Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Sep 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
lindasarahlou
slightly serious Dibber

We have taken our two (now adults!) a number of times to Florida over the years and there is no doubt it is a fantastic holiday but our really memorable holidays are the 2 big road trips we did with them, both theme park based, Toronto/Ohio and Washington to Orlando. It was always easier to organise a Florida holiday as we knew is suited everyone but I do now regret, a little, not being braver when they were younger and doing the West Coast. OH and I did a trip incorporating the west coast a couple of years ago and it is different but superb.
90 Orlando/Clearwater; 92 Orlando/Daytona,Ft Laud, Keys, Everglades, Naples/Clearwater 95 Cedar Point, Niagara, Orlando 02 (now with kids!) DLP Santa Fe 04 Lindfields 07 Doral Woods/Daytona 500; 07 Sanctuary Westhaven; 10 Calabay Parc; 13 Highlands Reserve 15 DC, Smokies Coasters Cumbrian Lakes 16 Toronto Cedar Point Niagara + coasters 17 Highlands Reserve 18 NY 18 Vegas & Canyons 19 West Stonebridge 23 California Coasters
lindasarahlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
scush
Proud to wear my Ears

We've done both, enjoyed them both! West coast for us now its just the two of us. so much to see and do, also very easy to keep driving on to the next state. Strangely we've never done that from Florida. The beaches in Florida are by far my fav's tho. As lots of folks, we should be there now.
scush is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Have been lucky to visit both areas over the last 25 years but two completely different types of holiday.

So much to see and do on the West Coast but lots of mileage involved. Family given the choice would do California again, I also prefer the non humid climate. Downside for me is the 11hr flights, I find it harder as I get older to cope with them and of course the jetlag. I don't drive in the US, but last trip OH found the driving too much so not sure if or when we'll go back.

Florida is a shorter flight and I love the Parks! We're now DVC members so in theory, when we retire, we can see and do more there ...
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’ve been to 26 states and will always go back to Florida. Off to both Florida and separately West Coast and New Orleans,
I think Florida takes some beating, there’s a lot more to it than Orlando though, even though I love Orlando too.
I also like stopping in Disney hotels as much as I love hiking up Zion, or visiting Houston, or driving through Mojave, it’s just different,

Edited at 09:19 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

My family and I loved the west coast and much prefer it to Florida. We have been to Florida 5 times with 4 children of varying ages the youngest we have taken one was 3. Only the younger two went to California with us they were 14 and 17 at the time (the 17 year old had also been with school and was very keen to go back). I would say California is more expensive than Florida though.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thank you all for your input! Lots of food for thought! I sat down yesterday and worked out what we would want to do etc, flights are reasonably priced for next summer (using as a guide for 22 but obv could be well out!) but the accommodation is so expensive 😬 The battle we have is with a 16 year old girl and 14 year old boy, we need a bit of extra space and anywhere with extra space is mega bucks! There are w few lively houses to rent in Anaheim in good areas but 4 nights there could get us 2 weeks in a 4 bed villa in Florida, which is why my dh is very much against California, he doesn’t want us all in one room for 18 days...the budget has to end somewhere 🤷🏻 Plenty of time to think and great to get others opinions. I want to go everywhere, but don’t have unlimited funds lol

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’ve been to 26 states and will always go back to Florida. Off to both Florida and separately West Coast and New Orleans,
I think Florida takes some beating, there’s a lot more to it than Orlando though, even though I love Orlando too.
I also like stopping in Disney hotels as much as I love hiking up Zion, or visiting Houston, or driving through Mojave, it’s just different,
This is the thing, whenever I look at elsewhere, Florida is always back on the table! Not even for the parks, we live the space of the villas, the beaches, shopping, wildlife, choice of food etc. We love the whole state. I’ve been to California before, San Fran years ago when I was 21, dh visited San Diego when in the military, both done NYC and was we want to see more, but, Florida always always ends up at the forefront!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I've done something like 25-30 trips to Florida, so I clearly love the place.

Our Summer Florida trips tend to be for three weeks, or a touch longer, and include a combo of some of the following elements:

- 10-14 nights on-site at WDW just doing the Disney parks, typically staying at the Beach Club, Old Key West or the Wilderness Lodge.
- 4-5 nights on-site at Universal to do the Universal parks, typically staying at the Hard Rock, although we have stayed at the Royal Pacific.
- A Disney cruise.
- A week or so in a house-with-pool to chill out.

We took our first trip to the West Coast a couple of years ago, covering San Francisco, Pacific Coast Highway (and the likes of Monterrey, Solvang and Santa Barbara), Hollywood area sights and Disneyland (staying at the Disneyland Hotel) over three weeks, and it was fantastic.

We didn't get round to booking our Summer 2020 holiday as we couldn't decide between Florida and the West Coast and whilst we were still mulling where to go, the world changed.

We certainly feel as though we have a lot of unfinished business on the West Coast, such as heading down to San Diego, seeing some of the many sights and national parks away from the coast, spending some more time at Disneyland and drinking more cocktails at Trader Sam's!

For us, they are different kinds of holiday. Although we've seen many parts of Florida, we do tend to focus on Orlando and as I wrote above we tend to stay put for periods of time. On our California trip we were on the move a fair, as most people are. We didn't mind that at all - it didn't prove to be as hassle-y as I expected it to be - but it is different.

Thinking ahead to 2021, we've got the same Florida v West Coast dilemma - it's a nice problem to have though, right?!?

Part One
Part Two

Edited at 11:52 AM.
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
Thank you all for your input! Lots of food for thought! I sat down yesterday and worked out what we would want to do etc, flights are reasonably priced for next summer (using as a guide for 22 but obv could be well out!) but the accommodation is so expensive 😬 The battle we have is with a 16 year old girl and 14 year old boy, we need a bit of extra space and anywhere with extra space is mega bucks! There are w few lively houses to rent in Anaheim in good areas but 4 nights there could get us 2 weeks in a 4 bed villa in Florida, which is why my dh is very much against California, he doesn’t want us all in one room for 18 days...the budget has to end somewhere 🤷🏻 Plenty of time to think and great to get others opinions. I want to go everywhere, but don’t have unlimited funds lol
From what you've said I'd maybe continue with Florida until there is just the two of you .You can also have different experiences there eg state parks,beaches so it doesn't feel too samey .
Old 14 Sep 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Florida- many things to see. Try the Panhandle around the Fort Walton area- now a trendy area to visit and extremely nice. Great road trips up to the Georgia coast and higher- Hilton Head, Savannah etc can all be done as road trips flying into Florida.