Around 15% 224 27.69%
Around 18% 252 31.15%
Around 20% 245 30.28%
Around 25% 4 0.49%
Voters: 809. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 Sep 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Yes, I agree but some people have stated asking about where are you staying etc etc = small talk = excellent service. NO, like you not for me
Im an another that would be highly irritated if I kept being asked where I am staying and what parks I have been to. No small talk for me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Tut tut not like you to make a mistake YT!
And and by the way it’s Busch Gardens - your countdown needs changing 🤣
Ha ha thanks Colette. My posts are riddled with typos and other mistakes as I jump on for a few mins, bang something out on the phone where I hit the wrong keys, always autocorrect issues etc, and I always press submit without reading it first, then go back and edit if I have time to check it, that's why many of my posts have edit on. I'm terrible at typing on a phone.
Old 5 Sep 18, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Ha ha thanks Colette. My posts are riddled with typos and other mistakes as I jump on for a few mins, bang something out on the phone where I hit the wrong keys, always autocorrect issues etc, and I always press submit without reading it first, then go back and edit if I have time to check it, that's why many of my posts have edit on. I'm terrible at typing on a phone.
I thought it was unlike you, you are usually so articulate and precise! It was lighthearted as I am the worst for typing rubbish, my finger moves faster than my brain. Gold star ⭐️ , I’ll put my red pen away now
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
In almost 30 years of going to Florida it is not very often we've had 'excellent' service. Some people might consider it 'excellent' if they get a drinks refill or two, which is just frankly the basics of what a server is paid to do, or even small talk from the server such as asking what parks we've been to and telling us how good pandora is at AK isn't 'excellent' in my book and doesn't increase the tip from me.

Okay is just the average/normal standard of service I usually get in a restaurant in Florida.
Clearly, what someone considers "excellent" is very subjective. Different people appreciate different things.

I only mentioned it because nearly ever guide on tipping says something like the following: "If you receive exceptional service then show your appreciation with a larger tip". Which implies that sometimes people do receive excellent/exceptional service. Most discussions I've seen imply that service can vary - sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes average. And if someone tips 20% for "average/normal" service then I assume they tip more than 20% for "better than average" service.

For me, "okay" service means taking my order, getting my order correct, bringing me my food and drinks in a timely manner, taking away empty plates, bringing the bill when requested, that sort of thing. Basically, the minimum required to do the job whilst also being reasonably pleasant whilst doing it. I get to eat my meal without any fuss, it's an okay experience, but the interaction with the server is instantly forgettable (not good and not bad).

"Good/excellent" service would mean the server being friendly and helpful, making suggestions when/if required, being attentive to any queries, being apologetic if food is taking longer than expected or it's busy or loud in the restaurant, doing something extra to make the meal a more pleasant one such as making us smile, entertaining my child, generally looking after us but without being too friendly. That sort of thing. I get to eat my meal, I enjoy the experience, and I remember the server (in a good way).

Most service is "okay". I have had some "excellent" service too. Both in the UK and the USA.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Clearly, what someone considers "excellent" is very subjective. Different people appreciate different things.

I only mentioned it because nearly ever guide on tipping says something like the following: "If you receive exceptional service then show your appreciation with a larger tip". Which implies that sometimes people do receive excellent/exceptional service. Most discussions I've seen imply that service can vary - sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes average. And if someone tips 20% for "average/normal" service then I assume they tip more than 20% for "better than average" service.

For me, "okay" service means taking my order, getting my order correct, bringing me my food and drinks in a timely manner, taking away empty plates, bringing the bill when requested, that sort of thing. Basically, the minimum required to do the job whilst also being reasonably pleasant whilst doing it. I get to eat my meal without any fuss, it's an okay experience, but the interaction with the server is instantly forgettable (not good and not bad).

"Good/excellent" service would mean the server being friendly and helpful, making suggestions when/if required, being attentive to any queries, being apologetic if food is taking longer than expected or it's busy or loud in the restaurant, doing something extra to make the meal a more pleasant one such as making us smile, entertaining my child, generally looking after us but without being too friendly. That sort of thing. I get to eat my meal, I enjoy the experience, and I remember the server (in a good way).

Most service is "okay". I have had some "excellent" service too. Both in the UK and the USA.
I am honestly not trying to have the last word because I believe you have hit the nail on the head with regards what people consider to be good/excellent service, because I might be at fault for thinking okay/normal service is in fact good/excellent:

I would describe the following as okay/normal service that I expect which you consider to be good/excellent:

- The server being friendly and helpful is okay/normal to me (If they were unfriendly or unhelpful that would be poor service)

- making suggestions about the food on the menu and being attentive is surely just normal/okay service (not answering a question about something on the menu or not being attentive is poor service).

- if the food is delayed, I would consider it normal/okay service for them to make me aware of it (to not inform me of this fact is poor service).

I am unsure that if they made me smile that I would consider that good/excellent service (I tend to smile more out of politeness when a server actually tries to make smile than actually wanting to smile).

Perhaps if they entertained my unhappy child by singing them a song or doing a dance routine and cheering them up, then I might consider that to be good/excellent service.

My experience is that most servers aren't genuinely interested in what parks we've been too and where abouts in the UK we are from (it's mainly small talk).

So maybe I have been tipping for okay/normal service when it should be good/excellent.

Edited at 08:09 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I am honestly not trying to have the last word because I believe you have hit the nail on the head with regards what people consider to be good/excellent service, because I might be at fault for thinking okay/normal service is in fact good/excellent:

I would describe the following as okay/normal service that I expect which you consider to be good/excellent:

- The server being friendly and helpful is okay/normal to me (If they were unfriendly or unhelpful that would be poor service)

- making suggestions about the food on the menu and being attentive is surely just normal/okay service

- if the food is delayed, I would consider it normal/okay service for them to make me aware of that fact (to not inform me of this fact is poor service).

I am unsure that if they made me smile that I would consider that good/excellent service (I tend to smile more out of politeness when a server actually tries to make smile than actually wanting to smile).

Perhaps if they entertained my unhappy child by singing them a song or doing a dance routine and cheering them up, then I might consider that to be good/excellent service.

My experience is that most servers aren't genuinely interested in what parks we've been too and where abouts in the UK we are from (it's mainly small talk).

So maybe I have been tipping for okay/normal service when it should be good/excellent.
You CANNOT have the last word
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

- making suggestions about the food on the menu and being attentive is surely just normal/okay service (not answering a question about something on the menu or not being attentive is poor service).

- if the food is delayed, I would consider it normal/okay service for them to make me aware of it (to not inform me of this fact is poor service).

Off topic, sorry, but small talk about where you are from is not interesting to servers, or the general public. I find most Americans aren’t interested in where you are from, if it’s outside America.
Once I was in Virginia, but I had a hire car with Nevada plates. I was in this little store in the Blue Ridge Mountains and this guy came running up to me.
‘Wow, you from Nevada?’ He said with a big smile on his face.
‘Nah, that’s just a hire car, I’m from U.K.’ I replied.
‘Oh’ he said looking dejected. He turned around and walked off.
No interest whatsoever I find for many, there are some exceptions.
One American, seemingly educated, from NYC once asked me if U.K. was near Australia. I couldn’t believe it.
Old 5 Sep 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Off topic, sorry, but small talk about where you are from is not interesting to servers, or the general public. I find most Americans aren’t interested in where you are from, if it’s outside America.
Once I was in Virginia, but I had a hire car with Nevada plates. I was in this little store in the Blue Ridge Mountains and this guy came running up to me.
‘Wow, you from Nevada?’ He said with a big smile on his face.
‘Nah, that’s just a hire car, I’m from U.K.’ I replied.
‘Oh’ he said looking dejected. He turned around and walked off
Given that Nevada is so far from Virginia he probably hoped you were from the same state as him and was delighted to see you. When it turned out you weren't he probably didn't care where you were from

No interest whatsoever I find for many, there are some exceptions.
One American, seemingly educated, from NYC once asked me if U.K. was near Australia. I couldn’t believe it.
Funny considering almost, if not all, the entire USA is closer to Australia than UK. Then again I was once asked what part of Russia Ireland was in

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Well I don't know how you all talk but I must be the only person with a London accent as I am always being asked where I am from by servers and when I say near London most of them say they want to visit London.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
No server can understand me. My Wife says I sound like a Labrador with laryngitis

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List