Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 30 Aug 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sherrar View Post
Really looking forward to this report. I too volunteer for local CAB. We are going to Vietnam next March. Also a few days in Cambodia. Would be interested in your experiences getting your visas. Can't wait to hear what you thought of the food - I am quite adventurous with food but not sure how I will be over there.
I do hope our report helps you for your trip. As Georgia is heading to uni soon, we will only be able to write it when she is home so it may take a while to complete but hopefully we will have written most/all of it before March 😂

Visa for Vietnam isn’t needed for UK citizens if staying 15 days or less including entry and departure days. This information is valid until 2021, so unless you are in Vietnam for longer than that or the rules change after Brexit, then you don’t need a visa. Although you may for Cambodia of course.

We were very worried about food as Georgia doesn’t like much veg or any rice and I was worried about cleanliness of the restaurants or if we would enjoy the food. We had to practice with chopsticks before we went as we had never used them before 😂 . After the holiday we all agreed the food was a highlight of the holiday and in spotless clean restaurants with excellent service.

If you like food, you will enjoy our report as we have lots of good food photos 😀

Edited at 09:18 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Yay - you have started!

Looking forward to hearing all about it! I love Asia but have yet to visit Vietnam!

I would have thought brie omelette would be ok but you have convinced me never to try it!

Your evening meal looked much better!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Yay - you have started!

Looking forward to hearing all about it! I love Asia but have yet to visit Vietnam!

I would have thought brie omelette would be ok but you have convinced me never to try it!

Your evening meal looked much better!
Yes, finally started 😀 This is going to take a while as we are going to have to write it around uni terms, but we will complete it I promise.

Although I know Vietnam won’t be your next Asian trip 😂 , you should go sometime.

I don’t know why the brie omelette was so bad but it was terrible, we all laughed to think we were worrying about the food in Vietnam after eating that 😂 The evening meal was much better though

Edited at 10:00 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’m really looking forward to your trippie. We had a few holidays in Asia in the late 70s but never got to Vietnam - not a good place to go then - so I’m going to enjoy reading about your experience.
Thanks in advance, 🙂
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
I’m really looking forward to your trippie. We had a few holidays in Asia in the late 70s but never got to Vietnam - not a good place to go then - so I’m going to enjoy reading about your experience.
Thanks in advance, 🙂
I do hope you enjoy the report, hopefully it will inspire you to visit 😀 . We visited the War Museum on our first full day there, it was heartbreaking to see. We had planned to see the Chu Chi Tunnels but after seeing the War Museum we were too upset to go 😢
Old 31 Aug 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

I can completely understand the nerves, especially going somewhere so different to what we are used to. But it's also really exciting and must have been lovely knowing that you were going to see Ian and have some quality time with him.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Great start. I'm really looking forward to reading this. Vietnam is on my bucket list, I've always wanted to go as my best friend in primary was a refugee from Vietnam (one of the Vietnamese boat people). Her Dad and 3 eldest brothers got on a boat out whilst she was left on the dock with her Mum and youngest brother and sister. It took 3 years for them to be able to leave and be reunited.

Edited at 12:15 PM.
Twin mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
I can completely understand the nerves, especially going somewhere so different to what we are used to. But it's also really exciting and must have been lovely knowing that you were going to see Ian and have some quality time with him.
The day we booked flights I nearly backed out as I was so nervous, it was only the thought of seeing Ian that made me push the book button. I’m so pleased we went though, we made so many wonderful memories
Old 31 Aug 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Great start. I'm really looking forward to reading this. Vietnam is on my bucket list, I've always wanted to go as my best friend in primary was a refugee from Vietnam (one of the Vietnamese boat people). Her Dad and 3 eldest brothers got on a boat out whilst she was left on the dock with her Mum and youngest brother and sister. It took 3 years for them to be able to leave and be reunited.
You really should go, it’s amazing to see how the Vietnamese people have rebuilt their lives after those terrible years.

Are you still in touch with your friend? I had no idea of exactly how life must have been there at that time but the War Museum opened our eyes to some very sad stories
Old 31 Aug 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
You really should go, it’s amazing to see how the Vietnamese people have rebuilt their lives after those terrible years.

Are you still in touch with your friend? I had no idea of exactly how life must have been there at that time but the War Museum opened our eyes to some very sad stories
I'm not I'm afraid. Her family moved to Birmingham when we were 10, she didn't tell me until the day before as she was so upset. We stayed in contact until our late 20's but then lost touch.