Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 16 Aug 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Aspergers and medical appointments

Hi there guys,I am hoping you can offer some advice regarding DS and medical appointments.
DS who is 17 and has aspergers has had a doctors appointment this week for a medical problem on his down below bits Now I always arrange everything for him, doctors, dentist etc and I did do for this appointment. However this time, they insisted on having DS phone number to send him confirmation of appointments etc. I explained that DS was hopeless with important stuff due to his aspergers but they insisted. So it came to the day of the appointment, rushed home from work but when we arrived at the doctors I was told that the appointment had been cancelled And DS had received a text message about this but he hadn't bothered to read it .
So anyway the appointment was rearranged and all ok but it highlighted an issue that I'd not given much thought about until now. DS cannot arrange his own appointments, at the doctors he doesn't take in important information and he certainly does not inform me of important information, whether it be doctors, college or anything really.
It's not that I want to take over his life but we are all, even DS, acutely aware of the problems we face as DS is becoming an adult and ultimately in charge of his own decisions etc but I feel that he needs extra support. I think some medical professionals don't understand that problems DS faces as he is quite articulate but how, as parents,do we go about this?
Sorry for waffling but do we need a power of attorney type things, or is there something else for adults with special needs so they are able to have a representative and help with this sort of thing?
Any help is much appreciated, as I am starting to panic about it now
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
amberdane
Proud to wear my Ears

I have a dental practice and due to GDPR we can not discuss anything with a parent of an over 16 year old without their consent, and indeed anything about anyone whether spouse or partner. This as you can understand has created huge problems. We have spouses who pay for the other spouse, parents who book their adult children's appointments and still pay for them etc. We now have a form that patients can sign to say who they are happy knowing what, whether financial, appointments, treatment etc. I would advise you get your son to write a letter to these places (doctor, dentist etc) outlining his consent for you to make his appointments, discuss his treatment, act financially for him and for this to be noted on his records until any point when he may want to withdraw his consent. If he is deemed unable to give informed consent for himself then a power of attorney would be required.

Edited at 11:40 PM.
amberdane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated. I'll definitely start with the letters and see how we go from there x
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Have a look to see if there is an advocacy service in your area, we have one for adults/young people with special needs, they can provide alot of support in all sorts of areas, finances and additional help etc.
Old 17 Aug 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Have a look to see if there is an advocacy service in your area, we have one for adults/young people with special needs, they can provide alot of support in all sorts of areas, finances and additional help etc.
Oooh that would be useful, thanks, I'll look into that. We are also members of the Autistic Society so might try them too x
Old 21 Aug 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Hi, just seen your post. My Ds is 23 and has Aspergers, I signed a consent form along with him at doctors so I could deal with appointments etc. I’m also his appointee for dealing with his Pip and Universal Credit (someone came out to house to fill in forms to put this in place).

My Ds struggles with forms and taking in information so I deal with them alongside him, making sure he understands. I also make telephone calls on his behalf as this is something he really struggles with.
Old 21 Aug 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tillyjcm View Post
Hi, just seen your post. My Ds is 23 and has Aspergers, I signed a consent form along with him at doctors so I could deal with appointments etc. I’m also his appointee for dealing with his Pip and Universal Credit (someone came out to house to fill in forms to put this in place).

My Ds struggles with forms and taking in information so I deal with them alongside him, making sure he understands. I also make telephone calls on his behalf as this is something he really struggles with.
Thank you, I think I will call at the doctors next week and set this up. I mentioned this at our GP's a while ago as they wouldn't give me a password to order his medication online, but I was allowed to order it on his behalf by phone (presumably because online there is also access to his medical notes). I think the receptionist said that we would have to discuss with a doctor first. I need to get organised with this I think, sooner rather than later x
Old 2 Oct 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyGoLucky
Imagineer

Mobile

Register with the practice as his carer and then you will be allowed to do these things on his behalf .
Old 2 Oct 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Register with the practice as his carer and then you will be allowed to do these things on his behalf .
Thank you for your reply, I must get this sorted, been so busy at work and everything else, but that seems an easy way to sort this out so I will call in next week