Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 3 Oct 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Just a little over 24 hours in NY

When ( 🤞🏻 ) we fly to Orlando next summer, we have two nights in New York. We land at 4pm (Friday) and leave for Orlando at 8am Sunday so not much time but hoping enough to get some of the main attractions done.

It’s a trip (surprise stop over) mainly for my New York obsessed DS who will be 12 by then. He loves the tv show Friends so we will have to have a look at Greenwich village. He also wants to visit the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty (which I know the queues are horrendous for).

Does anyone have any top tips about how to get the most out of our very short stay? Or can point me in the direction of a good 24 hour itinerary/trip report?

Was thinking of going up the Empire State Building in the evening that we land and then visiting Times Square the same evening. Getting up early to get to Statue of Liberty, and that is as far as my initial ideas go.😅 Last time we were in New York, I was 11 weeks pregnant with said DS and wasn’t all that well. We got one of the open top buses and used it a lot to travel around so thinking of doing the same this time. 🤔

Suggestions of places to eat for breakfast and dinner would be great too. We are staying at the Hilton New York Midtown.

I’m trying not to get too excited as there’s a good chance we won’t get to go anywhere but at the same time, it’s good to have something to plan.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. 🥰
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Really hope you get there.
We love NY. We did a gossip girl tour (I’m sure the same comp does a friends one) and it was fab you get to see the sights of the tv series but you see other NY sights en route.
Going up Empire State on the first night is a good idea as you don't have much time - we timed it so we were up there at sunset so got to see everywhere in the light/dark.
Have fun
Old 3 Oct 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We did this a few years ago. The kids loved it!

We were out of the airport very quickly so we got to the hotel by about 2pm. Dropped our bags and went for a walk. We went to Ellen’s Stardust cafe for lunch and then walked Times Square and soaked in the sights.

On the full day we were up early, and went straight up the Empire State Building. Then Macy’s and and then got a subway down to the Wall Street area and saw the twin towers memorial and went down to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty. We had planned on a ferry past it but we decided we were happy to have seen it from the park.

We got the subway back up to our hotel and had a rest, then we had tickets for Aladdin in the evening. We walked through Central Park before Aladdin.

We had time on our final morning to visit Chelsea Market and the High Line.

We could have done more on the full day if we hadn’t had a rest before the theatre.

Trip report here bevs97.wordpress/2017/07...the-big-apple/

For such a short visit we felt like we saw a lot. I would use the subway to travel rather than the open top bus. As they move slowly. Although if you want to just see the city go by they are good for that. But not to get anywhere.

Other than Ellen’s we didn’t eat anywhere significant. Breakfast in a diner by our hotel. McDonalds. Takeout from a sandwich place which we ate in battery park.

Edited at 02:52 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
Really hope you get there.
We love NY. We did a gossip girl tour (I’m sure the same comp does a friends one) and it was fab you get to see the sights of the tv series but you see other NY sights en route.
Going up Empire State on the first night is a good idea as you don't have much time - we timed it so we were up there at sunset so got to see everywhere in the light/dark.
Have fun
I’ll have a look and see if there’s a friends tour. Thanks for the tip.👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We did this a few years ago. The kids loved it!

We were out of the airport very quickly so we got to the hotel by about 2pm. Dropped our bags and went for a walk. We went to Ellen’s Stardust cafe for lunch and then walked Times Square and soaked in the sights.

On the full day we were up early, and went straight up the Empire State Building. Then Macy’s and and then got a subway down to the Wall Street area and saw the twin towers memorial and went down to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty. We had planned on a ferry past it but we decided we were happy to have seen it from the park.

We got the subway back up to our hotel and had a rest, then we had tickets for Aladdin in the evening. We walked through Central Park before Aladdin.

We had time on our final morning to visit Chelsea Market and the High Line.

We could have done more on the full day if we hadn’t had a rest before the theatre.

Trip report here bevs97.wordpress/2017/07...the-big-apple/

For such a short visit we felt like we saw a lot. I would use the subway to travel rather than the open top bus. As they move slowly. Although if you want to just see the city go by they are good for that. But not to get anywhere.

Other than Ellen’s we didn’t eat anywhere significant. Breakfast in a diner by our hotel. McDonalds. Takeout from a sandwich place which we ate in battery park.
I’ve been having a look and I think we might have to do the same with regards the Statue Of Liberty as the suggested time is a good few hours which is a massive chunk of time when you don’t have long.

I would love to see Aladdin- not sure the boys would but it’s my favourite Disney movie. Can’t currently book tickets but will keep an eye on the website.

Thanks for the help.
Old 3 Oct 20, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Going against the tide a bit , we prefer Top of the Rock to the Empire State , mainly because it’s warmer and the view includes the ESB on the Skyline .
I loved Ellen’s, the food is a bit blah but you don’t go for the food.

Edited at 03:08 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Is going up SoL a must, if so you need to book tickets well in advance.

The alternative is to get the free Staten Island ferry which goes right past it so you get a really good view. If you are quick you can jump off the ferry at the other end and straight back taking less than an hour for the full loop. You also get to see the Brooklyn Bridge as well as the infamous skyline of Manhattan.

Near the ferry port is the twin towers memorial and museum if you want to go and see it.

As for the empire state building, again do you want to go up there or be able to see it from a height in the skyline. Top of the Rock is often better to go up as you get to see the skyline better including ESB. It is also just around the corner from Times Square.

As Friends fans you will also want to go and see the fountain in Central Park.

Pity you don't have a bit more time, our DD's favourite part at that age was going out to Coney Island and riding the wooden Cyclone roller coaster.

The High Line, Grand Central Station, The Library, Macy's.

Completely agree with avoiding the very slow open top bus and walking or subway.

You can get a lot done in New York in a day and a couple of evenings.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Going against the tide a bit , we prefer Top of the Rock to the Empire State , mainly because it’s warmer and the view includes the ESB on the Skyline .
I loved Ellen’s, the food is a bit blah but you don’t go for the food.
I’ve been to both and agree but think DS would prefer to go up the Empire State Building. 😊
Old 3 Oct 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Is going up SoL a must, if so you need to book tickets well in advance.

The alternative is to get the free Staten Island ferry which goes right past it so you get a really good view. If you are quick you can jump off the ferry at the other end and straight back taking less than an hour for the full loop. You also get to see the Brooklyn Bridge as well as the infamous skyline of Manhattan.

Near the ferry port is the twin towers memorial and museum if you want to go and see it.

As for the empire state building, again do you want to go up there or be able to see it from a height in the skyline. Top of the Rock is often better to go up as you get to see the skyline better including ESB. It is also just around the corner from Times Square.

As Friends fans you will also want to go and see the fountain in Central Park.

Pity you don't have a bit more time, our DD's favourite part at that age was going out to Coney Island and riding the wooden Cyclone roller coaster.

The High Line, Grand Central Station, The Library, Macy's.

Completely agree with avoiding the very slow open top bus and walking or subway.

You can get a lot done in New York in a day and a couple of evenings.
Thank you. When we went last time to New York we did a ferry that went past and I think that’s what we’ll do again. I think it will take too long to go to it.

Good shout about the subway. I’ll have to look into tickets.

It is a shame we don’t have slightly longer but we have a hotel already booked in Orlando (that I’d rearranged from what was supposed to be this years trip) so tied to the dates.
Plus if we don’t see everything- it’s the perfect excuse to go back.😂
Old 3 Oct 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Another vote for Ellen's, especially if you don't get to a show. We've been 3 times and always love it. Definitely just get the free Staten Island ferry to see SOL. Try use the subway, it's so quick. We visited Washington Square park and walked to the Friend's apartment building from there (if you don't have time for a tour). I'd recommend ESB for an evening/night visit and TOTR for a daytime visit depending on how you fit your schedule.

It will be quick but it will be fun
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List