Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jun 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
It was the same price as a Saturday for the hotel package, which included the DJ as well as the usual stuff. Everything else was the usual price - cars, photo booth, church, photographer, hair/make up, suits etc. We couldn’t have our first choice cake maker, as she closes over Christmas and New Year, but our second choice was amazing.

We planned everything a long time in advance to give people time to prepare financially, book time off and keep the date free. We put save the dates in with our Christmas cards the year before, but close family and friends knew the date probably 6 to 9 months before that.
Fab, thanks for the info! That's a brilliant idea regarding save the dates. If we do for for NYE I absolutely would like to give people 12 month's notice to give them time to get sorted.
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TigerLily8 View Post
Getting catering included is a huge bonus! When are you getting married? Is the planning going well?
It was going well until coronavirus! We were due to get married on the 7th May this year, it got moved to 17th September and now it’s 6th May 2021!

But other than that, yeah it’s going okay. Found the guest list nearly ended in divorce before we even got down the aisle 😂😂. I found bridesmaid dresses really tricky, and one of them the stitching has come away so I ordered a new one, and because it was made at a different time, they’re now different colours 🤦🏻

Other than that and this stupid virus though - all is going well!

Are you looking to get married NYE this year?
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
becky2203
Imagineer

becky2203's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by TigerLily8 View Post
Thanks for your reply Becky. It's interesting to hear that point of view. I guess if you couldn't stay away from your pets then any wedding that is not in driving distance would be out of the question, regardless of whether it was NYE?

We have no plans to get married near our home town to be quite honest. The options around us are very very limited, especially with our numbers, so unless guests wanted to drive they would more than likely have to stay over. Because of this we are still considering alternative dates to NYE as I know finding pet/childcare may be tricky.
No, we could stay overnight on other nights because we have family who would be able to look after them. People generally are less available to help with things like that on NYE, and we feel it would be an imposition to ask. Plus there are always fireworks on NYE where we live, so we prefer to be there when the animals get scared.

Having said that, at the end of the day it's your wedding so you should do it when you want to! We went abroad for ours to avoid all these issues
becky2203 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
It was going well until coronavirus! We were due to get married on the 7th May this year, it got moved to 17th September and now it’s 6th May 2021!

But other than that, yeah it’s going okay. Found the guest list nearly ended in divorce before we even got down the aisle 😂😂. I found bridesmaid dresses really tricky, and one of them the stitching has come away so I ordered a new one, and because it was made at a different time, they’re now different colours 🤦🏻

Other than that and this stupid virus though - all is going well!

Are you looking to get married NYE this year?

Oh gosh, I'm really sorry to hear that! I hope that it has been relatively straightforward to move things back?

I too am worried about the guestlist! My FIL is one of 9 (!) which means that there are loads of cousins and kids and grandkids on my OH's side which is proving a bit of a nightmare. Some of them I have never even met!

No it would be NYE next year. We would even consider the year after... we are in no massive rush but having been together for 9 years now we just feel that it's the next step for us. At the beginning of lockdown we just decided it might be a good time to start gatherings quotes to make a decision! We have found that so many venues and suppliers are already chocka in 2021 because people like yourselves have unfortunately had to postpone for 12 months. I spoke to one photographer last week who already had 22 weekends booked up for 2022!

Originally Posted by becky2203 View Post
No, we could stay overnight on other nights because we have family who would be able to look after them. People generally are less available to help with things like that on NYE, and we feel it would be an imposition to ask. Plus there are always fireworks on NYE where we live, so we prefer to be there when the animals get scared.

Having said that, at the end of the day it's your wedding so you should do it when you want to! We went abroad for ours to avoid all these issues

Ah, I completely understand that! We definitely need to give it some thought as you are right that child/petcare is infinitely more difficult on NYE.

I LOVE the idea of a wedding abroad. Where did you choose? We toyed with the idea of going abroad and making a holiday out of it with our family and friends but unfortunately OH has grandparents who would be unable to travel so I think that's out of the question.

Last year we went to a family wedding in Spain and over 120 people flew out for it! It was mental.
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

I agree with Becky, our dog sitter has the festive period off, and any friends etc who we might have pulled a favour in with are usually celebrating something or other. Therefore we usually stay at home/local over the period.
We would prob come for a few hours, if we came to the evening we’d prob head back for the dog about 10. Whereas on a normal Saturday say I’d book the dog in, we’d stay in the premier inn and make a night of it.
Pre animals I’d have thought it was a cracking idea, but we have a young lab and horses and everything needs military planning, god help us if we have kids.
However from someone who got married reasonably recently, if it’s what you want to do, then do it. The people who really matter to you will make it work, it might help tone down your very large guest list if nothing else 😂
Old 9 Jun 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I think it's really lovely that you're considering the finer details that your guests may experience if you invited them to a wedding on NYE. But ultimately you're never going to please everyone, especially if your guest list is 150.

Plan the wedding that you and your partner want and if your guests individual circumstances mean that they can share the day with you then fantastic, if not, there should be no hard feelings on either side.

Oh, and I'd love to attend a wedding on NYE, especially if there were fireworks at midnight. I think fireworks may encourage people to stay until late.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Thankfully it has been easy to move everything, we’ve moved twice and not lost any suppliers which is fab. My FH is an only child, but with the most amount of cousins I’ve ever seen, and typically he’s close to all of them 🤦🏻

Yeah some of our suppliers are not accepting new bookings for 2021 as so many people have moved their wedding.

We were always planning on having our honeymoon next year rather than this year, so at least now everything will be in the same year! We need to think of a new honeymoon though as our finances have hugely changed because of the virus, our original plan is now definitely out of reach.

We started booking in 2018 for 2020 and we were turned down by some suppliers because they were already full! It’s crazy how much it all books up without a pandemic!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I think it's really lovely that you're considering the finer details that your guests may experience if you invited them to a wedding on NYE. But ultimately you're never going to please everyone, especially if your guest list is 150.

Plan the wedding that you and your partner want and if your guests individual circumstances mean that they can share the day with you then fantastic, if not, there should be no hard feelings on either side.

Oh, and I'd love to attend a wedding on NYE, especially if there were fireworks at midnight. I think fireworks may encourage people to stay until late.
Thanks Beth! It's definitely going to be a task trying to please everyone! I agree that if people genuinely cannot make it because of our choice of date then there should be no hard feelings. My dogs are my babies so I understand people's concerns. Fortunately the on-site log cabin accommodation is dog friendly so my dogs will be joining us for the weekend

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
Thankfully it has been easy to move everything, we’ve moved twice and not lost any suppliers which is fab. My FH is an only child, but with the most amount of cousins I’ve ever seen, and typically he’s close to all of them 🤦🏻

Yeah some of our suppliers are not accepting new bookings for 2021 as so many people have moved their wedding.

We were always planning on having our honeymoon next year rather than this year, so at least now everything will be in the same year! We need to think of a new honeymoon though as our finances have hugely changed because of the virus, our original plan is now definitely out of reach.

We started booking in 2018 for 2020 and we were turned down by some suppliers because they were already full! It’s crazy how much it all books up without a pandemic!
I'm glad that you have been able to re-arrange fairly easily. I imagine the current situation has caused so much heartbreak for many couples. Good luck with future planning and I really hope all goes to plan for you in May 2021