Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Nov 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Any Wild Swimmers ?

I live very close to the sea and usually swim May- September but this year I started up again at the end of October. I try to swim every day but its usually 5 days a week drop DD at school in the water for 0845 for 20 minutes. Shorts, goggles and hat. I swim with three other people the oldest 67 and the youngest mid 40's. We have about 10 people in the water on a weekday and up to 30 at a weekend and I can not describe the rush and how good I feel afterwards.

My wife bought me a Dry robe this week and that is a game changer.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

I’m too far from the sea unfortunately but did start going to my local lake to swim
It’s too cold for me to enjoy it at the moment unless I was to buy a full wetsuit like a lot of them wear
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I’m an open water swimmer
I live in the midlands so no where by the sea however I swim at a lake nearby - we meet weekly during the summer but it does tend to drop off in the colder months - I would like to go but my swim buddies are not keen

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We live quite near the Olympic White water rafting Centre and they have a lake for open water swimming. Not for me but quite a lot of my former colleagues swam there pre - lockdown.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I was surprised when I started again yes its cold but your body gets warm very quickly its your arms and legs that take 5-10 minutes. I now have a hat and sea goggles and they have made a massive difference. When i get in now I know its going to be cold but I know that I can deal with it and in a few minutes I will be in a happy place. I also find that after this I know that if I have swam for 20 minutes in 10c water with a strong current that everything else this day will be easier !
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Yes I have been open water swimming this year loved it, yes a dryrobe is a must our last swim was just before lockdown and our local place closed because of it, we are hoping to do the Boxing Day swim I am in a wetsuit though not brave enough to just go in in a swimsuit, it does make you feel amazing xx
Old 22 Nov 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'm not but do fancy trying it. We were away for a few days in the highlands a couple of weeks ago and DH went for a quick dip on the beach at the Silver Sands of Mhorar. It was literally a one minute dip, he was frozen I was going to do this but forgot my costume. We live near the sea, and have a few lochs but need to pluck up the courage. I'd need to wear some kind of shoe though, the thought of walking on duck poo or seaweed. Think this fear goes back to my childhood when I spent my summers in Pittenweem and in the outdoor pool which was by the sea and would fill in with the tide
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

My Sister does it and it lead to her representing GB in the Ice Swimming Team and then swimming The Channel back in summer 2016. She was targeting either a both way channel swim or an Irish Sea crossing next but that's on the back burner now in these tricky times. She still swims sans wetsuit several times a week though in the Sea down south.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I have some friends who are still swimming in the sea a few times a week as long as the conditions are ok. They wear hats to combat the cold, but go in in their swimming costumes. Nutters x

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
MarionG
Imagineer

We live by the Suffolk coast and went for a walk along the prom this afternoon. There were two people swimming in the sea. They had wetsuits on and I'm sure they needed them in the Northsea!
MarionG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List