigerLily8 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
bex85chelt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I would check you can book out rooms and whether the premier inn already has another arrangement with somewhere doing a nye do etc.

I like the idea - you will always have some guests who dont agree / dont like things you've chosen so it's about balancing practical things to make people comfortable and make sure those essential guests can go whilst doing what you want as well.

Remember some people would not want to bring their kids so even if you invited them you may get drop outs due to childcare, evening guests mainly I'd think.

If it was a work person I wasnt that close to / only one of us knew them we might not go, again evening only peeps.

How much are drinks at the venue? I think this is important generally as it can work out so expensive but especially at that time of year.

There the only things I can think of, we had a November wedding and loved the more winter feel and people seemed to like that it was a bit different, best of luck
bex85chelt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by bex85chelt View Post
I would check you can book out rooms and whether the premier inn already has another arrangement with somewhere doing a nye do etc.

I like the idea - you will always have some guests who dont agree / dont like things you've chosen so it's about balancing practical things to make people comfortable and make sure those essential guests can go whilst doing what you want as well.

Remember some people would not want to bring their kids so even if you invited them you may get drop outs due to childcare, evening guests mainly I'd think.

If it was a work person I wasnt that close to / only one of us knew them we might not go, again evening only peeps.

How much are drinks at the venue? I think this is important generally as it can work out so expensive but especially at that time of year.

There the only things I can think of, we had a November wedding and loved the more winter feel and people seemed to like that it was a bit different, best of luck
That's a very good point - until now I have assumed the Premier Inn will just be available but haven't check if they have any prior arrangements - thanks for that! Will get onto them ASAP.

I completely agree with not pleasing everyone! Our aim really is to take care of our guest as much as possible, with close friends and family at the forefront of our minds.

Drink prices are basically just above average for our area (£3.50 - £4 a pint). A little more than we would pay at home, but imo not extortionate for a wedding. Our hope is that we would provide enough drinks to keep day guests going so they wouldn't have to pay out of pocket during the day.

Thanks for taking the time to reply